Wonderful Aides! Wonderful Teachers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Jan 20, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2008

This board is a wonderful place to vent especially when we are working close with someone who we feel just doesn't get it or does something to bug us. What we don't hear enough of is what makes us wonderful. So teachers, tell us what you love about your aide. Aides, share what you like most about your teachers.

I love my teacher because she respects my opinion and my work and lets me contribute in areas I'm best at. I love her for that. She has given me a chance to grow and has been a wonderful mentor.

Now it's your turn. Aides and Teachers...let's get motivating!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 20, 2008

I love my aide because she will do anything - really! kindergarten shares an aide who will hear you mention that you haven't had time to do X or that you aren't doing a project because you don't have time to cut it out - and she will just do it :) She never grumbles about cutting things out, working one-on-one, or running copies (one of her big jobs). I love knowing that after our planning meetings she will make the copies and put it all in our boxes ready to go.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2008

I love my aides!! They are great! They get right in there and do what is needed and then some. They are really motivated. Sometimes they seem to be up to their eyeballs in diapers and poo (especially if parent send their kids to school with the runs!). They are creative when it come to crafts and fun activities. They work well with the children, too. Loving when they need to be and firm, too. The keep the room clean and smelling fresh (especially after those rounds of stinky diapers!) Being preschool special ed, they have to do more than you would in a regular class. They know how to put on braces, clean around g-tubes, wipes snot noses and dirty hind ends, clean up drool, puke, etc. I had one aide last year that really kept me organized. If I needed something, she would know where it was. We all bring extra food and such if someone doesn't have snack or lunchroom food is just not desirable. So no one is going to go hungry.

I'm very lucky!!!!! No complaints here!!!!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 20, 2008

I love my aide because she is more organized than I am! On Fridays, her schedule is really light, so she spends the day doing anything we need her to. And when she comes in to ask me what I need, and I say nothing or I can't think of anything or I can't remember what I wanted you to do, she says "Didn't you want that poster laminated?" or "How about those math pages you needed copied?" Love her!

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2008

OH one of mine says she is the "boss" on Fridays... LOL, so I let her! We're more relaxed on Fridays anyway. If it is a special project she wants to do, then we do it. If we're all PMSing or just sick with a cold, she'll make things better... lol. Gotta love'em all!!

7. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

I just started a job as a intervention aide at a middle school. The teachers are very supportive. I love how they give me time to get errands done.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2008

I don't have an aide, but I will tell you about some of the wonderful colleagues I have. My team of teachers are true professionals. Sharing ideas, discussing philosophy, caring for children. My district actually has study groups, initiated by teachers, in my building exploring various topics. We are passionate about what we do, actively seek new and innovative ways to deliver instruction and keep current on research through professional reading and classwork. It is a great group to work with- I'm lucky to work with these true professional educators.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2008

I miss the assistant who worked with me last year (she's been reassigned to work with grade 7 and 8s this year). I had an extremely difficult year last year, for many reasons, and I honestly couldn't have gotten through it all without her. She was consistent with discipline, taught math lessons to half of my groups, helped my students with homework in any of their subjects--my program could not have operated without her. (And I was sure to tell her often just how invaluable she was!)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2008

My first year teaching 2 years ago was teaching kinder. She wasn't an aide, but was one of the Title 1 reading teachers I had worked with the year before as a LTS in that position. She would come in for an hour in the mornings with my class and do centers with me. She was AWESOME!!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 20, 2008

Now that's a great trait to have. My teacher says I think ahead compared to her. I do but I quickly forget. I've gotten to where I remind her via email because by the time I get to class I will have forgotten!

Did I mention I love my teacher because she makes her own copies. Yecch. I hate making copies unless i just need a break from the kids. It's amazing that I can do a thousand little things but she never asks me to clean or make copies. Bless her! It would certainly be within my job duties. I do get a bee up my bonnet and stay after hours and do a mass overhaul with organization but I rarely "clean."

Oh and I love her because when she needs me to do any written communication, proof the homework, etc and I'm obviously busy with my typical aide duties, she will take over my stuff while I do that so I don't get overwhelmed and behind. Gotta love that!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 20, 2008

I have an AMAZING aid this year. She is so good, she is teaching math to my guided math groups this year. She actually has an MBA and is better at math than me! (She is an aid so she can work less hours while her kids are in school, she formerly worked in the corporate world.)

She checks all the papers and helps me keep up on paperwork, which is a weakness of mine. We also file and clean my desk on Friday when the kids are in library. I am so much better organized this year because of her. She is great to talk to and gives me good feedback and insights about the kids.

She is very pragmatic and organized, which works so well for me because I am a more scattered creative type. We feed off one another. She is even going to help me plan a unit, so she can teach the kids some things she is good at and incorporate that into a novel study!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 21, 2008

I worked with my favorite parapro. 2 years ago. She got her teacher's certificate and is now teaching my old class :). I always told her that she reminded me as me. We just clicked and we could find something funny out of even the most extreme situation. Every couple of weeks when we were bored and looking for some excitement, one of us will flick the lights in the classroom and the other one will shout "Let's get ready to rumble!" and we will both start singing the tune to the song and dance around the classroom. Our class of 10 autistic boys "LOVED" it and our dancers will get up and dance with us. They always would ask us if we could rumble. She helped me out a lot with the american social studies, was very sure of herself and her skills and would not balk at dealing with behaviors.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 21, 2008

That's kinda the whole secret behind a good working team that clicks isn't it. The ability to balance each other's strengths and weaknesses. I love it!

That's why it is important for admin to be smart when they pair people and consider personalities and abilities.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 23, 2008

Reason 101 why I love working with my teacher....

Just when I'm tired and ready to give out she says things like "I don't know what I would do if you weren't here to help with...." or "I'm gonna be in trouble if you aren't with me anymore."

We are going through your standard budget cuts and I'm a low man on the pole. So those statements mean a lot right now even if I know she'll be just fine on her own.