Word Wall Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Daisyd, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

We are mandated by my district to have word walls and I would love some advice on making them practical. Do you use terms from all subject areas or just focus on dolch words? Do you rotate out words or keep building all year? If you keep them up all year, how do you fit them all? Thanks for any advice! :thanks:

3. Thom'n'Sarahmom

Thom'n'Sarahmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Which grade level do you teach?
    It's interesting that the district mandates it - but does not support you with training.
    Ideally you should have the words up all year...
    In primary you should have homophones, and homonyms on different colored papers, so that the children don't get confused. I cut my words out in "wordshapes" -and have the vowels in RED and consonants in black. (I teach 2nd)
    The word wall grows as you go along. We try to keep only the High Frequency words on the word wall. Content area words are on a separate word wall - or posters throughout the room.
    I begin the year with putting the students' names up - because it looks so barren at first... once the other words (from weekly word-study focus words) come up - I "retire" the names...
    There are a few good books on Word Walls out there.... see if you can't get your hands on one or two of them....