WORD STUDY

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Pac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Pac

Pac Rookie

Jan 8, 2009

Happy New Year

Do you have time in the week for word study?

If so, would you like to share what your routine for word study is for fifth grade?

Thanks in advance!

3. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jan 10, 2009

My WS program is very fluid. Sometimes, I go every second day (usually M, W, F) but it depends on the activities assigned and whatever else is getting in the way. Time span is 15-20 minutes, depending on how much work we need to take up from the previous day.

I'll run a list of words for two-weeks with a test on the second Friday. It's not a spelling dictation, however. There are 15 words in the list (taken from a spelling resource I use called Spelling Success); for the test I make up "fill-in-the-blank" sentences for 11 of the words; the remaining four are to be used in a sentence that the student comes up with. It forces them to not only remember the spelling but the usage and context as well. The second part of the test is usually a grammar concept (use of apostrophes, synonyms, prefixes etc.) reflecting the activities that come with that week's list of words.

I find it works well for me since it doesn't rely solely on the student memorizing the words. Knowing how to use the words is more important than knowing how to spell them without knowledge of usage, in my opinion. Usage must be taught; spelling can always be corrected. The words that I ask them to use in sentences tend to be the lesser known words, thus encouraging them to know their meaning and usage to make sure it fits in the sentence properly.

Hope this helps.

4. Pac

Pac Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

THANKS ALOT