Word to the Wise

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. C, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Ms. C

Ms. C Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Someone once told me never to schedule 2 interviews on one day. What if those are the only times a principal has avalaible??? So I just scheduled my THIRD interview for tomorrow. One at 9am, one at 1:30pm and one at 4:30pm. The earlier two are assistant positions-so here's to hoping they don't last anymore than an hour each so I can make it to my first teaching interview on time!

*sigh*

:dizzy: I will feel like I have whip-lash by the end of tomorrow. It will be totally worth it though.

Thank you everyone on this board for your support. I have been mostly a lurker for a year or so, with a few recent posts. Many of you have helped me without even knowing it :)

3. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 5, 2013

Wow, three interviews in one day? You'll probably feel like you ran a marathon!

Good luck. I hope you get an offer!

P.S. None of the interviews I've ever had have lasted longer than 45 minutes to an hour. I think you'll be okay! ;)

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

Good Luck!!!

5. Ms. C

Ms. C Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Funny you should say that. I went on an interview Friday that started at 9am and ended at 11am! It did NOT take me 2 hours to complete an interview, but they ran behind from the first interview...a lot. If it weren't for that particular interview I wouldn't be as nervous, lol. Luckily the schools are less than 30 minutes from each other.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Wow, I am tired just reading that. It does sound like you left yourself plenty of time between interviews. I have scheduled multiple interviews in one day before and looked at the first one as a "practice" interview. I was better after practicing my interviewing skills in an interview at least once earlier in the day. Good luck!!

7. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 5, 2013

I guess I've been lucky to have my interviews start pretty much on time. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes past my original interview time! Annoying? Yes, but what can you do when you're desperate for a job?

I think you've given yourself plenty of time between interviews. :)

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

Good luck! That´s great that you have quite a few possibilities out there.

9. ayla

ayla Companion

Aug 5, 2013

I also have done 3 interviews in one day (because I was relocating). The first time I was close to not making the last one with rush hour traffic but it worked out just fine. The second time it was an interview the night before right after driving up in rush hour rainy traffic, then two interviews the next day (including a demo). I didn't get any of those jobs but I wouldn't have changed it. The job I got I had to wait an hour for the interview because they were so far behind.

10. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Last year I did 4 interviews in one day... the last one was a Skype interview. Unfortunately I did not land a position with any of them.

Good luck.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

Good luck! :)

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

I think you might feel more comfortable on your second and third interview if it's the same day. We become nervous, stressed, don't know what to expect, fear the worst, and then if you have a great interview you see how easy it is, and you'll have your confidence shoot right up. If your first interview doesn't go too well, at least you'll still feel like it was bad, but you survived it, and it can only be better.

At least that's how I would feel, I think scheduling several interview in one day might actually be a good idea, as long as there is enough time in between. The worst thing would be to be late, or rush and then get nervous because of that.

13. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

Good luck!!!

14. Ms. C

Ms. C Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Thank you everyone for the good luck wishes! It actually turned into 4 interviews in one day. One of which was a phone interview that I took literally 30 minutes before my last interview in the school's parking lot! That phone interview evolved from an in person interview to a 2nd interview with the Super (yet to come). I definately think the earlier interviews played a BIG part in my confidence in later interviews.

15. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Oh wow!! Looking forward to hearing what's to come. I have a feeling you're going to be snatched up very soon. :)

16. Ms. C

Ms. C Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Well, I did the interview with the Super this morning and was offered the job! I am officially a middle school math teacher! There are two positions. They are waiting for the other candidate to meet with the Super before deciding where we will go--7th grade or multi grade (6th, 7th and 8th)

Surreal.

17. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Aug 8, 2013

I'm so happy for you! :) Congratulations!

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2013

Congrats!!

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

I had two on the same day, and the first school was running over an hour behind. I walked into my second interview with only 2 minutes to spare.

As long as they are close, your interviews are far enough apart that they should be doable.

Good luck!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

Wow- didn't read the whole thread.

Congratulations!

21. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Congrats!

22. vazqueja

vazqueja Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

that's awesome! congrats!

23. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2013

Holy cow, Mrs. C.! that was fast!!!!!

Did you attach just resume or references etc. as well?

Congrats!!!!!!

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2013

Congratulations! :)

25. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

That is great! Congratulations!

26. Ms. C

Ms. C Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

I just did the short version of my cover letter. The e-mail was about 5-6 sentances long. I attached my resume for consideration, but I also had applied to the online system. Everything here is through aplitrax--nearly everything anyways. So they were able to look me up if they wanted to. I didn't want to bombard them because I knew I was borderline annoying them.

Thank you everyone for the congrats.

So, I had another interview on Thurs for a para position with 7 principals (multiple openings in district). They are checking my references-should I let them know now that I accepted a certified offer or wait to see if they offer a position? I am just unsure who to contact if I do tell them but I want to be courtious to them.

27. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Congrats, Ms. C!!

I'd just wait until the principal(s) offered you a position, especially since otherwise you'd have to be calling so many. As far as being courteous, all it takes is simply answering the phone when they call and politely turning down the offer. That's not burning a bridge; that's just being honest. :)

28. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 9, 2013

Congratulations, Ms. C! Good luck in your new job.