Wish I Could Say I Was Surprised....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 5, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/career-test-for-kindergar_0_n_1644215.html

My career goals in Kinder were to either become a ballerina or a K-Mart cashier. Students change their minds on a daily basis-I don't think any of that data is going to be very reliable. And how time-consuming-if you are doing any kind of assessment digitally with little ones, it takes forever.

I love the face on the kid pictured-that pretty much captures how I feel about this.

3. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 5, 2012

Wow, what a waste of money. I remember freaking out in high school over what career path to take and they want to ask kindergarteners?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

I guess I should reserve judgment until I know more about it, but...

:banghead:

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I didn't watch the video, so this may have been answered, but some kids in kindergarten have been exposed to sooooooo little that they don't even know what their interests are.

I know my comments are biased from my last few years in a very, very poor neighborhood school with a high crime rate, low level of parent education and interest in their children's education, and the lack of interaction I've witnessed firsthand. How are kids who don't know many common fruits and vegetables, can't hold a fork or spoon because they have never done so, may or may not know their first name instead of a nickname, and only know what they have seen on tv or video games going to answer an interest survey that is going to be valid many years later?

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 5, 2012

I'm pretty sure I knew by either 2nd grade that I wanted to be a teacher, but at kindergarten, no freaking clue. It's a waste of money.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2012

Absolutely. I have students who live 2 hours from the beach and have never been there. They don't know about a lot of jobs that exist. Really, there are people who fly planes? People fix cars? They learn an incredible amount of vocab in those early years of school.

I have a problem with the "tracking" aspect of it as well. We get kids every year with behavior issues or low in academics that can turn all that around in a year. It's immaturity or a stage or whatever. To have that for the next teacher to "judge" the student by year after year-I can just see kids getting labeled with labels they don't deserve.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

I wanted to be Jim Morrison or one of the Monkees (but not Davy Jones). I also wanted to work in a gas station.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 5, 2012

Kids at that age aren't aware of (or capable of considering) the myriad factors that play into career choices. Even if one's "career interests, academic performance and progress toward goals" were consistent from age 5 to age 18+ (unlikely), there are things like potential income, geographic location, and job market to consider.

This line almost made me choke: "The goal is to identify and address gaps in skills needed for college and the workforce." By testing kindergarten students? Really????

Plus, what happens to the 5-year-old who get results indicating that s/he is best suited for a field totally out of his/her interest area? That could potentially detract from the effort the student puts into school. What a great way to start one's educational experience.

I give this test two thumbs down.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

There are too many variables for this to be effective (i.e. constantly changing state standards, kids who move or transfer schools, kids who home school, different teaching styles, etc.)

Kind of a waste IMO too. I just don't understand the whole "I'm grooming my child for Harvard Law" mentality either.

In Kinder I wanted to be a lawyer because my dad was one. In High School I wanted to be a world-traveling hobo who occasionally worked at Bel-Air.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Good grief!...

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

I wanted to be a housewife when I was in kindergarten. My mom stayed at home with me until I started kindergarten. I truly didn't know what most people did for jobs. My entire family worked for GM in a factory!

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 5, 2012

I knew on my first day of grade 1 that I wanted to be a teacher.

That being said, I still took career aptitude tests in high school. One suggested I be an undertaker.

I cannot think of many jobs I would want less than working in a funeral home. It just doesn't suit my personality and I admire those that do.

Kindergarteners shouldn't be worried about careers. There are too many variables to those quizzes. Kindergarteners should be developing a love for learning and should be exposed to a variety of experiences.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

I wanted to be one of Santa's Elves when I was in kindergarten. Wonder how I would have done on that test...

15. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 6, 2012

Mine said that too!! I remember being so grossed out! :eek:

16. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

I wanted to be a fairy - no joke.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 7, 2012

I know several boys who wanted to be garbage men in K so they could ride on the back of the truck. While I think theory of tracking what professions students want to pursue is interesting for predicting job shortages and flooded markets, I think kindergarten might be too young.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2012

My son wanted to do this in first. I would tell him "I don't care what you are, just be the best ----- you can be.". He laughing tells people my mom told me I could even be a garbage man...then he had the ag teacher stage...then the fireman stage...then the lineman for the electric company stage...now he is going to college to be a police officer.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2012

I don't think you would ever really have effective predictions though. Many people change their minds in college to pursue a different career (I know I did, almost twice-if I would have taken the art elective my freshman instead of my senior year I would have found that interest sooner).

Don't the statistics now say people have many more career choices in their lives now, I think that will just increase in the future. With all the new technology there are jobs these kids will be able to work that haven't even been invented yet.

I just think we have enough assessments that we are required to complete and enough money spent on them.