Women: Do your pants gap in the back?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 17, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 17, 2011

I have always had this problem when shopping, but for the most part, I can find some pants that don't gap in the back. However, since losing 10 pounds in the past 7 weeks, ALL of my pants gap in the back. They stick out about 3-5 inches in the back, but fit well everywhere else.

Does anyone else have this problem?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2011

I know that is an issue for a lot of my friends, but never for me. I am slim through the hips & thighs. Pants that fit me in the waist are always too big in the butt. My waist is always taken up with waist . . . no room for gaps.

I had that same problem at a size 10, and now at a size 18.

I actually had no idea what "no gap" pants were when I started seeing them in stores.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

I had this problem before since I have kind of big hips. This was an issue mostly with jeans. I started buying lower cut pants, like the a little below my waist and these are a much better fit.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 17, 2011

YES. I'm built like a stick (please don't throw things at me...) and have only found one pair of jeans since middle school (and I'm in my mid-20s now) that don't gap and fit without a belt. I should have bought several pairs when I found them, because NY&Co. changed their cuts and they don't fit anymore. :(

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 17, 2011

Mine are all saggy in the butt now. Why's I have to lose weight there?

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2011

I used to have the same problem and wore the NY Co. Jeans too, now my waist has caught up with my rear so no more issues :(

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

My did but I find that the different sizings at Lane bryant eliminate that, but I feel like they are going away from that sizing.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

Yes! I have a round rear that slopes up to a waist that's about 10 inches smaller. So any pants that have "boy cut" tend to gap just above the hips. I love pants that button below the belly button, so it's always a shopping challenge.

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2011

I'm hoping to get to the point where my pants gap in the back! :lol: Right now I have enough back there to keep it snug. :p

11. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

Mine do too! It is nearly impossible for me to find jeans that fit.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 17, 2011

Yup, mine do and it's soooo annoying! My hips are wide compared to my waist and I don't have much of a butt, not sure if that's why the pants do it though. Although I'm guessing it is because pre-kids which is also pre-wide hips, I don't recall having this issue.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

Mine don't gap. I've always carried my weight in my waist.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

Yes. I try on a million pairs of jeans to find the least gappy ones, and always wear a long undershirt tucked in to school.

Express pants used to be perfect on me, but the store here NEVER has my size in stock. Ever. Ever. I've lived here two years, and have been trying that whole time to buy jeans. When I finally caved and bought some online, they'd changed the fabric to have more spandex, and they were gross. :(

I've had good luck with Gap - the Long & lean and the Curvy cuts. Not as good as Express used to be... but ok

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 17, 2011

Yes! I have NO butt, very slim thighs, and a big waist (for my weight- I carry any extra weight I have there). Buying jeans is a nightmare! I will literally practically not be able to button them at my waist, and then I will have 4-6 inches of material just hanging off in the back and around my legs.

I've found that american eagle slim boot jeans fit me the best- it's really hard to find ones that don't have any holes there though (since we have jeans day every Friday at school).

I gave up on trying to buy jeans at department stores a long time ago.

16. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

If they GaB in the back, take them in at the back.
    Baby got back, SO no gab here.
    Rebel1:D

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 18, 2011

My waist is 26 inches and my hips are 37 inches. If I stick with ultra-low rise they fit. I just have a lot of longer shirts that I can tuck. Old Navy used to make this great curvy fit jeans but then they changed the cut. If these clothing makers would just go to a local mall, measure them and use that to figure out cuts life would be so much easier.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 18, 2011

Having them gap in the back would imply that I have some type of butt, which I do not have. Truly, my butt is flatter than my stomach, and probably the flattest anyone has seen. It is a sight to see:)

My jeans always sag in the butt or else I can yank them up to practically my bra due to flat butt syndrome.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011

Yes! And while the lower-waisted styles fit better, I don't feel comfortable wearing them, so it's always a struggle to balance those two issues...

20. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 18, 2011

I have that problem too. My hips and thighs are bigger than my waist. Levi's makes a curvy jean that seems to fit pretty well. I also like Tommy Hilfiger's "Hope" jeans that seem to avoid the gap.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Mine don't, and neither do any of my sisters'.

So I imagine it's because we're all basically the same size and shape.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2011

It is interesting that many people have this problem, despite the difference in body shape. I have a pretty small waist (28" or 29"), and my butt is...well...not as small. So, that's probably why I have this problem. I also have to find pants with a 36" inseam. So, nothing really works for me!

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

Yup, got the same problem. I do have jeans that the 1st time I wear them after being washed, no gap, but the 2nd time gap!

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I've never had this problem. I have a very flat butt and a not very flat waist :lol:

25. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

Wow it is amazing to hear how many of us have jeans problems! I can never get them long enough, and the gap! My DD has the same problem. I have altered hers with darts in the waist band, which worked out ok. But she always has to struggle with this. She shopped in a foreign country for jeans, and the woman helping her had trouble even finding her size! Now this is a country with little people. They finally found a pair tha fit, and she said to DD with admiration: "All the chicos in the world are going to love you!" hmmm

You can put a small dart in the waistband, one on each side of the center seam. Or you could insert some elastic to cinch the waistband a bit. Same thing. About a 2-3 inch strip of navy elastic sewn into equal places on each side of the center seam might tighten them up a bit.

If you don't know how to do it, go to a tailor a couple of times and see how they do it. On What Not To Wear, they always talk about fitting to the largest part of the body, then getting the piece tailored to fit otherwise.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 18, 2011

I have had this problem too...small on top larger on bottom. I went and had some jeans taken in...no more gap!