Wishlist for my new classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 14, 2013

I got to see my school, my classroom, met the teachers and even some of my students yesterday. I couldn't be happier and I'm very excited!

The P said most of the budget money allowed for my classroom has been spent, since it's towards the end of the school year, but she can still get me things. There isn't a lot of technology in the classroom, but she is all for technology, and understands and welcomes my need for it. There is an old, slow teacher computer and a new TV with a DV player.

So far I asked her if I could have:
    - projector
    - computer or laptop
    - docucam if possible.

She said the first 2 is not a problem; we have to make sure the projector that is in the room (still in a box) does work, if not she can probably still get me one. I told her the docucam is not the most important, but it would help.

I want to put a list together that I will need, and was wondering if I'm leaving out something. I will be teaching English and 2 periods of World Geography. That was my choice, she asked which elective I'd like, and that's the one, I like the subject and I've taught it.

Most of these things on the list are not that expensive, I could probably buy some of them, but it doesn't hurt to ask, just in case they have them:
    - folders (one for each student to keep their individual work in)
    - the pull down screen for the projector (I could do without it if I have to)
    - a filing cabinet (I don't think there is one)

For my geography classes I really would like these:
    - a large world map (for the wall, or one that pulls down onto the board)
    - a large map of the different regions
    - 3-4 large globes

She said for next year she can get me a Smartboard, and even an iPad, so I can always wait, but these things would make learning easier for the student, and make teaching easier for me.
    I like to create Powerpoints for my lessons, and especially for Geography I like to show lots of pictures, short video clips, go on Google Earth, etc, a lot of multimedia.
    Is there anything I am leaving out that I should include? Is there a place where I could get some of these things myself (if they're relatively inexpensive)?

There is a computer lab we can use for doing esearch and typing up papers. I already have everything that I want to put on the walls, and other decorations.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2013

For English---you might want a few different colored pens for each student. It makes having students check for different things easier. I have my students highlight their thesis in one color, topic sentences in another, word choice in another, etc (whatever the requirements were).

You may want to include some novels. Not sure if you will teach any, but something to think about.

For geography, you might want a few different types of maps...maybe a physical, topographical, etc.

Also, I loved overheads for world geography. I could overlay different areas over each other. My students loved to see how many different civilizations arose in Mesopotamia.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 14, 2013

I do have an overhead. I generally dislike them, they're big, bulky, a docucam can do the same thing easier, but to use transparencies, they're great. I haven't thought of any good use for them, but what you described sounds great! So I guess I could keep it in the classroom, I actually have a lot of room, because it's very big.

I think I will include color pencils, highlighters, etc. I also wanted to ask for art supplies (pencils, construction paper, glue, etc) but forgot about it because our schools had a great supply, it was never a problem. But I think I should make sure, can't assume anything.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2013

I actually don't keep the overhead projector just the transparencies. I use my doc cam to show the overlays. It actually works quite well. My bottom paper is usually a white map of some kind.

Definitely ask about all office supplies. We have a cabinet and can come and go. But some schools make teachers order everything.

6. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Mar 15, 2013

What about shelves and books? So many of our students have a reading deficit and I've found the best offense is an overflowing classroom library with books on as many different subjects as possible.

Congrats by the way. It sounds like you have a position with great support which is better than many can find. I'm jealous of your smart board offer!

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2013

There are bookcases, (several) and there is a small classroom library. The teacher that's there said it's not the best.
    I will have to go through them, but we probably won't be doing any novels yet, we will only have 2 months and 1 week of school left. Of course I also want to find out if they can take books home from there, etc.
    The P said that the teacher there (now) is not credentialed (he's actually a LTS), and has no English background, and the kids were doing very low grade work, so low that some kinda complained that it was not challenging enough.
    We'll be using the high school textbooks (which they have) and even reading those stories will be enough for a while. We'll also spend considerable time on writing, and before we know it, school will be out.

For next year I will order reading kits, I will also have time to figure out how that works.

I can't wait to have a Smartboard! I haven't been trained, but been around them enough to know basic stuff. Yesterday at my current school I was helping another teacher, and the kids got some time left (game time) I pulled up Mahjong on the Smartboard. It was so funny how 3-4 guys got so into it, they couldn't stop. One of them kept saying 'this is really intense'.