Woo Hoo

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mrs. R., Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

My classroom is set up, my plans are made, my copying is done. Last night I worked on the beta version of my website. Now I need to know:
    1. if everything works (I think it does, but I never trust my own test).
    2. if everything makes sense.

Would someone go to this link and let me know?

http://www1.northbrook28.net/~mrench

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2006

Looks great! I didn't read everything, but your links all work. :)

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

Thanks. I don't expect anyone to read all the assignments and stuff. I've used those for a couple of years. Basically I was just interested in the first page and the links.

5. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

Looks good. The only thing I would change is the social studies assignment sheet is hard to see the date either bold the dates or indent like the LA assignment sheet.

6. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

Very nicely done!!! ;) :D ;) :D ;)

I read it all and I'm liking it! Your word whisper has a "T" in it. Whoops!:) :) :) :)

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

Website looks great!

I noticed that you divide your grades in your ELA classes by content area, and was wondering how you weight different assignments within each catergory. For example, in the grammar part of your grade would a grammar homework be worth the same as a grammar test, quiz, etc?

8. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

:) I wondered the same thing!!!:)

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

This is a question teachers ask, but kids never do! I divide the grades as equally as I can so that the three major areas are reflected in the grade in relation to the time we spend on them in class. In the past, I would have so many grammar/vocab grades that those grades would make up the majority of the final grade. Now the kids and parents see that ALL parts of the LA class are equally important.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

Thanks! I'll fix that! This is the second year I've used that handout, and neither I nor my co-teacher caught that. When that happens in class I give extra credit to kids who find errors. :)

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

Surprise! I was that kid who found typos in textbooks! :sorry:

I think Brendan Ryan was wondering how you weigh tests vs. classwork or homework in each of your categories. I was wondering too.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

I see the rationale behind that now! So in the grammar part of your grade a grammar homework would be worth the same as a test? or do you only count tests in the catergories?

Lucky you that your kids don't question you about grades. At my school kids are always questioning my co-workers and I about their grades and how we graded each and every paper. This is why I am making a highly detailed grading policy to hand-out this year!

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, it's better to have kids who care about school, then who don't!

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

Oops...forgot to address that. No...homework assignments usually run 15-25 points and tests are out of 100. There are more homework assignments than tests, so the daily work is more of their grade.
    I don't feel like I'm explaining this very well. But it does make sense....really! :)

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

Oh, they question me about the grades, all right. They ask about each and every point. I guess I just do a better job explaining this in class than I am doing here!

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 24, 2006

I understand you now! So basicly averages are found by dividing the points possible/total for each catergories,multiplying each by the catergory's weight and then adding them up. For your SS classes, are your grades all out of 100 points or are they the same as your LA grades.

Sorry for all these questions!

16. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2006

First of all, I don't do the math. I am hopeless at Math! If I had to figure my own grades, it would all be a straight average. We use Powergrade, which makes weighting things easy.
    Second in social studies, the daily work also runs between 15 and 25 points. Quizzes are about 40 points each, and the kids have one EVERY Friday except for when tests fall on Friday. Tests are always 100 points. Binders range from 75 to 80 points, depending on how long the unit is.

17. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 25, 2006

Ok...I understand...you have your grades set up with points not percentages. That's what I think the confusion was. My web-based grade book also allows me to select whether I want to use points or percentages. I've always selected percentages. With percentages, you would allot ...let's say...50% for tests, 30% for classwork, and 20% for homework for each subject. What you do is break down the categories of your class into percentages and then use a point system within those categories! WOW!!!! Aren't you glad we let the computer do the calculations? At my new school, I met some teachers who still figure it all out with a calculator!!!! CRAZY!!! What are they thinking?