Wish Us Luck....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 6, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 6, 2014

Next week is our annual week-long standardized testing of our Kindergarteners! Multiple choice, fill in the bubble, do not make any stray marks on the test. It takes about 2 hours every day for 5 days. *sigh*

We give the test officially to identify potentially GT students, however since it's the only standardized test we give all year it's used as a barometer for our teaching ability-so we have had to spend a lot of time in this typically fun season doing test prep activities. Teachers have been put on growth plans for low scores-even though we've only been teaching them for 3 months and it's not based on our curriculum at all. Not to mention, it's certainly not a developmentally appropriate way to test 5-year olds. *double sigh*

So wish us luck! :tired:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2014

Hugs, Kinder. I've rabbited at you in years past about the inappropriateness of the test, so I'll spare you this year's version of the screed.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2014

But I won't.

I really don't know what part of this is the most idiotic. The filling in the bubbles, the fact that it's only after 3 months, or the idea of using it to identify gifted students.

With my first graders, I could tell without even giving a test which kids were gifted. And that included kids who would actually tank a lot of standardized tests because they were smart enough to realize how stupid it was to have to take such a test when they were six and would express their contempt by marking the bubbles in an attractive zigzag pattern.

If you were really going to use a standardized test to identify gifted students, you wouldn't look at what they bubbled in the little circles. You would look at the unauthorized drawings in on the answer sheet and in the test booklet.

Giving kindergarten students a standardized test after 3 months and using it to grade teachers is also the opposite of smart. And I really mean that. Literally. If I were in a position to hire, retain, or promote kindergarten teachers in Texas, I would look for the ones with the lowest scores on this test because I would know that they were teaching kindergarten in a way that was developmentally appropriate and most likely to ensure success in later grades.

And just face it. If ignorance were Cornflakes, the idea of giving any multiple choice test to a kindergarten student would be General Mills.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 6, 2014

Sarge you always make me laugh (in a good way)! ;)

I completely agree with you. I also see GT kids all the time who do not score well and I see kids who are labeled GT who have no other trait that puts them in that category than being academically successful. I can tell much more from giving them a squiggle to turn into something or come up with a new use for a candy cane--but no one asks me. There's a formula based on the test scores and that is how the decision is made.

If you could see them sitting there with their little testing carrels up asking which question are we on because they are lost on their bubble sheets, crying and calling out "but, I can't read yet!"--it is really heartbreaking. Falling asleep in the afternoons because their brains are just so tired. Yeah--crazy! :dizzy:

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2014

The last time you discussed these tests I decided to check out the Texas Department of Education's site to see what they said about the tests given to Kindergarten students. It seems Texas DoE sees these tests as baseline tests to determine student level for use later and to determine how well pre-K programs are working.

If your district or principal is using them otherwise, I am very sorry to hear that because that is not the intent of the state according to their site.

I wish you luck. Sorry that this is the time of the year they decided to make the kids take the baseline tests.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 6, 2014

I never said it was a Texas state test-I really don't understand why it makes a difference. It's Stanford which is a standardized test that is given in every grade in our district beginning in Kinder. In my original post I even said the official use is for identifying potentially GT students-that's why we give it in December, they announce who got into the program in March so they need those scores for their formula. But since it's the only test we give, it's the only "data" of our teaching they get. Our scores will be displayed with all the other scores from all the other grade levels.

We have a completely different test we give at the BOY-which takes about 10 days to administer because it's one on one and online to determine effectiveness of Pre-K programs. But that's not standardized and doesn't give them percentiles to judge off of.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 7, 2014

I can't even process this because it's SO idiotic...

I am truly sorry. :(

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 7, 2014

Thank you Yellow Daisies-yes that's a perfect word for it! ;)

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 7, 2014

Hugs and happy thoughts for you and your students.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 7, 2014

I'm starting to consider data and accountability to be worse curse words than the F-word, with the damage being done to students due to them.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

Thanks guys! Hopefully the kiddos slept better than I did last night! ;)

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2014

MEEEEE TOOOOOO!!!!!!!

14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 14, 2015

I'm curious, how did it go?

Ilovetoteach1 likes this.