Won't hire me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by js15206, Jun 9, 2011.

1. js15206

js15206 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

I have been teaching for 10 years and resigned last school year due to family reasons. So I just found my dream job at a school district in Maryland. The curriculum supervisor along with the Principal absolutely loved me and recommended me for hire.

So I get an email from HR stating that my application was incomplete without 3 references. I submitted 6 letters of recommendation which included both colleagues and supervisors. I guess they have their own official form for references. The problem is that my last 6 supervisors (which is all of them) have retired and I have no way to contact them. They won't accept the personal letters from my former supervisors (even though they are originals and signed) and now I'm stuck.

I am so upset that this job hinges on such a formality. Any ideas? I have never had something like this happen.

3. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 9, 2011

:) Find other references

4. js15206

js15206 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

I can find 2 colleagues to fill it out, but they specifically stated that they cannot hire me without a reference from a supervisor.

5. Want2Educate

Want2Educate Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

Have you contacted the schools they worked at? Sometimes they can either give you contact information or will contact your former supervisor and tell them to contact you.

I had a friend in the same position and it's very frustrating.

You could always try facebook or googling. I know those are both long shots but with a job on the line I would try anything.

6. js15206

js15206 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

I tried the last known email address I have. I am hoping for some luck. The school district said because of confidentiality they do not give out info. I tried Facebook and Myspace but they were retiring so they weren't into technology.

The school I want to work at just doesn't understand I was at an inner city school district with an outrageous teacher and administration turnover. Most Principals only lasted a year or two.

Gosh, I feel like I'm stalking them. :eek:

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2011

Is there an assistant principal or department head you could use instead? Call the Maryland district and explain that the principal has retired and you do not have contact information; ask who they would like you to use instead.

8. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 9, 2011

If this is all that stands between you and a job, you NEED to get their contact information. Use whatever means you have at your disposal (Facebook, Yahoo People Search, etc). Send a note to the old school and have them forward it for you.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

Are there any colleagues who kept in touch with your old admins? That is how I found my fmr. P's phone number. Somebody I had worked with had kept in touch with her. I would try any way you can to get that contact info.

10. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jun 12, 2011

try the website whitepages.com. It is an online phone book and what i used when looking for people for a class reunion