Word Order

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 16, 2007

What are some ways you teach word order?

We did a worksheet for morning work the other day, and a lot of the kids were lost. I just wanted to see what they knew, so it was informative!

I was thinking I could write a sentence, cut it up, and put it into a bag. I could give it to groups of 2. Students can put their sentence together, read it, write it, and illustrate it. Then I can put the bags in a pocket chart center, and students can repeat the activity.

Any other ideas?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2007

One thing I did was make a sentence book. I made boxes on the computer (ie, mini pages) and had the students cut up their mini pages along with the cover page and staple it. Then they decorated the front. The inside has the parts of a sentence (who, doing what, where/when....etc). Then I had a sheet of paper with a word bank. I made them cut the words and glue them to the appropriate page. If I did it again I would make a poster with these words (parts of sentence words) and a picture corresponding to what that means and then we brainstormed some words to put there and let that be a visual during the activity. When the students were finished, there was another lesson about the parts of sentence and their order (the poster should have it in the correct order already) and teach them to pick one word from each. Of course this is a basic sentence structure, but it helps reinforce that sentences do have a structure. Model it. Then let them play with their books and see what they come up with.

We've done the pocket chart sentence strip plenty of times. We practice all year long with that. I even have envelopes with sentences in them (on cut up sentence strips) and they are to assemble the sentence and write it on paper during a practice center.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 16, 2007

You reminded me of a book I have, "Write a Super Sentence." I should use that too. Maybe even make a center for that too. Maybe we can make a poster with a bunch of word choices for who, did what, when, where, etc., the kids can choose one word from each part and make a silly sentence. hmmmm.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 16, 2007

Hehe..I chose my words for the book they cut up carefully so that they would have real sentences.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 16, 2007

There is a process in Montessori called the grammar symbols. It is a visual way to explain the location of words in a sentence depending on its part of speech.
    example: article adjective and noun are always next to each other in a sentence unless you have multiple adjectives or a compound noun. Sooooo, Montessori designates the article with a geometric shape of a small triangle and colored light blue.
    Montessori designated the medium size triangle and shaded dark blue as 'the adjective'. AND, for the NOUN, montessori designated a LARGE black triangle. (a pronoun is a Tall skinnny dark purple triangle)
    The verb and the adverb are usually before or after each other. SOOOOO, montessori designated the adverb as a small orange circle and the verb as a large red circle.
    There is also the conjunction which is a pink minus sign, or what i like to call the helping hands(like a momma herding her young) which keep the nouns together or the verbs together or pulls two separate sentences together.
    Then there is the green frown or bridge that ties the who and the what to the where- That is the Preposition
    An Interjection is a golden key hole. Which is really a small circle with a triangle at the bottom of it. Why? Because an Interjection acts as noun and a verb!

If you search the atoz archives for grammar symbols posts from mommaruthie, there may be other explanations of this concept there.