Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HannahB2, May 31, 2007.

1. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

May 31, 2007

A little background: I got pregnant and moved from RI to PA with my husband because of his job and didn't teach this previous year, well, I am looking to start a new job here for this upcoming school year. I've taught for 3 years in RI.

I had an interview yesterday at a school about 15 minutes away and I think it went really well. Well, tomorrow I'm having an interview at the school I really want, but I am nervous and just hoping you guys have some extra last minute tips!

Thanks everyone!

3. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

May 31, 2007

Hey Hannah - Good luck! I noticed you live in Sewickley! I live in Baden, about 10 minutes from you! Where have you interviewed? I've had 5 interviews so far and 2 rejections. I'm still waiting to hear from the other 3, but I think since it's been awhile since 2 of them, it's probably a no!

Good luck!

4. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I interviewed at Sewickley Academy on Wednesday and Osborne Elementary today. Where did you interview?

5. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Good Luck!!!

6. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

You're like me. I taught for three years and then took three years off. I had one interviewer that had issues with my break (although I think they were looking for negitives) but everyone else was fine with it.

Good luck!

7. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 1, 2007

I applied to Sewickley Academy for the 3rd, 4th, & 5th grade positions. THe head told me that they were "tightly scheduled" and would contact me if my credentials met their needs. I took that as "no, thanks!". Quaker Valley is awesome. My niece is in 4th grade at Osborne. I have no clue how to apply there, they never seem to post their openings! I've interviewed at South Fayette, Monaca, Blackhawk, Carlynton, and PA Cyber.

I hope it went well! Good luck!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

As a New Yorker, I have no idea either. But last year, when I was looking, I applied everywhere, whether there was an opening or not!

I sent a copy of my resume and cover letter to the principal of every school I was interested in. The two interviews and offers I got (before I stopped taking them) were both for positions I didn't know existed.

9. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

A lot of the schools in the Pittsburgh area won't accept applications unless a position is posted. We also have an online clearing house for applications that some schools only use. There are a few districts in the area that willa ctually shred your application if you send it before they ask for it, so I'm hesitant to send stuff, especially to districts that aren't so "friendly". I've already blanketed the area with applications to the districts that I know will accept applications anytime. I've also been watching websites for those districts that ask for appliations at certain time. The districts here are so persnickety!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

But if they're not posting openings anyway, what do you have to lose?