Wishes I could really send this out.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

It was a very angry him. The boy is very sweet. We had a Heritage Day where the children dressed in costumes from their heritage or a heritage of their choice. They brought in food from that heritage to share for snack.

Our school has a storage area with a lot of costumes used for drama and performances so it was easy to pull out a Mexican hat, poncho, and sash. This is an entire school event. There were lots of photos being taken for the yearbook.

2. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

That was very kind of you, Dzenna.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

Dear Same Parent,

I heard you talked to another teacher about first grade yesterday. Did you really think that you were going to get anything but Ms. Txmomteacher2 was anything but a good teacher and that your son really needs to grow up. I didn't realize that I was being such a witch to your child since you have been in my class exactly twice since the beginning of school. I also didn't know that I am that hard to get a hold of since every other parent has emailed or called me when there was an issue with their child. I know you go behind my back to anyone and everyone who will listen to bad mouth me. To be honest with you I don't care that you do this but you schould really make sure that this person is a true friend because she comes to me and tells me everything you say. So choose who you talk to very carefully.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

My Turn!!!
    Dear Nasty Attitude Parent of an average girl,
    I realize that you feel your daughter is gifted. I regret to inform you that she is indeed-not gifted. She is an average C student, which, by the way, is where she should be performing. A's and B's belong to students who go above and beyond the necessary work.
    I understand you want your daughter to be successful in life. I think we all want the best for our children. However, in order to be successful, she must put forth more effort.
    What? She didn't get a C in fourth grade? I beg to differ. Her fourth grade teacher is next door to me, and we have communicated already. She did the same thing last year. ( you must really think I am stupid).
    As I have recently heard from a friend on my favorite teacher forum, your daughter is no longer in 4th grade. I can arrange to have her put there if you feel she is more successful there. However, please allow me to do my job-which is to teach 5th grade. I promise I won't correct you in your parenting job.
    BTW, in the future, please allow me to speak to your husband. He is much more reasonable.
    Sincerely,
    a 5th grade teacher not nearly being paid enough

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

Don't you just love it when parents don't think teachers TALK to each other? We have so many parents who say that "Little Susie never did that last year in Mrs. Smith's room". When you ask Mrs. Smith---of course she did!

My letter is short:

Dear Parents,
    Thank you for attending only the school events that offer free food.
    I understand that free pizza is far more important than a conference about your child's progress. And thanks to those parents who pack the food to go and leave, OR just come to eat.

Have a great dinner!

Mrs. H.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 2, 2009

Migod, I don't know whether to laugh, cry or both with some of these. I'll probably have mine here soon.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

Ha, that one sounds like I could have written it! It seems the only way we can get most parents to show up at our school is by offering free food (dinner). We can't seem to have anything at night anymore without offering it or else most parents won't show up. When I was a kid, my parents just came because it was expected and what parents did. Now we need to put on a dog and pony show to get parents into the building. :dizzy:

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2009

Dear Different Parent,

Could you please try a little harder to get your son or daughter to school on time. Could also please stop walking your son or daughter to the class room. I realize that he is your baby (or maybe not) but at school they are expected to be as independent as the rest of the first grade. Must you walk them in everyday 20 minutes late or later and proceed to do everything for your child. Must you tell me for the millionth time that your child makes their D's backwards all the time and that I shouldn't count off on the spelling test for that.

Ms. Wishes some her parents would get a watch so they kow what time school starts.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

txmom~I had a parent that couldn't understand why I counted a word wrong on a spelling test because the kid made a b instead of a d....DUH!!! I should have known it was supposed to be a d even though it looked like a b!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

When I worked for Head Start we were required to feed the parents a meal whenever we had a meeting.

11. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

:rofl:

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

Dear Parent,

My students are all in college, and the law forbids me from sharing anything about their attendance or work quality. Yes, I understand that you are paying the bills, but until your son/daughter signs a release form, as far as the law and I are concerned, you do not exist.

Thanks ever so for asking about whoever it was you were asking about. Maybe I know him/her, and maybe I don't. Suck it up.

--Disgusted Professor

P.S. Your "child" is raised. Stop raising him.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 4, 2009

Amen, Sister!!!! You must get my students the next year!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 4, 2009

:dizzy: Can you imagine what these parents were like when their kids were in elementary school :lol:

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Can you imagine what some of the parents of kids in elementary school now will be like when their kids are in college! :eek:

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

I keep wanting to start one of these to vent, but my classroom issues are just so WEIRD compared to a traditional one. It usually boils down to, "Dear Parent, since you decided to enroll your child in a school where the teachers have to rely on the telephone and Internet to stay in contact, could you please give me a hand and make sure your child actually checks his/her email and answers the phone?"

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

PEOPLE PEOPLE you have to tell us how you really feel :rolleyes:

Helicopter Parents (Always there)
    Stealth Parents (you never see them)

I have in 34+ years heard every one of these statements uttered from a parent's mouth

DAVE'S TOP 15
    1. I am too busy with my own life
    2. I Did or Didn't marry the bum but I don't know why (but you went to bed with him)
    3. I wasn't good at school so why should he be?
    4. MY child is the best fill in the blank can't you see it?
    5. I never had teachers like you!
    6. My Johnny didn't do that, (wait here it comes) He never lies to me.
    7. Could you call me everyday so I know his assignment?
    8. Linda said you never gave her the newsletter (See #6)
    9. I am only the parent you want me to do your job too?
    10. Oh we only punish Bobby for what he does at home
    11. Look school is school and home is home, You handle school and we will handle home
    12. Ok I should have told you Sally is allergic to fill in the blank (teacher was told in January)
    13. Please, I don't want Billy reading that kind of book it is fill in the blank
    14. Could you give me Sandy's Work for the next 2 weeks we are going skiing. (asked on Friday afternoon)
    15. You are against my Child because we are of the fill in the blank Faith ​

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

(Okay, I do feel bad because most of my parents are GREAT. I just have one set...)

Dear Parents,
    The next time your child is going to be off his ADHD medication for a week, a heads up would be nice. And relying on your now unmedicated son to deliver a note to me on Wednesday is quite the risk to take (although I do thank you for the "FYI," as you put it). Next time, could you please contact me ahead of time so I know why your son is driving me crazy?
    Thanks,
    One very frazzled teacher after three LONG days

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

My Dear Student,

Congratulations on being old enough to be your own responsible adult in the eyes of the school. Please live up to it by holding yourself responsible for your education. You've passed all of your state tests, so the only reason possible for you to miss graduation is if you fail my class. Do you understand how tough it is to fail my class? You really need to work at it. Isn't it easier to do what you have to do to earn your high school diploma? I guarantee you a chance at a better life for yourself if you do. At least answer the phone once in a while so I can offer you some breaks in your work if there's a problem.

--Mrs. Fiddle

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Dave, I hear #8 all the friggin' time from one student's parents. She lost her special homework folder and never told her parents about parent-teacher conference day OR our field trip. Every other child somehow has their homework, but I chose not to give their precious perfect angel her homework.

Which leads me to another letter...

Dear Parents that I mentioned above:

Keeping your child home because you didn't feel like taking her to school? Have fun explaining that one to the lovely people who will make a visit to your home soon now that she's accumulated quite a few unexcused absences. I've tried calling and sending notes home-- that's all documented.

I'm also sick of you talking down to me and rudely informing me that your daughter told you that I never send homework or graded work home with her. Seeing as you had no clue that we had a field trip or that we had parent-teacher conferences, do you really believe it's MY fault?

No love,
    lilmisses
    ----------------
    Much better....

21. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

oh! My turn!

Beloved Hover-parent from Hell,
    I just wanted to say how much I have loved our lovely back and forth e-mails over this past week. I really enjoy using my entire lunch break and planning period explaining why I run my classroom the way I do. I am so glad you have giving me the suggestions you did. After going to school for four years, I still would have never thought of giving your child a 100 simply for answering questions, regardless of whether the answer was right or wrong.

I truly enjoyed having to contact my supervisor, department head and several assistant principals after you demanded a meeting so that we could together explain the two points I docked your child on that one assignment, lowering his grade an entire eight-tenths of a point.

I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions you give me about how to teach Spanish and I love that you don't allow yourself to be hindered by the fact that you don't speak a lick of Spanish. I also want to give a big thanks for you so graciously volunteered to come up to the school on my only free period as long as it didn't interact with your ladie's luncheon. I love the fact that you take time out of your leisurely day to send me such lovely notes throughout the day, such as the note to remind me of district policy.

Furthermore, I really appreciated the borderline threatening letter you sent me irritated that your child was marked absent simply because he forgot to sign in that day and then lost his work that proved that he was there. I'm sure he's right when he says that the sign in sheet doesn't make it all the way around the room. The other 26 students must be using subterfuge and strategery to sneak the clipboard from student to student row to row and covertly sign in. I then use my secret teacher voice to call the names of any students who aren't signed in.

You're probably going to get your way just because I'm tired of fighting. I hope the extra eight-tenths of a point helps your son and I look forward to speaking to you again when he gets a 'C' on the district-end-of-course exam after getting A's all year simply because I don't want to deal with you.

Besos!
    ~Frazzled~

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

I'm sorry, e1t1, but that is hilarious!!!!! Not to deal with, I know, but to read!

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 4, 2009

Me, Me, Me...Please let me try!!

Dear Parent,
    I am sorry that I refused to tell your child for the fifth time when our party was. I guess you were unable to open the three emails that I sent with the information on it, or to find the monthly calendar that I sent, or to read the weekly newsletter that had the information on it for the last three weeks. I can understand that you might need a six year old to organize your social calendar.
    I am sorry that you were late to our field trip to the fire station because we didn't wait the extra five minutes for you to get there. I am so sorry that you had difficulty finding the fire station even through we walked there from school since it is only four blocks. I am also sorry that you didn't have more time to tell the other parents what an awful, unorganized teacher that I am. I hate that you were not able to finish your crusade to discredit me! I promise that I will give you more time to slander me on the next trip! Have a wonderful day!

Your child's disorganized teacher!

24. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

Dear "Mother", and I mean that as part of a hyphenated word:

If you call me "hon" or "dear" or "sweetie" one more time, I will break your very nosy nose.

Love and schmooshy kisses,
    Mrs. Cranky-pants

P.S. Your son is an idiot.

25. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 5, 2009

Dear Helicopter Parent,

Your lovely daughter ELECTED to take my AP US History Class. Even though she got a C in 10th grade Honors History she still elected to take it. Though I did not approve this or did her teacher, you and your daughter decided to go above me and do what you want. Well your daughter currently has a 55% in my class. She hasn't turned in homework in over a week and she asks me why is failing our weekly quizzes. May I suggest actually doing the homework that I assign? It may actually help.

I'm sorry that you are unaware of the happenings in my classroom. In the future, please consult the term calendar or weekly syllabus I hand out. Also you could check the website. I guess having three places for the same information is not enough. From now on maybe I will walk you child home and post the homework on your fridge.

Love,

The Worst History Teacher in the world

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Dear Dad,

Your child does not need a forty-year-old pal. He needs a father. Grow the hell up.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Crankypants

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

This is so refreshing
    After reading and posting I am in my quiet place

[​IMG]
    Kind of a Zen feeling
    :toofunny:

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2009

I almost spit out my coffee while reading these :spitwater:

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

Hi Brendan, I have a question...I'm wondering what it's like in other districts across the US; will 55 be posted on her report card? Or will she receive a 70, even though she has earned a 55.

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 6, 2009

In my district...55, ineligible until it is above a 65 for over a week.

31. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 6, 2009

Does your parent have a relative in California? :lol:

32. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Nov 7, 2009

And here's my fake letter.

Dear parent,

Thank you for telling my on the first day of school that your child will probably not do well in my class. Thank you for telling me not to "expect much out of him". That's why I chose to teach. I, like you, do not expect much out of kids. Which is why almost every waking hour is dedicated to teaching these kids who won't ever make anything out of themselves. Who probably won't learn. Who'll probably get in trouble.

And thank you for saying all this in front of the student. Now we can start the year off right, with low expectations and a stereotypical label. I will be calling you soon about your son's lack of progress, as I'm sure you're waiting by the phone already.

Sincerely yours,
    The Teacher

33. Loves the beach

Nov 7, 2009

Yes, it was!

34. Loves the beach

Nov 7, 2009

The walking the kids to school thing...it happens in third grade too. I am so thankful that I am at a school now were that would NEVER be allowed. (It's only allowed the first two weeks of Kindergarten.)

35. Loves the beach

Nov 7, 2009

Dear Mr. Mullet Parent,

Thank you for walking your eight year old child to class each day. Thank you for holding her hand as you escort her to the classroom door. Thank you for the fatherly strength you provide as you remind her that you will be there to eat lunch with her. Thank you for hugging her and reminding her that you're just a phone call away. We try very hard at ______________ School to instil a sense of distrust and fear in our students. School is not safe, and teachers are mean. The other students are the enemy, and the cafateria is a deep dark dungeon.

I especially appreciate the way you pick her up an hour early three days a week. She cries on the days you don't come, so please make it a habit to pick her up early every day.

Thank you also for looking out for her. I am impressed that you make up lies about me as an excuse to not bring your daughter to school. You say I do not allow your daughter to borrow paper and a pencil, but I am sorry to say that I spend hundreds of dollars each year on supplies and other learning tools to make sure each child is provided for. It's too bad she brings her own supplies and never needs to borrow from me. I'm also sorry that I do not have my home number listed in the phone book. I'd love to talk with you twice a day about how everyone makes fun of you walking your little girl to class. Thank you for telling my principals that I do not return your phone calls made to my house. I'm sure someone out there has your messages on their answering machine. How would I ever keep myself in line if not for you?

My hat goes off to you, Mr. Mullet Man. You are an example of an adult who makes a difference. I can only hope to someday be like you.

Sincerely,
    "That Teacher"

P.S. Your daughter cried all afternoon when you did not show up at lunch. Please come eat lunch with her tomorrow.

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Mullet Parent ..... I am falling out of my chair laughing right now.

37. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 7, 2009

Well it went up to a 60% she elected to turn in the unit classwork packet, which she got a 75% on but it bumped her up to a 60%.

It'll go back down thought I was grading her quiz from Friday and so far on the multiple choice sections shes gotten 7 out of 10 wrong.

38. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Nov 8, 2009

LOL I have been reading these. They are absolutely hysterical. I thought a couple of my parents are bad.... they just don't show up for anything. I much prefer that over the helicopter ones. LOL, I think all of us have the same types of students. Hmmmmm,,, you think they are all secretly related?

On the is a 55 a 55 on the report card point... unfortunately I have to post a 60 on the report card which is dumb in my opinion. If a child earns a 32 I think he should get the 32 that he has earned.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

Here's the idea behind a "lowest possible grade:"

Let's pretend that Johnny has an average of 30 on his first and second report cards. It is then physically impossible, no matter what he does, for him to pass for the year on his final report card. So there's absolutely no point in him paying attention, or even attending class; he's already failed for the year in April. His behavior is BOUND to become more of a problem than it already is.

But let's say we bump those 30's up to a 60 for the first two report cards. Now Johnny is still failing, but it's theoretically possible for him to pass. (Long shot, I know, since he only knows 30% of the material from those 2 marking periods.) So, in theory, he can still have a change of heart, reallly get it together, and pass for the year. As a result, there's some sort of incentive for him to attend class and keep his behavior in check.

I'm fine with the fact that, under normal circumstances, the lowest grade we can give on the first 2 report cards is a 60. (Passing is 65, and we are allowed to make the occasional exception with permission.) Those 60s still mean the kid has failed; he'll still attend summer school. And, if he does maintain that 30 average, that's what will be on his final report card (there's no minimum grade then, since there's no longer a need for an incentive.) I always make sure that the parents KNOW the actual grade. And anyone who later gets the transcripts, and sees report grades of "60, 60, 30" will figure out what's going on quickly enough.

40. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

oh wow.
    THese kids just don't realize how important studying is.