Word study

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by nc3teacher, Jul 15, 2008.

1. nc3teacher

nc3teacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

This is my second year and I’m busy coming up with lots of things that I would like to do this year- things that need to change and also things I want to add to the classroom. My question is, if you do “word study” using “Words their Way” or something of the sort, what types of things do you have the kids do during their “word study” block? I’m trying to set up centers/workstations during our “Workshop” time (we use Imagine it and they have about an hour of independent work time), and I didn’t know what I should have my kids do during this part of the day. I would like to be able to use the words they use during “word study” as their spelling words for the week. Also, do you have a “word study notebook/folder” I’d like to have the backbone of this notebook together before the kids come back in a month, so any help you can give me would be GREAT! Thanks in advance!

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I have my kids do:
    Monday: Teacher introduces the sort to the students
    Tuesday: Word study group does a Partner sort
    Wednesday: Word study partners do a Word Hunt
    Thursday: Word study partners do a Speed Sort
    Friday: Word Study partners do a Writing Sort on dry erase boards then a Writing Sort on paper (this is their test, they test each other and it is collected)

Words Their Way has a ton of word study games. I plan to have them work on the games throughout the week as well. Each one of my students also have Word Study notebooks which they use daily to record their word hunts, writing sorts etc. They actually glue the sort in their notebooks at the end of the week as well. I got a GREAT idea from another thread and it was to laminate small manila envelopes for each student and hot glue each envelope inside their notebooks. This way they can keep their words in their notebooks in an organized way during the week without the hassle of the words getting lost, misplaced etc.