Wish List

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 18, 2003

Hi,
    In Septmeber 2001, I started teaching a brand new, autistic middle school class. My district gave us some supplies, games, and manipulatives. However, it was not much. Over the past year and a half, I have bought and borrowed a ton of materials, such as manipulatives, games, and supplies. At a recent meeting, a parent offered to buy some CD-ROMS, and games. She asked me to make a wish list for the parents. My question is,"How do I make a wish list?" Do I just write all of the things we want/need for the class? Or do I just ask for the money to cover the expenses?

Please let me know :)

Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2003

I have put together wish lists upon parents' request. They were always items, not money. One parent offered to donate up to a certain amount for a specific item, though, and that is different. I think if they ask you for a wish list, it means the supplies or equipment you need. Don't be shy. List your wishes! I got a great set of encyclopedias this way. If it is a private school, though, sometimes administration doesn't want you to 'nickel and dime' the parents. If public, I see no reason not to let the parent know what you want. You could also ask for donations of used books for the classroom library.

4. 3rdgradeteacher

3rdgradeteacher Rookie

Jan 18, 2003

I would make a list of the items you really want. If parents are willing to help purchase items, let them! My child's teacher does this and posts it Parent Night, conference day, etc. She gets most of the things that she asks for. She has a wide variety of prices on her list, so if someone wants to spend a lot, they can. If they don't have a lot to spend, they can still find things if they want to help. If you want, you could put "Gift Card for you Local Teacher Store" on your list.

I routinely send a list of things we are hoping for- usually I include things that people might be getting rid of- old books, puzzles, old magazines, etc. Parents usually respond quite well, as they know it is helping their children.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 19, 2003

Thank you for responding! The items that I am interested in are from a catalog. One being a great set of behavior/social skills game. This particular set is very expensive - $299. Should I give them the order number with price next to it. Maybe I should ask one parent to be the "head" of the wish list and collect the money from the other parents?

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 21, 2003

my school requires parents to complete volunteer hours. they receive one hour for every four dollars they spend if they cant volunteer their time.
    my wish list was for
    tv vcr combo
    walmart has for five dollars tape headset players for listening center
    walmart has for 15 cd headset players for individual music and they FIGHT for these. its great if you need a child to get away from academics for 15 minutes..
    Leap Pad for under 6 years old
    Quantum Pad- for over 6
    geosafari
    mathsafari
    any electronic educational games
    educational videos
    I want the Eyewitness videos but no one has given me them yet
    school house rock videos
    broom, dustpan
    soft place mats for kids to put lessons on
    clipboards
    disposable cameras
    tissue, wipes, bandaids, ziplock bags all sizes
    office stuff like pencils, hanging folders etc..
    i have had to create and update this and only give to the parents who fall negligent on their hours! I just got a 158$ tv vcr combo to replace the one that blew. SAVE ALL BOXES! you can play the return game if anything dies!