Word Study

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Carebear05, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Last year I had Title I kids so I did Word Study a lot differently. This year I am planning on doing it before we start Reading, but I am doing circle, center, seatwork with them and need some word study activties for them to do in their WS notebooks during seatwork. They will only be doing it Mon.-Thurs. When I student taught 3rd grade my students had WS activities everyday but they also had a WS textbook that they did activties from. I am just having to come up with my own. If any of you use WS or know of any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

3. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I teach first grade and I like to do word sorting activties. I have found some really good word sorting books in various catalogs. A really good one is from Really Good Stuff. It is a yellow book. It has the words already written. All you have to do is xerox them and let the kids cut them out and sort them after your lesson. Kids love to write on chart tablets too. I let my kids brainstorm words for sorting to write on the chart. Use different colored markers too. They like that as well. You know green for beginning consonant and yellow for middle vowel, red for final consonant. Hope this helps a bit.