word from for base and exponents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

My school has recently switched to Go Math (or as I like to call it Go Away Math as it's driving us all insane) and one lesson I have this week is on powers of 10 and exponents. I'm surprised at their word form.

If I have a base of 5 and an exponent of 4, I have always called this "five to the fourth power." They call it "the fourth power of five." Part of the lesson has the kids writing the word form so I need to teach it to them the way the book has it.

Is this normal? I'm much more comfortable saying "ten to the seventh power" rather than "the seventh power of ten" but my book wants me to do it the second way.

Looking for insight as to if I'm odd and have been saying it wrong for years and years, if this is something new, or if this is just one more thing that Go Math does differently than all other math I've been exposed to. My hubby (former middle school and high school math teacher) agrees with me and says he's always called it the way I do.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

I've always said it the same way as you.

It's certainly the way I would WRITE it-- base first. So it seems the more logical way to say it.

Do you have to say it exactly as the book has it written? I tend to use the book as just a jumping off place.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

I teach both ways.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

I've never heard "the fourth power of five." I guess it still works, grammatically, but it seems weird.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

Teach it both ways. In what way do your standardized tests refer to exponents?

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

Alice, it's my understanding from the district that they feel strongly we have to teach everything the way the book does.

Cza, as far as I recall on the PSSA they won't be asked to name it, just solve problems with exponents in it. So for PSSA tests it won't mater. But for the chapter test from the book they need to know it the way they call it.

I'll just teach it the way the book says to and their six grade math teacher might just look at them like they're a bit odd when they use the new phrasing. I'm just glad to hear I'm not crazy and it is indeed the book's wording that is odd. But at this point I'll do what I'm told and use the wording from the book. That is assuming I can un-teach myself the way I have always said it and say it their way!