Wish Lists

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by luvmykids, Jul 16, 2005.

1. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 16, 2005

What are some things that are on your wish lists for next year that a new teacher, like me ;) , may not think of?

3. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 16, 2005

First Grade Supply List

1 Box of number 2 pencils
    1 Box of crayons
    1 Pack of glue sticks
    1 Bottle of white school glue
    1 Pack of baby wipes
    1 Roll of paper towels
    1 Box of Kleenex
    2 Folders with prongs in center
    1 Bottle of hand sanitizer
    1 Box of sandwich size bags
    1 Box of gallon size bags

I work in an inner city school and rarely if ever get any supplies so I try to make it simple. My best friend teaches in a surb school and she adds to the list expo markers, cleaners, cans of lysol, copy paper and writing paper, binders, rulers, fiskar scissors, markers, colored pencils and more of everything above. She might ask for 3 packs of Kleenex per student.
    I buy their paper- first grade manuscript is much easier and cheaper to buy at the teacher store so I buy it. It is like 5.00 for 500 sheets.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2005

film
    disposable digital camera
    paper lunch bags
    drawing paper
    snacks
    timer
    game pieces (from old games)
    dice
    stamp pads
    trinkets for goody box

5. staceracer

staceracer Rookie

Jul 16, 2005

wish list

Besides classroom supplies I also like to ask for playground balls (our school does not supply those for recess) and board games. I also always ask for old magazines, newspapers, fabric scraps, lunch sacks and paper plates. You never know when you might need stuff for a project. If you do a class store or auction it is good to ask for parents to bring in stuff for that and little indvidiually wrapped candy. Also books for you classroom library.

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2005

Is the wish list from the parents or the PTO? We have one from the PTO. I wanted small white boards for each student and an electric pencil sharpern. I didn't get the white boards :( Oh well. I am very lucky b/c we get all the school supplies. If one student can't get them PTO picks up the tab.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2005

In a private school you have to watch what you ask for. I had so much stuff last year and nowhere to put it! I think one of the parents alone brought in enough for the whole class. She was a trip. I'm still using her digital camera.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2005

hanvan- there are whiteboards for sale on ebay (at least they were before). i'm sure you don't really want tp put out your own money, but if you don't mind it, check it out. I bought a pack of 12 of them. With shipping and everything, I think it came to $24. Not too bad:)

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2005

Hanvan - I went to home depot and had them cut a sheet of the tile like you put on the inside of your tub into 3 strips and then cut those strips into 18 inch squares. I think I got 36 of them and it cost me 10 bucks. I kept a class set and gave the rest to another teacher for her small groups. We are both still using them because they are still in good shape. Also if the kids use an old sock to clean the boards it does an excellent job.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2005

Oh wow...what an idea! I'll have to remember that for the future:)

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2005

Thanks everyone!! What great ideas!!!

12. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2005

Yeah!!! I just bought 30 white boards off ebay!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

13. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 17, 2005

Some other teacher supplies that I found I use all of the time are:

Sharpies
    Vis-a-Vis markers
    sheet protectors
    cleaners (409/Lysol)
    yarn
    clipbord
    stacks of old newspapers & plasctic grocery bags (you NEVER know when a messy project might come up!)
    whiteout
    paperclips

Good luck this year!

mrs. dub

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2005

I also live for Clorox wipes...they keep my stuff clean and come in a lemon fresh scent:) lol

15. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 17, 2005

for white boards just go to home deopt. This is my first year teaching and this is what i did. i bought 2 large white board erase marker board at home deopt for about $7 each. They will cut the board at any size you want there (they will charge you per cut, if you are really nice with them they might be nicer with the charging, thats what they did for me). For about 20 dollards i was able to get 27 12X9 boards for each of my students to have. it is worth it, otherwise you will be spending over $2.50 each.
    hope this helps!

16. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 17, 2005

I finally did the shower board from Home Depot thing for white boards this year. I am so excited that all my kids can have their own white board. Up until this year, I have used individual chalkboards but I am changing schools and I had to leave them behind. I am requesting each child to bring a pack of dry erase markers because I know they won't last long in a kindergartners hand. I am going to make the back of my white boards magnetic so they can also use them as magnet boards. .....once my husband can get to that project.

17. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 17, 2005

how are you going to make them magnetic???

18. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 17, 2005

What about asking for books? I know that when I began teaching I needed books for my library. I ended up buying most of them, but if you could get them donated, that would be great!

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2005

Margo,
    This might be a silly question, but how do you make the whiteboards magnetic? Is it easy? :confused:

20. cmeldrid

cmeldrid Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

Just wanted to let you know that you can go to www.absdistrubting.com and they have white board paddles that are 12.95 per dozen. If you buy more than 2 sets they are 9.95.

21. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jul 18, 2005

Margo
    The most important thing you can teach the K Kids is to put the cover back on because the markers actually last a pretty long time if the cover is on. I suggest a community EXPO bin too, so that you could actually put them away when you don't want them used. When the whole class uses them at once, it can get a little smelly, and you will want to be able to clear the air. I had one K Kid complain when we brought them out as a whole group that he got headaches. We even used the low odor ones. They do love them! I do too...much easier, neater, more colorful than chalk. In K we used them to practice letter writing, and played a game rolling huge over-sized dice and writing math "number sentences" to correspond with the number that was rolled on the die. To do this, all the kids sat in a circle on the floor with their own board, marker and eraser. When they had their sentence written e.g 2 + 6 =, they individually figured out the answer then all showed their answers at once when I said "FLASH"
    I think EXPO markers and boards are great for a wish list.

22. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

You can buy magnetic paint at a paint store. My huband did one for me to try it out. Paint the back of the board with the magnetic paint. You can paint over it to add color if you want. I plan to paint over in 4 primary colors so that I can use the color as a management tool. Maybe have all the red boards hold up their answers, etc.

23. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

These kinds of things are usually community supplies in my room. And, you are right about teaching them to close them correctly. That is one thing I always stress to them when using markers in the art area. I was more afraid of marker abuse -- pushing down too hard, etc. I am sure I will have way too many markers than I really need by asking everyone to supply them but not everyone will so...... we'll see. I can always adjust the following year as needed.

24. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 18, 2005

I was just thnking of some additional things you might want to add to your wiah list for your class:
    3 oz. paper cups
    plastic spoons
    paper plates
    scraps of fabric
    sequins
    pipe cleaners
    wooden shapes
    felt
    card stock
    plaster of paris
    flat sheets or scraps of wrapping paper
    dried maccaroni or shaped pasta
    food coloring
    small bags of rice
    sponges
    plastic ties

Little paper cups are great for sorting, plastic spoons and plaster of paris can be used to make small lady bug or other bugs to make into a magnet, all other items are great to save for craft time, use food coloring to color rice or pasta for gluing onto paper to make pictures. Also you can pour a little corn syrup on a styrofoam plate, let the kids dot it with food color then let dry to make a stained glass effect, to show how colors mix.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2005

If you are going to store pasta in the classroom, first put it in the freezer to kill off any boll weevil eggs. Really.

26. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 18, 2005

When asking for Kleenex make sure you ask students to bring more in after winter break. My students come back to school with colds and we never seem to have enough after break.

27. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

I just thought of loose leaf binder rings. They are great for putting together those class books or other projects. I use them a lot in my room.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2005

Thanks for the tip! You learn something new everyday! :) :thanks:

29. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 18, 2005

would you mind telling me the name of the magnetic paint. I would like to purchase some. Thanks

30. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

I think it is just magnetic paint. I am not sure of the brand. If you ask for it, they should know what you are talking about. It is in the area of the specialty paint, near the chalkboard paint, etc.

31. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 18, 2005

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2005

I would have a child who passed out the dry erase markers and collected them when we were finished. Their job was to make sure the caps were on and get rid of the ones who cap was not on. They would get upset when one of their classmates would not put the top on.

For the wish list I would ask for sponges I like the ones with the brillo on one side and the sponge on the other side. It helps get glue and crayon off the table. I also ask for baby wipes and clorox wipes. Throughout the year I will ask parents to send in empty coffee cans, toliet paper rolls, egg cartons and such.