Women Getting Thinning Hair!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I don't know what's been happening lately. My hair has gotten gradually thinner over the yrs, but especially in the last 1-2 yrs. Don't know why. I was NEVER on any meds, not seriously ill, nor had no more stress than usual. My hair is extremely, extremely long, just nowhere near as thick as it used to be. I have been dying it since my early to mid-20s, but never every few wks: Done by salon about 1-2x's a yr. Done myself using the non-ammonia kind, about every 1-2 mos.

I've really got to do something fast! I just ordered this hair food cream to put on my scalp that I used as a child that always kept my hair in good condition AND these hair, skin, & nails tablets w/ 15 nutrients & high levels of Biotin.

Any other ideas?

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 13, 2014

Unfortunately I think it's one of those things that come w/age. I'm a few years younger than you, but I can definately tell a difference in my hair. My ponytails aren't are full as they used to be.

Not sure what kind of texture your hair is, but I noticed my hair looks thinner when I straighten it. Even though it's easier to manage that way, sometimes I wear it curly because it looks fuller. To wear my hair curly, I wash it, section my hair off, apply leave in detangler and comb through, then I apply a curl activating gel to each section, comb thru, then I do two strand twists (instead of braiding hair you literally take 2 sections and twist them to the end and let it hang).

The only downside is (for me) if I don't apply moisturizer and retwist each night, my curls become poofy and aren't as defined. The retwisting isn't too bad though, it only takes about 10 - 15 minutes each night.

Aside from that, not sure what else to suggest since you're already doing supplements and hair food.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

Hormones can be a factor in hair loss.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

Could also be genetic. My grandmother was practically bald by 45-she used to wear these horrible wigs. My hair is pretty thin now but I try to get it cut so I can add a little more volume. I've tried many, many of the products out there. Nioxin is one that seemed to at least prevent more from falling out. My dermatologist recommends Rogaine for men-but my understanding is that you have to use that forever once you start and it costs about 50$ a month. I've just come to grips with the fact that I will probably always have thin hair.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 13, 2014

Edit: what about your diet? i used to eat a lot of fast food and when I did cook at home, it was unhealthy. back then my hair would barely grow to chin length before it'd break off. i also had a lot of shedding.

when i started losing weight, i ate more veggies and protein. plus a multi-vitamin. now my hair is at the bottom of my bra strap.

i know your hair is already super long, but maybe changes in diet will make it thicker? maybe you should talk to your doctor for advice incase Cza is right and it is hormonal.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I had extremely thick perfectly straight hair until my late teens. It started thinning and changing texture. I have had all kinds of tests and used all kinds of products. Nothing helped significantly. My is genetic, so I'm out of luck. I have androgenic alopecia.

Now my hair is thin, fine and curly!

Mine got to the point where I was very self-conscious of it, so my stylist helped me start looking at wigs. Best thing ever! I'd say I've been wearing them 7-8 years now.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2014

http://www.iht9.com/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQYMPL2...=UTF8&colid=K94PWMGLK8UI&coliid=IVU0NXCFK8C96

Reading in a hair care section of a beauty forum & other places online, there seems to be great reviews about the above brand. Fortunately, you can get it through Amazon. Maybe many of us should try it. It's all natural.

That's true about diet, genetics, & hormones too. I also read it could be a thyroid issue. My mom's hair was never really the thickest. Mine was until a couple or so yrs after I started dying it.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

I would speak to your stylist-perhaps they can give you some advice. Is your hair brittle as well? Perhaps the colouring or your shampoo or other products are having an effect over time. Heredity, age and hormones are most likely. What is your dad's hair like?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2014

No, my hair isn't brittle & my dad's in his mid 80s & still not bald...just has really thin hair.

I also have dandruff pretty much for as long as I can remember & had just bought a few sulfate-free, anti-dandruff, &/or anti-breakage shampoos to try that will work more than my usual dandruff shampoos, but this thinning is becoming a bigger concern to me.

I've heard good things about organic coconut oil, but does anyone know if it helps with thinning?

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 13, 2014

Ms. I, amazon only has one review on this product. Where else can reviews be found for this product.

Coincidentally, a friend and I were talking about this topic yesterday. We both are having this issue. The consensus seems to be hormones and age. I have been dying my hair for a long time because I have premature gray. In my case I'm not sure that would be a factor when I look at the rest of my family. My mom has been dying her hair since she was a young woman and she is now in her mid 70s. The texture may have change but she doesn't suffer from thinning hair.
    I know my hair has change drastically! I used to have very thick, very full head of hair. I did notice that my hair started changing when I came back from having lived in the desert for about 7 months. My hair was exposed to extreme hot temperatures and sand storms. That was a long time ago.
    I'm really not happy at all with the condition of my hair. It has not only thinned out but is also dry and brittle. Another thing that is happening is that my hair doesn't grow like it used to. In fact I barely have to shave because I have very little body hair growth now.
    I'm going to try to do better in taking biotin on a daily basis. Lots of people I've talked to (hair stylist, cancer and alopecia patients) swear by it. I hope it can help my hair some what. I also want to explore other things that can help my hair as well.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2014

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I'm on three medications that have possible thinning hair as a side effect. I can't not take these meds and have a good quality of life, and there aren't any alternatives that don't also have that potential side effect. When I started these meds, I started using a generic rogaine type product for women from Wal-mart that's about twenty dollars. I only use it once a day instead of the recommended two, and a bottle lasts me over three months. It's helped I think. I haven't noticed a big change- not like I expected when I started those meds anyway, so that's a huge plus. There's also a shampoo and conditioner from L'oreal that I use too.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

I think that hormones and genetics play the biggest part when it comes to hair loss.

I wouldn't really rely on any sort of topical product to get the job done. It just doesn't seem like it would do any good since the hair is already pretty much dead when it comes out of your head.

I recommend prenatal vitamins, along with a trip to the doctor.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 13, 2014

My hair dresser won't dye my hair blonde anymore. She claims that color causes the most damage.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2014

I always hear about Regenix on the radio. Maybe it would be worth a try.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

Wow, the hair loss racket is alive and well on google. I had to go 3 pages deep to find a site that wasn't an advertisement for the latest and greatest product that would give you Farrah Fawcet hair. The first 2 lines on this page say a lot...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/hair-loss/non-surgical/products

I think diet, proper nutrition through vitamins, and genetics are the root of the issue.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

With both of your parents having thin hair, there may not be a lot you can do to prevent yours thinning as well.

Are you losing it in large amounts or is the texture just thinning? A visit to a dermatologist and your GP may also be an idea so that you can rule out any underlying health or skin conditions.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

Ms. I, out of curiosity, what are your other two jobs besides being an SLP?

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 13, 2014

Probably part of aging.

If you actually notice it coming out (more than usual in the shower, or more than usual in your brush) get a blood draw to check your TSH levels. I have always had really thick hair, but it started noticeably coming out. Turns out, my thyroid was whack. It took 2 docs to figure it out, but now I am on the correct dose of Synthroid and my hair has returned to its typical thickness.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2014

Oh, my mom also said she read somewhere that shower water of a too hot temperature causes thinning hair too.

I'll PM you Caesar.

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I've been using Women's Rogaine since age 23. I had noticed tons coming out in the shower, but the real wake up call was when we had field day and my scalp got horribly burnt. I'd had outdoor jobs for years in high school and college and that had never once happened to me, so I knew my hair was significantly thinner than it had been. I have PCOS, and hair loss is an effect. I didn't expect it to start happening so young though. My mom has PCOS also and was in her mid 30's before she started noticing hair loss. Rogaine worked for her- she's in her mid 50s now and still has very full hair. I guess part of it is genetic, because it worked for me too. Supposedly it will only regrow hair in about 25% of women (for most it will just slow or stop loss), so we count ourselves fortunate. Starting it when you very first start noticing loss is supposed to help make it more effective as well. It does cause dandruff, but personally I'd rather have dandruff and have hair, lol. There are also certain types of birth control that are supposed to be better as well- my doctor switched me to a more specific brand that was supposed to help with hormones. You can also combine prescription meds to help any further, but as of right now the Rogaine is working fine on it's own. I would guess that it costs around 150-200 hundred dollars a year to keep up with...but I would pay significantly more than that if necessary to keep my hair!

I really want to color my hair. I've never had it done, but I'm a natural blonde and as I've gotten older it's become much darker to a "dishwater blonde" color. I'm afraid of damaging my hair though!

ETA: I also used this product to cover my scalp a bit more while my new hair was growing in, and liked it: http://www.amazon.com/Rivers-Great-fill-powder-Blonde/dp/B00DRFGKCM

I don't have to use it anymore, but it takes quite awhile for new hair to grow so it was a nice temporary fix to make me feel a little more confident while I was waiting.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

A lady I work with has very, very thin hair (so thin, in fact, that you can see her scalp). Anyway, she used to have shoulder length hair, but cut it before summer vacation. It looks so much better shorter (she's styling it differently, too, though).

Have you ever thought that your extremely long hair is making it look even thinner?

24. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 13, 2014

I used that Rivers stuff on my thin hair and it made my hair fall out even more. I liked how it was making my hair thicker but didn't like how it was breaking it off!

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2014

Yes & 2x in my life, I've cut it before (in which my hair was a good thickness at the time). I just don't want to cut it again just yet. And looking at my hair, no one would know it's thin at all. I just know how thick it used to be.

Hmm, never heard of Rivers, but good to know.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

I've always had thin hair. I tried the Ovation hair system with minimum results. What I've started doing is putting biotin on my hair after I shower and take a biotin vitamin in the mornings. It hasn't been very long, but I am starting to notice a difference. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in topical creams or the "latest, greatest" hair thickener.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 16, 2014

smalltowngal, yep, here's part of what I said in my OP. Glad to hear the biotin's working for you. :thumb:

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2014

My hair is thinning a lot, especially on top. I think it's genetics because my mom has really thin hair on top also. It just seems to be happening much earlier for me! When I was younger, my hair was so thick that I would have to get it thinned every time I had a hair cut! I've been using Nioxin and I think it has helped some.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2014

You know how there's that commercial for Keranique shampoo? Well, you may not want to try it. I've found at least two websites with nothing but complaints.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

People with complaints may tend to post more than those who have no problems.

I'm finding that my hair has thinned some over time and with hormonal changes. Vitamins help...also frequent trims keep hair looking healthier.

I've recently changed my hair care regimen. I was never a blow out girl, but I'm finding that it's an easy and polished look for me. I've been using a color safe shampoo and conditioner, Moroccan oil, a heat treatment for blowing and a sleeking/shine cream.really takes no time and the results are worth it.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2014

I've always pretty much used color safe shampoos/conditioners for yrs. I've also put protein lacks on pretty regularly. Also, I never really blow dried my hair...always air dried. I'm not the type who had to ever wash my hair on a work day morning in which it had to be dry quickly.