Wishin' and Hopein'

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Dec 5, 2010.

  1. Miss J. Pre-K

    Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Messages:
    384
    Likes Received:
    0

    Dec 5, 2010

    I interviewed for two positions: one a pre-k teacher position on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and one a research assistant last Thursday. The pre-k position didn't say when they would let me know about it or when the position starts, but it was a mid-year replacement. The research assistant was a phone interview and she said she would call me this week either for an in-person interview or to let me know I didn't get it.

    I got a call from a pre-school director I had left my resume with that said he had an immediate teacher's aide position. I got the call on Friday and he set up an interview for Monday, so I think he'll fill it fast. I need a job, but I don't want to get an aide job and miss out on one of the better-paying jobs. Can I call the other positions and ask if I have a chance? What would I say?

    Also, I don't know how to ask about salary/rate of pay. Do I ask about it in the interview? How? Some interviewers have told me, some have not, and since they're not public schools, I have no idea about the wages.
     
  2.  
  3. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Dec 6, 2010

    Yes, it's OK to call other positions you're up for and ask where they are in the hiring pocesss... I've done that...

    I had had several interviews, some for jobs I wanted more than others (I'd take a full-time public school preK job a little farther away than a permanent preK floating sub in a closer district)... I'd been offered the floating sub, but had also interviewed for the regular classroom job. I called the 2nd district and asked when they expected to have their decision made... the were polite about it, and the 1st one was willing to wait a few days... but unfortunately #2 didn't get back to me in time, and I ended up with neither job... but that was because I didn't want to commit and miss out on something... it's definately OK to say "Hey, I've been offered another position, but you're my first choice. I need to let them know by ___, can you let me know before then?"

    I'm always leery of asking about salary at interviews... usually the interviewers will bring it up when they're serious or when they offer. However... if you're in a position where you need to make $x, I think it's OK to say something, especially if it involves needed to knowapprox how much you can expect to be taking home so you can begin to look for somewhere to live or know you can cover your bills. I'd wait until the VERY end, though, because it's hard to balance the neding to know about that with the not-wanting-to-look-desprate :)
     
  4. CreativeMind

    CreativeMind Rookie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2010
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    0

    Dec 7, 2010

    If these are private schools you really need to bring up the issue of salary. I have sat through very long intense interviews only to find out the salary is nowhere near what I needed to make. Needless to say my time was wasted and so was theirs.
     
  5. Miss J. Pre-K

    Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Messages:
    384
    Likes Received:
    0

    Dec 12, 2010

    Update: Found out I didn't get the pre-k position. It was paying $15 an hour, so it's kind of a bummer. Haven't heard back from the research assistant position, so I might call tomorrow to see. I went to the assistant teacher position and got offered the job at $8.50 to $10 an hour. He said because of my degree he could try to get me approved for $10 a hour. However, that's not much of a livable wage where I live. The director seems really nice though, and the preschool is top quality, and I'd love to be a teacher there. (He pays teachers as much as the public schools and they get summers off.) But he hasn't had a teacher opening in 7-8 years.

    I don't know . . . I have to let him know tomorrow if I want the job. I'm also applying for new positions available, one a lead teacher that will probably pay better and another with the public school that pays much better. I just hate to say yes to him and then have to call and tell him that I have to back out. But I probably will tell him yes.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. MrsC,
  2. futuremathsprof,
  3. greendream,
  4. Kelster95
Total: 335 (members: 4, guests: 315, robots: 16)
test