Wishes I could really send this out.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2009

This isn't a real note BUT.........

Dear Parent,
    So I hear you don't like me. Well you aren't exactly my favorite person in this world either,but for aproximately 140 more days or so I still have to act like I do. I was wondering just what did I do to offend you? I mean day after day I put up with your child. This is the same child that you tell me is just a typical first grade little boy. Well I have 10 other little first grade boys who don't roll around on the floor and thinks it's cute. In fact I have 17 other children who don't do that. I have 7 girls in my class who don't cry nearly as much as your child does. As for your son's grades. They would be so much better if he would just learn to follow directions. He does what he wants when he wants and then when he is redirected he goes back to that insane crying that wouldn't be so annoying if he did it just a tad bit quieter and not for the whole world to hear. I am really glad that you raised such a social young boy. He should someday run for office since he loves to talk about anything and everything. I also heard that you want to move him across the hall to other teacher's class. Be my guest if you think that this will help your child learn. I am willing to keep teaching your son as long you are willing to STOP raising such a pain in my BUTT! Oh and I am really sure that you are talking about me at home to him so is that really helping the situation. I realize that he is your baby. I get that I have one too. So I am guessing that when his wife tells you about him rolling around on the floor your are going to tell her it's just typical husband behavior, or maybe you will just send her one of those passive aggressive notes that you are so good at. Oh or maybe you will run to her principal (oh I mean her mother ) and tattle on her.

Ok seriously I would never send this out, BUT it sure did feel good to write this.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2009

:toofunny:

4. City Girl

City Girl Rookie

Oct 29, 2009

I can relate

I laughed my head off when I read your post. It is eery (spelling?) that I am experiencing the same problem as you. I really wish the my boy in my class will transfer to the teacher across the hall. When I told the mom that it could be arrange, she backed off. Dont call my bluff lady!!

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 29, 2009

:toofunny:

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 29, 2009

Oooh oooh can I play too?

Dear Parent,

I get that you love your son, and I also get that he is a bright boy and that you want what is best for him. However, that doesn't mean that you need to be writing letters to the Director of Education in my school division every week telling him that I am a horrible teacher. No, I don't have a BAC degree, but yes, I am teaching French Immersion. If you have Francophone friends who could do much better than I could, feel free to pull your son out of my class and home school him, because really, he is a little sh*t who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. Yet, he couldn't tell me who the first Prime Minister of Canada was, what political party he represented, or explain why Confederation makes sense for the original four provinces of Canada. In fact, he can't even explain why immigrants would want to move to our province. All he wants to do is quote numbers and statistics at me. Your son cannot think abstractly, which is why he has lower marks in Social Studies and Health, classes that ask kids to read information and then draw conclusions based on what they have read. Your son hands in paragraphs and power points full of facts and numbers, when I asked the question WHY. So if you and your Francophone friends can do such a better job than I can, take your kid out of my class, and leave me the hell alone.

Sincerely,
    Me

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2009

Me too!

Dear Parent-from-HeLL,

I don't like you. I think you are rude. When I called you last week because your son walked out of my classroom claiming he "didn't feel like working", I fully expected you to yell at me and tell me that you didn't have time to deal with these issues and that you didn't "stay home all day baking cookies".

However I want you to know that I wasn't a bit insulted when you said that I was "acting like a kindergartner" because I think most of them have better manners than you.

Love and kisses,
    Me

(The quotes and the situation are real. Then she called the principal and demanded a meeting... which she has now cancelled twice.)

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2009

My turn

Dear Parent (if you exist),
    I soooo appreciate the fact that you send your daughter to school and tell her to behave any way she wants because you will not punish her at home. You tell her it's ok to steal and lie and cheat. I also appreciate that you gave the school a phony number so I can't contact you to talk about your child who bullies and threatens the other children in the class. It's so nice that you taught your daugter that fighting is a good way to solve her problems. I'm glad you gave your permission to enter a counseling program at school to help with anger management and then you told your daughter that she can treat the guidance counselor with the same disrespect and rudeness that she treats her teachers. Well, guess what? Soon the visiting teacher will be hunting for your house to deliver your daughter to you while she serves her out of school expulsion for her wonderful behavior. Then you can spend all day, every day teaching her your marvelous value system.

Your truly,
    me

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2009

OOOH OOOH I have one!!

Dear Parent, (and I use the term PARENT loosely)
    Thank you for sending your child sick to school. We all love when he/she coughs and sneezes on us. We understand that you have an appointment to get your nails done so it's ok that your kid infects all the other kids and staff instead of staying home. Oh, and it's wonderful that you're teaching your child good nutrition by sending candy, soda and other crap in his/her lunchbox. However, there is a thing called a SANDWICH that most kids bring. I suggest you GOOGLE it. Have a wonderful day that I'm sure you deserve!!

Fondly,(not)
    TeacherNY

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2009

ROFL You are all gifted ..... and very patient! Aren't you glad you have a place to publish all these letters?

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 30, 2009

I see the makings of the first AtoZ book, it will be a best seller and sure to be on every college's internship required reading list.

Dear Parent,
    Thank you for letting me know that your child cannot play outside today. I was planning on taking them all outside to play in the drizzle of 30 degrees without their jackets on for a science lesson on weather. Since you told me not to, I guess I will go with a back-up lesson in writing or something. I will try to get your child to stop writing the same story they have written in writer's workshop for the last 100 days of school. I know that I talked to you about writing stories that are real, but I did not mean for you to teach her to memorize a story and then write the same story every day for the rest of school. Also, coming to lunch EVERY day is weird. I know that your child calls you their BEST friend, but you really shouldn't be. The fact that you come every day has now made the other parents find you strange and they are afraid to let their child play at your house. Now your child has no real friends in kindergarten, the most accepting of any year and it will be downhill from here unless you back off and let your child have a life.
    Hope you have a great day (at home),
    YourChild'sTeacher

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 30, 2009

:rofl:

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 30, 2009

Oh MY Turn, MY Turn!!!!!

Dear Parent (I think that's the title you want),

I understand that you felt your child's achievement was "cool". I have trouble graping how failing every subject with scores such as 25%, 34%, 73% and 27% manages to be cool. I would have actually been to school (or responded to a note /phone call) from the teacher if my child brought home a test with a grade of 15% out of 100 on it. However, maybe in some strange planet making an F is a good thing. You never know you might have had a clue what was going on if you would show up for conferences/EBIS meetings or anything else.

Sincerely,

ME

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

Dear Parent,

Thank you for telling me that your child was a straight A student in fourth grade. You have told me that many times; you don't have to tell me again. However, I have breaking news for you. Please sit down, as this news may come as a shock. Your child is NO LONGER in fourth grade. She is now in fifth grade. I have to teach fifth grade standards, and they are harder than fourth grade. This might be the very first year that she has to "work" at school, and if so, I hope she learns quickly how to study and how to get organized.

Sincerely,
    your daughter's FIFTH grade teacher

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

I can relate to this...
    :lol:

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2009

Has anyone noticed how easily amused we are? :whistle:

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 30, 2009

And desperate?

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Oct 30, 2009

Dear Mrs. Pain in the A$$,

I fully realize that you don't have a job, so you think that makes it okay to try and tell me how to do mine. Yes, I taught your son how to edit his paper in class. No, my job is not to look over his "final copy" and make a bunch of corrections for him. My job is to teach him how to do his own editing. I realize that his English teacher last year did all his corrections for him, but he's 13 years old and I'm not his English teacher from last year. Surprise!

And while I'm at it, it's really not necessary for you to inform me that I haven't posted your son's grade from the missing assignment he just turned in today. I actually teach during the day, believe it or not, so no, I didn't get a chance to grade his late work yet.

Oh, and about that paper your son wrote in which there were spelling errors that you could not find? I understand that you were so upset about not finding the errors yourself because you wrote the paper for him (and, in my humble opinion, I know third graders who could have handed in something better written than what you did) and I also understand that you even had your unemployed loser brother who lives at home with your parents read it and even HE couldn't find the misspelled words (what a shocker there!). Trust me - they were there.

So, in case you haven't gotten the message after reading this, I think you are a sorry excuse for a parent and I feel bad for your son and whoever it is that he ends up marrying. Hopefully he moves far, far away from your meddling a$$.

If you have any concerns regarding this note, please hesitate to contact me.

**This was WAAAAAY to much fun!**

19. smalltowngal

Oct 30, 2009

:lol: These are hilarious!!!!!

Dear Parent:

Your child is now in the seventh grade. In 5 years, this same student will be driving on the same roads that I drive on. Now I understand that you want your dear sweet (though he does not act sweet when in my classroom) baby to make straight A's, and since kindergarten he's been able to do that; however, he is now going to have to start putting forth some EFFORT and WORK in the classroom. He's not going to go spoon-fed the answers. He's actually going to have THINK! What a concept! I'm sure you, yourself, could benefit from doing the same. So please, before you start calling and emailing me about your baby's poor grades, talk to him about what HE'S doing for a change.

Sincerely,
    The Best teacher that you underappreciate

20. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

I didn't catch on to this the first time I read it!!! LOVE the "please hesitiate to contact me!"

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 30, 2009

Oh my, this kid is in my class... you must have his brother!

22. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

:toofunny: :rofl:

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 30, 2009

Oooohhhh . . . I want to try!

Dear Parent,

Thank you for your recent inquiry into your child's grades. Yes, I do realize that your child is failing my class. I am sorry that the school's 24/7 parent gradebook access is not sufficient to keep you informed of your child's progress.

I am also sorry that your child is having trouble understanding what we are doing in class. Perhaps your child would have better luck keeping up with the work in class if she had not missed 27 days of school this year. I teach every day, as most parents send their children to school on a daily basis instead of 2-3 times a week.

I have spent my valuable time preparing a packet of missing assignments. Your child will have an opportunity to work on missing assignments at our next reward day, this Friday, because she will not be attending due to failing grades, unexcused absenses, and poor attitude. I do realize, however, that since you know this ahead of time, you will choose to keep your child at home. I will leave the missing work packet in the office, and you can pick it up when you come in to file a complaint about how it's not fair to single out students and not let them participate in rewards programs.

24. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 30, 2009

I have a new one:

Dear Parent,

I know that you feel that your daughter should be a straight A student who gets amazing grades in math. Is your child capable of these things? Sure. If your child bothered to reread the directions for the assignment, which I will not do for her more than once. Your child can speak French and can read in French. The language is not the problem. The fact is, your daughter is lazy and doesn't want to spend any EXTRA time on things. If she had bothered to read the assignment she would have answered the questions correctly, I don't doubt that, but she raced through it to get done.

Sorry, but this isn't my fault. Your daughter needs to learn to read and follow simple directions. She is in eighth grade. Yes, she was a straight A student in Grade 6. That was under an old curriculum AND an old assessment policy. You were informed (and supported) both new policies since you work for the bloody DIVISION. So quit acting like its NEWS to you that your daughter is getting 60s. If she would just READ and THINK before writing down an answer, she would be an 80s student, but guess what? This is Grade 8, not Grade 6, and she is NOT a 90s student.

Sincerely,
    Me

25. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

Dear Parents,

Sending me an updated phone number that works would be awesome.

Your child's teacher

Dear Parent,

As I stated in my welcome letter, my website, and as I told you at Parent-Teacher conference day, I send homework home with your child in their blue homework folders every Monday and it is to be turned in on Friday. They are given all of their homework for the week on that day. Sending me a nasty note saying that your child didn't receive a homework sheet-- something I KNOW to be false-- the morning their homework is due doesn't make much sense. See, if you're so involved in your child's education and you work so closely with them every single night, you would know you can easily get in touch with me for a new homework sheet. Oh, and since you also are very familiar with my website, you would know that you can print off your child's homework from the homework page. :)

No love,

Your child's teacher

Much better! :)

26. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 30, 2009

Oh my turn, my turn!

Dear Parent,
    Your child is 18 years old and in 9th grade math. And this is somehow my fault? Even the principal did not believe your little story that the reason your 18-year-old son has not turned in a SINGLE assignment in my class is because his 7th grade teacher, who he had 6 years ago, yelled at him. I understand that you think a SPED ruling will get you some kind of check in place of that pay check that you don't actually earn, but he can't be evaluated if he has no work. In my expert opinion, he does have a disability. It's called L.A.Z.Y. and it appears to be caused by pitiful parenting. Please, look into it. Perhaps you can save your other children from this debilitating disease.

Sincerely,
    Your child's babysitter (aka Algebra teacher)

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2009

Dear Someone Who Calls Herself A Parent,

We have been in school for 42 days. I'm really enjoying getting to know your son, although I don't know him quite as well as the rest of my students. He has been here a 12 full days of the 42. While the rest of my class is settling into a nice routine and becoming a community, your son still is new to this kindergarten stuff. So when he cries and has complete temper tantrums and meltdowns over not being able to participate in choice time, or some recesses because I"m trying to get him caught up, I probably should just allow him to participate. After all, school really isn't that important and it is only kindergarten.

I completely understand why you let him sleep in when he stayed up til midnight the night before. He really should have at least 10 hours of sleep. I'm so glad you are seeing to his needs and not getting him to school so early on those days he has been up late. And don't worry about when you finally get him to school......we will scramble to find a lunch for him. I know he probably hasn't eaten since the day before.

Oh, by the way, the after care teacher really enjoyed staying until 7PM last week with your children! She loved feeding your kids dinner and spending that extra one on one time with them. Her children are all grown and out of the house, I know she really had nothing better to do on a Friday night. She indicated though that she hopes you got that phone number updated since the one you left with her has been disconnected.

I hope when Social Services shows up at your door next week, you can tell them how important these children are to you. You have really proven that you love having them with you. So much so, you just can't bear to send them to school on time, or at all on most days.( I don't think you should mention the after care incident though.)

You know, I'm full of glee knowing I may have your son again next year. Perhaps he will have had a full year of kindergarten by the time he finishes it in 2011. I know he will be well prepared for first grade at that point.

Insincerely,
    Your Son's part time teacher

OK....I know this is really a sad situation. I feel sorry for this boy and his sister. I'm just really frustrated and it felt good to be able to type this "letter" to mom. Those kids deserve so much better. :(

28. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 30, 2009

Oh and one more from today...

Dear Parent,
    I honestly have no idea how your child made it to the 10th grade. She has no math skills what-so-ever. She can not look at a simple graph and pick out the answer. Seriously. One little point on the graph (the ONLY point on the graph) sitting at -1, she says it's at -6. Really? She's 16 years old, with no learning disabilities, and can't tell the difference between a 1 and a 6. And no it was not my handwriting, it was a typed page. I am honestly concerned that one day your "little genius" will say something so incredibly stupid I will actually stroke out and die. Please, for everyone's sake, find her a kindergarten math tutor to teach her her numbers. I'm too busy trying to prepare her for her state test, that she will never pass and therefore never graduate high school. Only 18 school days left!

Dumbfoundedly,
    Your child's teacher

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2009

wow; there are some real doosies who call themselves parents huh? :eek: :p Sad! :(

30. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2009

Reply from A PARENT....:D
    Dear Teacher,
    I am so confused about this parenting thingy, that I think I will have no more children after the number 6 one. I can't bear the idea that my stretch marks are increasing. I am even more confused about why I love having my children stay later and later @ school with such loving and caring people like you. After I drop them off, I am @ the workout place, then over to do my nails and then to the hair place. I LOVE MY FREEDOM! Can I have a number for someone who can pick up my children after school and maybe spend the night @ their place and bring them back to school the next day? WHAT THE HECK!?! How about a number for someone who'd like to adopt a child right now? How about you? Would you like to have my #6 child? You can teach him all that you want and I won't even fuss about it @ all. You are exactly what my child needs right now. PLEASE CALL ME @ 555-UROC. If you can't get a hold of me, call back because I never check my messages. Who has time to do that?:rolleyes:
    Sincerely,
    I LOVE MY FREEDOM & #6 will understand!:thumb:

31. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Oct 30, 2009

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm loving this thread!!!!

My turn...

Hey you Insert name here (since you don't bother to learn my name, I'm not going to bother to learn yours),

I'm not sure why I'm writing this note because you never check your child's folder anyway...but it makes me feel better to write it! Thank you so much for following school policy and keeping your child home fever free for 24 hours so that the rest of the kids in our classroom don't get what your child has! Oh...wait...never mind! Apparently you missed the five notes/messages that we sent home regarding this issues! I know you missed these, because we sent your child home yesterday with a fever of 102.9 and you sent your child to school this morning with a fever of 100.9...note to self...THAT'S NOT FEVER FREE AND IT HASN'T BEEN 24 HOURS!! I know you are very upset that you had to come pick him up today! Pouting around like a 2 year old was a nice mature touch and a great role model to the students of what responsible loving parents are like! I know it was a huge inconvenience to interrupt Good Morning America and make you come get your sick child! I would hate for you to have to leave your house and do something! I won't even mention the fact that you are probably the same parent who complains when other parents do what you just did and your child gets sick as a result!!!!

Thanks for being a caring parent and doing what is best for your child!!

P.S. Don't forget to study for the spelling test...oh...your not checking the folder! So I guess he'll just flunk this one too!

32. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 31, 2009

This is GREAT!!

Dear Overbearing Mommy,

Your child is VERY capable of walking her self to class everyday. AND if you did drop her off at the front door or AT LEAST at the end of the hallway, she may be on time everyday! If she is in the gifted/talented program then I think she can manage to find her way to the room. And do I really have to have you in my face evvvvvveryday with some lame-o reason to talk to me. Yes, I did notice that you got a new 'do. You didn't have to come up with some reason to poke your head in so I'd see it. But, I am not concerned at such things because I'm trying to TEACH your child! And if it gets you so out of breath to walk down to the classroom everyday that you have to have a coughing fit, please just drop her off at the door! Oh wait...that's another one of your ways to get me to talk to you, right? I'm sorry - well not really. Oh and yes I DID say that your child was on the borderline of making a B *gasp*!!! So maybe if you let her talk instead of doing it for her, she would rise to the occasion!

Thanks,

Teacher who is trying to TEACH

33. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

I never knew how this would help so many of us. Please keep writing those letters. I will have more late but now I have to do the Mommy thing because I do have a life outside of school. Oh wait my parents don't get that either ok next topic for my next letter. Why I didn't get your papers graded and back to them the dame day.

34. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Oct 31, 2009

OMG this made my day!

What kind of school district/areas are most of you teaching in?

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2009

I work in a private Special Ed school. Parents think we are going to cure their children. If we don't, we are terrible teachers :dizzy: Here's another one:

Dear parent,
    I'm sorry that your son broke another table in your living room and made another hole in the wall. It must somehow be the school's fault. Of course I agree with you that it can't be YOUR fault because you cater to his every whim at home. I have one request. Could you please requesting to have meetings (about your son's terrible behavior) in the middle of the day when we have lunch. I have to be IN the lunchroom in case your child has a tantrum because there is no pizza or hot dogs. He cries and bites people if he doesn't like the lunch being served that day. And NO, they are not going to serve him special meals at your request just because you refuse to make him eat anything different than hot dogs and pizza at home. Thank you for your time (of course your time is always more valuable than ours).

Your humble servant (in your dreams),
    TeacherNY

36. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

This thread seems to be relieving alot of teachers :thumb: and providing lots of laughs. :lol:

Thanks for sharing. I really didn't realize how fortunate I've been?!! :love: Though I can relate to a few of them as I've seen many of my coworkers frustrated.

37. smalltowngal

Oct 31, 2009

I teach in a middle/upper class school with a few low SES students.

38. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

I teach in middle/upper class school in a French Immersion program.

39. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

Ooo...I've got one!

Dear Parent,
    I understand that it is very frustrating for your child when he does much worse on his math fact sheets than the other students. This could be easily solved with some simple practice at home, as he is a very bright little boy. However, I am sorry that at parent-teacher conferences I suggested the idea of flash cards because, as you said, you are still finding useless ones from first grade under the couch. I can't help wondering, though, if maybe using them a little bit then would have eliminated our current problem.

Also, I DO know how to get your child to do his 30 minutes worth of homework in less than 5 hours. How about turning off the TV so he is not distracted? (As you told me, is ADHD is pretty severe and it is hard for him to focus.) If your viewing habits are that much of a higher priority than your son's education, could he at least work in a different room?

And by the way, I just LOVE the extra one-on-one time I get to spend with your son EVERY DAY because he did not learn his memory work. Why wouldn't a nine-year-old be able to learn it on his own on the bus in the morning? I absolutely do not mind giving up my only 15 minutes of prep time to assist him with that. I'll gladly do all my grading in the evenings, because your time is much more valuable than mine. (Although that not getting a chance to use the restroom is getting a little annoying...)

Your child's teacher

40. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

!

Dear Parent,

My heart ached for your son when he was the only child in the class who came to school without a costume yesterday. The ache went away quite quickly as my blood began boiling when you blamed me for the situation.

I guess I didn't do enough to notify you by sending home a calendar describing the event, discussing the event the monthly newsletter, or posting daily announments on the classroom website. I thought the notice next to the sign-in sheet would have tipped you off.

I didn't think to call your house to remind you the night before because YOU and your siblings ATTENDED THE SAME SCHOOL AND DRESSED UP ON THIS DAY FOR 9 YEARS!!!

I must be self-centered to have expected a "thank-you" for finding a costume for your son, rather than silence when you came to pick him up. Well, enjoy your weekend. I look forward to seeing you again Monday.

Mrs. S

(Boy, that was cathartic!)

41. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

how ungrateful of her. By the way, Dzenna, what costume did you find for him?