Word Sorts Center

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sdteacher619, Oct 11, 2008.

1. sdteacher619

sdteacher619 New Member

Oct 11, 2008

Hi everyone,

I was just hired as a first-year teacher during the fourth week of school! :eek:

I am gradually working on getting my classroom set up and luckily I have some very supportive teachers at the school that are helping me. My question is about setting up a Word Sorts center. I have used word sorts in guided reading groups in my student teaching and I think they will make a good center, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to best set up a station for center time that students will be able to use independently.

Can anyone help with resources and also a breakdown of how they organize materials for this type of center?

Thanks!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

Check out Words Their Way. It's a great resource for word sorts etc. I haven't used it in centers because we don't do them but I'm sure it can be used in that way.

4. sdteacher619

sdteacher619 New Member

Oct 12, 2008

Thanks trayums,

I have heard of Words Their Way before. I think I can probably come up with word lists to sort, because I have a few resources for that. My main concern at this point is logistically how to set up the center. Do people make baggies with the words? Use file folders? Have the students write the words after they sort them? etc.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2008

The baggies sound really good. Maybe you could have some sort of recording sheet. Are you just going to have them sort words or are you going to do letters for them to make words. When my kids make words, I have laminated sheets where they record the words they make for each phonics element. It works well and can be erased very easily.

6. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I color code everything . I found some books (they're at school, but if you want me to send you the info, shoot me a PM) that have tons of word sorts by vowels, etc and they are color coded and I used color coded file folders, laminated & put a pocket on for the cards. As far as self check, I use symbols on the back of the cards so they can. (Since blue stays with blue, etc clean-up and organization is super easy.) I have them on a desk, in one of those upright paper sorters (does that make any sense at all?!? lol)

trayums..love that idea & I'll be laminating on Monday!

7. martin20

martin20 New Member

Dec 10, 2008

DO you have these book info?

8. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

I LOVE fcrr.org. They have TONS of printable phonic/phonemic awareness activities to print. I use most of them as a pocket chart center. I print them all on cardstock, label the backs with the number of activity, and then laminate them.

To store them, I print the instructions for the sort and tape them to a large manilla envelope, which I then laminate. I keep the cards inside these folders. The envelopes are durable and loose cards are easily returned to their right home by the number on the back.

It is time consuming at first but then you have them forever!