Word Family Spinners?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lemonhead, Apr 7, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

I was given several of these by a teacher. I am not yet a teacher, just a sub and I don't know how you use these. There are 10 different spinners. On the little box she had them in, she labeled it "Word Family Spinners".

They are spinners with different chunks or vowel sounds. For example long o sound spinner can land on
    -ose
    -ole
    -oke
    -old

etc.

All I have are the spinners and I can't figure out what the kids do with them. Possibly spin it and then make a word with what it lands on and write the word down? Do you think there might be a whole other part of the game that she didn't give me? Oh and I just noticed one spinner simple has vowels on it.

Hopefully one of you know. Thank you so much

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

The next time you're at the school where the teacher is at, I would stop by her room and thank her for the games, but then ask her to explain how the games work.

4. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

May 7, 2008

I would use it to make as many word gamily words as I could. Maybe 2-3 kids at a center. One spins it and then has 30 secs-1mins to write as many word family words as they can think of. My kinder kids would absolutely love this game. I would maybe accept nonsense words in the beginning and then make them cross them off as time went by to only allow real words. I can see this being a hoot! I'm not sure if that is the actual game but I'd like it!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 7, 2008

Too funny. I ended up asking the teacher how she used them and she said what you just described. Thanks!!

6. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

May 10, 2008

Our current reading program came with blank spinners that we can write on with overhead markers and erase. The way they play the games is to take turns spinning the spinner. Whatever it lands on they have to come up with a word using that word part. Then it's the next person's turn.