With complaints in my personel file, do I have any chance at full time work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by oldstudent, Apr 12, 2014.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 12, 2014

About a month ago, I started a thread to get opinions of whether or not the accusations against me were worthy of a write up to the district superintendent.
    I posted what was the most scathing of the three complaints against me, and the consensus was that I should have never been written up.
    Now, I am wondering if I should even bother trying to put forth the time and effort in gaining a contracted teaching job.
    I have obviously been eliminated from consideration in the district that has these complaints in my file, but I have nothing against me in either of the smaller and more pleasant districts that I work for.

Do districts make it a practice to ask for access to the personnel file of prospective employees, or do they rely solely on recommendation letters and the interviews?
    If the former is true, I would just be wasting my time, and need to look for a new career.

Also, is it a good idea to write a formal rebuttal to these complaints to the superintendent?
    I am afraid that if I do, I might not be invited back next year because I could be viewed as a potential problem.

I would welcome any thoughts

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

Any time a prospective employer calls a previous employer, you're at risk of dirty laundry coming out. It's not a guarantee that it would, but it's possible.

I'd type up a rebuttal. It'll go in your file and would at least show both sides of the story if anyone ever did look into your file.

4. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 12, 2014

I am leaning towards a rebuttal, but I would wait until I get my letter a reassurance to return next year.
    I did give the superintendent a verbal rebuttal when I was called in, but this was before I e-mailed the teachers to get their specific accusations.
    She still said I could be released if I got another complaint, and did not write down any of my verbal rebuttal in my file.

These teacher responses were given only to me, however, and were not in my file. The comments in my file were more general.

Should I refer to these comments given to me for my eyes only, when forming my rebuttal, or is this a breach of ethics?

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 12, 2014

You need to check on a time line for a rebuttal. If I remember correctly, in Iowa, we only have an allotted amount of time to respond to complaints when they are placed in our file.

That being said, I don't know anyone who has ever had their personnel file requested from another school. Of course, principals do talk and there is no guarantee as to what they will say.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of leaving the profession. Even if your file is requested, another administrator may see the complaints as frivolous and dismiss them.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 12, 2014

Principals can be very confident (some may say overconfident) in their own abilities to choose their teachers.

While your personnel file isn't going to help you, it might not disqualify you from everyone. Yes, clean it up the best you can, but after that apply in a lot of places. I do think you have a chance if you interview well.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

I'd definitely agree with saying that one or two negative parts of your file won't be a killer, even if principals do talk. If I remember right, don't you have ten years of subbing experience? You should have a lot of valuable insight to share at interviews.