Wishes I could really send this out.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 8, 2009

Dear Trusting Parent,

I think it's wonderful that your child has finally decided to start handing in work for first marking period. However, I am unable to comply with your request that I put an A into the grade book for her while she has a 67% with the understanding that she will earn that A eventually. If she keeps up with her second quarter work and only hands in her late assignments after completing her current ones, I will consider changing her grade. While I agree that she is capable of being an A student but, putting that on paper before she proves it is in nobody's best interest.

Not So Trusting Teacher

2. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Nov 8, 2009

The good

Dear Parent :),

I would like to thank you for raising the six classiest girls in our school. I applaud you for sending them to school every day on time, ready to go, and friendly to everybody. Your girls range K-5th grade in our school, and not one teacher has had a discipline problem from any of them. They enjoy singing, and are always asking me if I need help straightening my room up. They encourage their classmates in a rough school to be kind to each other, and they will not participate in fighting or other ridiculous problems. In addition, they are all beyond their grade levels, making B's in most courses. I think that goes to show what kind of adults they will be in life. Way to go! I went to see you today at your job at McDonalds to tell you how much I enjoyed having your kids, but you were busy. Please accept this letter instead.

Your Children's Music Teacher

3. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Nov 8, 2009

The bad

Dear Parent,

I do not understand where you get the idea that your child kicking me in the legs multiple times and stealing my items is considered okay, because this day and age, it is ASSAULT. Somehow, your third grader managed to pick the lock in my room, and steal a jumbo bag of Jolly Ranchers. You say these actions are due to his "learning disability" aka ADD. Guess what? I know for a fact that my tax dollars go towards free Adderall for your child, since he was selling it on the playground. Somehow, a 3 day suspension was the punishment. That makes no sense, but we will not go there.

If your child goes so far as to TOUCH me again (after the bruises on my legs), so help me God I will use my wasp spray in my desk and call 911. Our school is not effective, and our administrators are LESS effective, but the cops sure ARE!

Sincerely,
    Your Child's Music Teacher

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

Cello, I think you do need to send a version of that one!

ETA: I meant the first one!

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

HOLY COW!!! That kid's parents have big-time problems!!!

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

I would like to buy some of that Adderall and give it to some....

NO! I DID NOT JUST TYPE THAT!!!

What is wrong with me?????

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 9, 2009

Dear Daddy,

Your faith in your daughter is lovely, but the fact remains that, in spite of your assertations that puberty has put a few pounds on her, she looks as though she's swallowed a beach ball.

I do hope you're taking her to an obstetrician to keep track of her, um, weight problem. If she goes into labor in my classroom, I'm going to be really P.O.'d.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Crankypants

P.S. Wake up and smell the coffee in your own kitchen, Daddy. Baby Girl is not a sweet, innocent thing; she followed her hormones out the door and is reaping the consequences thereof.

I'm sorry for the baby. I hope it's given to adults who will raise it right.

Oops, I meant to say, I hope your daughter's weight problem is alleviated by time and sit-ups. Especially time.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 9, 2009

OMG:dizzy:

9. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Nov 9, 2009

One more for the record (yes-this is for real)

Dear "Ms. Thang" parent,

Thank you so much for the lovely email you sent me concerning your child's behavior. You did not appreciate the fact that I scolded your child for throwing her desk on the ground, and not hearing her side of the story. After deciphering the spelling mistakes, poor punctuation, and lack of grammar, I learned you are the middle school secretary. How you don't know how to write an email is beyond me.

I understand I am in a mostly black school and that I am white. I understand you do not trust white people to "begin with". I can assure you that I am not a member of the KKK like you think I am. I'm not sure if they even exist anymore. However, you cannot pull your child from my class because of my "white, northern ways". It just doesn't work like that.

For your information, a desk cannot be knocked over if a child is sitting properly in it. I don't care that your child makes good grades either-she will get the same treatment as everyone does. And if corporal punishment was legal, I would whoop your child silly every time she called me a wigger or rolled her eyes at me.

Sincerely,
    Your Child's Music Teacher

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 9, 2009

And this is AP US History.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

Dear Parents of Pathelogical Liar,

Your child had her first day in someone else's classroom today. I am so glad I don't have to deal with her drama and your enabling of it. It was nice and quiet today, and everyone seemed relieved, as if a huge boulder had been lifted off our shoulders. I did not have a tension headache by the end of the day wondering what stunt she'd pull next.
    And by the way, did it ever cross your tiny minds that it would not make sense that the teacher told your daughter that she didn't want her to complete the assignment, and that the teacher would not give it to her to complete? Puhleese. Put both of your heads together and rub that one brain cell you each have. Make a spark. Generate some common sense. But whatever you do, don't change your single-cell brains and have her put back in my classroom.

Truly happy for the first time all year,
    Mrs. J.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

:lol: I'm sorry; but that response was hilarious...especially the part about rubbing that brain cell together....

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2009

From another perspective....

Dear Teacher,

I am not a moron. I do not need masking tape notes detailing which side of the take home folder stays at home and which side needs to be signed and sent back. The words "stay home" and "sign and return" are quite sufficient. I do apologize for the fact that some notes aren't being returned, but as my child plainly admitted to in our earlier conference, he is throwing them away before he gets home. As also discussed, he is in BIG TROUBLE for it. Did you forget that we agreed that all correspondence should be by phone or postal mail? Speaking of the phone, I can write down dates and times on a piece of paper. It doesn't mean anything. If you called and didn't leave a message, you didn't really call. Beyond that, I can produce my cell phone bills to prove you didn't call in the first place. Don't lie to me. Once again, I am not a moron. I have had your job, but I had it a lot tougher than you do. Another thing I seem to recall is this county rule that says that you can't fail a student because of the child's family's lack of resources. I apologize for the fact that I am making in on less than $1000/month in an area that more typically brings home twice that in a week. I wish I could be doing better, but it's the best I can do. My child does not have a jump drive nor will he get one any time soon. If a paper needs to be typed, then you need to give him time on school computers to do it. My motherboard is shot and it will be a while before I can replace it. Be glad that your biggest problem is trouble connecting with an over worked single parent.

Signed, Me.

*Note: the computer problem is fixed (with a band aid solution at least), but I was not happy for a while.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

I am very glad that parents will not read our venting :rolleyes:
    I can see some parent trying to make something about our venting :eek:
    I understand Cello I taught hispanics and I was the mean Gringo making their kid, who was just "a fun loving child", do work in class or behave in class.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2009

Dave, I'm totally with everybody here. I just need to vent from the other side. Just as there are horrible parents, there are awful teachers. Unfortunately, one of my children has one of those.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009

This is funny I was typing before you posted. I went to get a glass of water and then posted it :lol: my post was not aimed at you :angel:

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2009

Phew. I thought you were mad at me. Glad we got that cleared up. :)

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 9, 2009

Dear Mum,

Just because you teach in the elementary section downstairs and get here early does not mean your daughter and the other girls in your carpool can come upstairs before the middle school bell rings and mess around in the restroom and locker area.

Oh, and even though I know the elementary school is dismissed a full 45 minutes before the first middle school bus gets here, your daughter really needs to stay in class until that time, even though I know you want to get to the mall before the crowd gets there.

Also? I really don't give two hoots in h e l l that your brother-in-law is the superintendent. Nobody does. Shut up about it; you sound like an idiot.

Love,
    Mrs. Crankypants

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

Dear "Everyone Wants This Kind of Parent" Parent,
    Thank you for your support! Even though we may not see eye-to-eye on everything, I can count on you to make sure your child is respecting me and doing his part as a model citizen and student.
    I know he's mirroring what he sees at home.
    Thank you,
    Signed,
    Blessed Teacher :love:

A-Z Teachers: I had to include a letter like this, because there are parents like this and for them...I am truly grateful. :love:

Now, back to venting. :hugs:

20. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Nov 10, 2009

Dear Parent of struggling football player,
    I appreciated your letter so much I nearly cried. Just that short e-mail telling me how much you appreciated all the extra hours of tutoring, the hours of reading illegible writing, the extra credit assignments, the parental contacts and all the unpaid hours I work on behalf of your student and his classmates...it really meant more to me than you'll probably ever know. In the two years, I've been teaching, I've received probably a hundred angry, whiny complaint letters and maybe two or three, you're doing awesome letters. Even though your child is struggling to pass and causes me to have to do a lot of work, I wish I had more parents like you. Thank you for such kind words.

Sinceramente,
    Your Kid's Teacher

21. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

OOOhhhh my turn,

Dear parent of "an angel"

I am sorry that I do not allow parents to do their children's homework. I guess I am too stupid tell the difference between a first grader's handwriting to an adult's. I am sorry that I did not know that you were only "holding his hand" and was writing it "with" him. I guess giving him another chance to do his own work was a waste of his time. I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear that parents can help with homework and it is the child's job to "DO IT.!" I guess I was talking to a stone at OPEN HOUSE. I am sorry that I "complain" about his handwriting when I only want your child to practice forming letters correctly from top to bottom. I am sorry to make your child write his name properly. Yes, all capital letters are cute in kindergarten. But in first grade, we always learn new ways (the correct way). I am sorry that you dont understand that a parent needs to understand what I am talking (speaking the same language) about when I ask them to be a chaperone on field trips. I guess I need to teach you that chaperones are suppose to help the teacher to make sure students are safe outside of the school and they are not on the field trip with their kids to have fun. I guess I should teach you that, so shame on me for not knowing you should have any common sense. And no, I am not prejudice of anyone who doesn't speak English because guess what, English is my second language if you haven't known by the way I look. I am sorry that I do not communicate with you with specific daily updates about how your child does in school. I guess the weekly green folder is not enough. I mean, I only have 24 other students in my class and they do not mean anything to me besides your sweet "angel." I am sorry that I dont give your child enough time in the bathroom, shame on me, of course your child needs more time in the bathroom so he can pick up the floor drain and chase other kids with it and you already knew that. I am SO sorry that your child doesn't like to come to school in the morning! I guess I should be considerate since your sweet and perfect "angel" told me he is too [grumpy] (his words not mine) in the morning and wants to go back to sleep. I am sorry that your sweet baby doesn't have a bedtime and goes to sleep whenever he pleases. I am sorry that I caught and hear your child cheating on a test, wrote a very specific note (per your request) detailing who did what and what time it happened. I guess I was not specific enough. I am sorry that you called and said you will be meeting me in the morning without a time and have to wait for me until my contract start time. I am also sorry that I go home after school ends and calling me an hour later and not reaching me. I am sorry that I did not provide you a list of daily activities (my lesson plans) of what goes on in my classroom. I am sorry that all the students in my class make your son get into trouble.

I am also very sorry for catching your lies in front of your face. I am sorry that I do not "baby" your child. I am so sorry that I give too much homework because it interferes with his "karate lessons."

But most of all, I am very sorry that he will grow up to be a mama's boy and good luck to the future daughter in law who has to deal with you. Oh and thank you for taking him out of my room. I will be very sorry for the next teacher.

With all my "love."

BAD TEACHER

" " means the opposite

P.S. If you're interested in my lesson plans, would you like my social security number and my blood type too?

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

Wow, and on that note, welcome to the forum! Glad we could help you vent a little.

23. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

Thank you, glad to share it with people who understands.

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

Time to bring out the SONG again

25. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Nov 16, 2009

Dear parent of an "angel,"

Thank you for that "sweet" little note you wrote on your child's test. To answer your question, no I am not happy that your child received an F on his test, and yes I know he is not perfect. But do you think this note will upset me? Well it did, but I quickly came to realized that you are indeed very childlish and your note is a great proof of what an idiot you really are. By the way, he may not be place in another room because other teachers will not want to deal with you. So, I am looking forward to the many "sweet" notes from you.

With all my love,

BAD TEACHER.

P.S. We always review before a test, so unless your child was lost in his own little world, he should not have a failing grade.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 16, 2009

Welcome, CityGirl! I bet it felt great to type all of that even if you don't get to send it!

27. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2010

Same parent the original "letter" was addressed too

Dear Parent,

I am really sorry to be writing you again. I have really tried to be as nice as I possibly can to your son. But the day, after day, after day of me telling him that he needs to sit down, listen and follow directions is wearing my patience thin. I am also a little concerned about the fact that you seem to think that it's ok tell your son to tell me to stick it. I would never dream of telling your son what I really think of you. You sent your husband to have lunch with your little one today, to make sure he wasn't sitting out at lunch again. The problem is not during lunch. It's during classtime when he feels it necessary to roam the room, play "light sabers" with his neighbor and basically do anything he wants to. Don't get me wrong I adore your child. He is bright, and energetic. He does bring so much to the class. In closing I am sure like you I am counting the days until I can say I survived your son's first grade year without completely going insane.

28. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 8, 2010

Dear Parents of toned, tanned, "it's all about me" Justin,

I hope your family is having a lovely time in Cancun this week. We are trying to muster the courage to carry on without Justin, who apparently doesn't mind missing MidTerm Exams, without which he will fail the course. He must have been too excited about the trip to contact me about a make-up, which means, tragically, that he won't get one. I'm sure he's working very hard on his midterm essay while he lies on the beach and tans, but since it, too, is due this week, please inform him that he might as well stuff it in a bottle and release it to the sea, because he'll get no credit for it. Our official spring break is next week, but that was far too inconvenient for you. I fully understand. When Justin is thirty years old and living in your basement and you are washing his boxers for him, please give a thought to the other students who had his same choices who are now interning at the hospital.

P.S. If you dare ask for exceptions, I'll put this on Twitter. I won't use your names, but every student in the class will know it's you. Let the good times begin. Oh, wait, for Justin, they already are!

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2010

Delicious! One of my students went on a cruise in the middle of the semester and has yet to get back into her coursework. This is somehow my responsibility. I even mailed her the assignments and reading for the week she'd be on the boat.

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

I could write a long one right now, but I'm trying to stay calm in preparation for our conference later this week...

But, dear parent, just know that saying, "I don't want you teachers to think we don't care about his schoolwork" before then going on to give 20 excuses doesn't magically change "us teachers'" opinions...

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

:lol::lol::lol: Those last few made my day!

32. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

Ok so I am not a teacher yet, but Mamacita's post made me want to write one to a fellow classmate....

Dear Fellow Education Student,
    I am so glad I get the pleasure of having you in three of my education classes this semester. Hearing your voice 300 times a class period is not enough, I really needed those two extra classes. While your comments are always full of negativity and complaining, let me just remind you that some of us are actually excited about becoming teachers. I know texting incessantly during class is going to make YOU a better teacher, but the rest of us are going to try and participate. Your negative attitude about all things education related really inspires me not to be like you. Yes I know, you have a comment/question/opinion about everything and God forbid we don't hear it. And yes I also know, if you don't understand something or agree with it....it's stupid. But maybe if you would actually listen for one second to your classmates or professors you could learn something. Oh and did I ever tell you how much I love to hear you whine and complain about every. single. assignment. we get? And how great is it that you ask for every. single. assignment to be reduced, pushed back, or not assigned? It really shows how serious you are about learning and educating yourself. So thanks for annoying the heck out of me and everyone else on our classes....at least the semester is half over.
    Sincerely,
    Hates Having Class with You!

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2010

Mamacita,
    You're definitely going to have to give us the heads up on this situation! I'm already wondering how they're going to try to get out of their responsiblities, blame the school district and get away with it!

34. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Mar 8, 2010

Oh I'm so glad this thread resurfaced! I think I actually wrote a "letter" to this same parent last time. :lol:

Dear "Parent":
    Though I no longer teach your child, I somehow got roped into the process of his SPED testing. Unfortunately, I do have some bad news (well it's only bad if you for some stupid reason want your perfectly normal child to be labeled SPED, for normal sane people, this is good news) HE IS NOT SPECIAL ED!!! He has no learning disabilities, at least none that anyone can notice, because he REFUSES to attempt the work 98% of the time. However, when he does attempt the work HE MAKES GOOD GRADES! The only reason his average stays in the 20s is because he won't turn in work! He is 18, with no math credits because he is LAZY. You have pushed to have him tested every year for the last several years, and the evaluators have always refused because the kid has no problems except his lazy pitiful excuse for parents who encourage his laziness by blaming the school for the fact that he "can't" pass. Remember when, during that little parent conference last week, one of the principals asked, since you say we should all be working as a team for Sweet Pea to pass, what you have done to help him, and you had nothing to say except to blame us? That's the entire problem. Whew, I could provide examples all day, but I have already wasted enough of my time filing out paperwork for this farce.

Sincerely,
    That Idiot who Failed Your Little Angel AGAIN

Dear Mrs. Assistant Sped Director:
    I don't know how, on God's little green acre, you got conned into this crap, but HE HAS NO PROBLEMS. I would assume you recognize this by the fact that you told me to LIE on his intake paperwork so that he would be considered sped. Well, ya know, I flat out refuse to lie for this kid. If you don't like it, you are more than welcome to find another sucker to fill out all of this crap for you! His grades on completed work would make him an honor student; his only problem is that he refuses to do work. He will flat out tell you that he does not care. He has said he would drop out but his mom won't let him, so he's just going to stay until we kick him out at 21. I know, for a fact, that you have better, more important things, to do with your time, as there are far too many children in our district who actually have problems and actually need your attention. Quit wasting their time with this CRAP!

Sincerely,
    One ticked off teacher

35. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2010

Please tell us how you really feel! :lol: :lol: I laughed until I rolled on the floor!! Unfortunately, your story happens all over the place.