Wisdom Teeth!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Iowa_Teacher, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. Everything is going really well---no pain, no bruising, and very little swelling BUT the pain meds are making me ill! They put me on Lortab and Ibuprofen as well as an antibiotic. I'm eating with them, but I feel really sick to my stomach. Blech!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Yuck! Hope you feel better soon!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Not fun. I was on Tylenol with codeine when I had mine out...talk about foggy! I ate instant mashed potatoes for daaays because I was afraid to eat any real solid food although I never really had amy pain...(see Tylenol codeine above!):dizzy:

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

You sound really lucky... I'm glad things seem to be healing really quickly. Mine didn't go quite as smoothly, I had TONS of swelling and bruising (they had to break my teeth to remove them). They gave me Perocet, but the doctor warned me that because of my low blood pressure, it could make me sick. I normally get some phenogram anytime I take a pain killer... it helps with the nausea. Maybe you can get some from the doctor. And if the pain really isn't that bad, you don't need to take the pain meds.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

I'm spacing them out a little more each time I'm taking them to see if it begins to hurt. So far so good. I'm hoping to be off of them completely by tomorrow...I think I'd rather have my teeth hurt a bit that feel nauseated all day.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

I had mine out one week before my 21st birthday--wonderful birthday dinner of mashed potatoes that year. I was given Tylenol with Codeine which made me violently ill so I stopped taking them after a couple of days (we weren't sure at first whether the nausea was from the anesthetic or the painkillers).

Glad to hear that your recovery is going so smoothly.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

That's awesome! It sounds like you will be back to normal in no time... I took the pain meds for about a week, and had difficulty chewing for several weeks (lots of jaw pain). My little sister had hers done before me, and had a super smooth recovery. Mine were just all impacted and sideways, plus I have a really tiny jaw. My sister and mom came down one night with a camera laughing because they wanted to take a picture because I was the worst they had ever seen anyone after getting their wisdom teeth out, lol... I had great support!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2010

Aw, hugs. At least it'll be over soon. Just will have to deal with the discomfort for a bit.

I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed since they didn't have any room to even pop out. It took two visits, two taken out from each side, and all I remember was being out of it (I was on valium and was put to sleep). I have no memories of what happened afterwards and at home. :rolleyes:

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 29, 2010

That happened with me when I had my wisdom teeth out. I found out I was intolerant to penicillinmade me throw up. I can't even smell them now without feeling sick. The pain meds made me itchy and hyper so I didn't take them. BTW they said they would make me sleep. haha

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 29, 2010

My jaw was locked for about a week. I could hardly brush my teeth.

12. Blurazzberi

Blurazzberi Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

Sounds like you're doing pretty well other than feeling ill. When I had mine removed the Dr. gave me Lortab but it always nauseates me so I got some Phenergan. Its a motion sickness pill -I took them together and I didn't ever have that pukey feeling.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 29, 2010

I have the same reaction to Vicodin (and benydryl for that matter)!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2010

I hate painkillers. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out I didnt want to take the painkillers because I hate how they make you feel. So I decided to just deal with the pain. It was hard, but I hate painkillers that much! And it took me about 2 weeks before I was back to normal.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2010

I'm sorry you're feeling ill from the meds. My wisdom teeth removal went smoothly & I was in no pain. I didn't need to take the painkillers that were prescribed.

16. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2010

They put me on Lortab too. That's what's making me sick. I took myself off of them overnight---I'm med free now and in no pain! Not too bad considering they came out on Tuesday :) I think, overall, it went better than I expected....now just to make sure I don't get dry socket!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

For what it's worth, each time I've had surgery (I think I'm up to 5???) I've been given a prescription for pain meds.

I've taken exactly ONE PILL in that time, and that was because the doctor told me I would need it.

I'm a total baby, with no tolerance for pain. But, either because of luck or an amazing assortment of doctors, the pain meds weren't necessary.

If they're making you that uncomfortable, try doing without them.

18. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

Yay! Glad you are feeling so great today. That is awesome since they just came out Tuesday. I hope you continue to feel great.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 30, 2010

I just had mine removed a few weeks ago, while 5 months pregnant. It was a danger to the pregnancy so it had to come out.
    Thank God everything went perfectly, and I didn't need the pain meds afterwards.
    I hope labor and delivery goes as smoothly. :D

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I took one of the pain pills they prescribed, and was promptly very sick. After that, I switched to plain tylenol/ibuprofen and was just fine.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I didn't have wisdom teeth.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

My wisdom teeth came out with very little problems... I remember being told to take two days off to recover, so I did... but I could have easily gone back the next day... I was in no pain, and not really using the pain relievers.

I think the worst part of it was hearing everyone's horror stories beforehand. I'm not sure what the purpose of telling such horror stories to someone prior to undergoing a procedure.

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I was told by my doctor that one of the roots was very close to one of the bones on my sinus cavity, which was about the thickness of a potato chip. If they cracked it, he said, anytime I drank something it would come out of my nose. As an 18 year old, I was pretty horrified!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2010

Two of mine were really close to a nerve and they told me if the nerve was nicked, I would be paralyzed on one side of my face. Thankfully that didn't happen.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

Under it all, I know they have to tell you all the risks, but hearing them really made me want to say, "No thanks, I'll just keep them!"

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

It sounds like things are going really well for you post-op! If the pain meds make you sick, try skipping a dose or two and see how you feel.

When I had mine removed when I was a teenager, I just took ibuprofen and an antibiotic afterwards. I didn't have general anesthesia for my procedure like all my friends did because there was some problem with the IV. I ended up staying awake and just getting a bunch of shots of Novocaine. It sounded gross with all the cracking and breaking and whatnot, but it wasn't a terrible experience. I think they were probably more gentle with me since I was awake, so I didn't have all the bruising and soreness afterwards.

Side note: not to get too personal and this may not even apply to you, but remember to use a back-up contraception if you are taking birth control pills. One of my teacher friends didn't know that she needed to do that when she was prescribed an antibiotic for a sinus infection. Maybe the doctors and pharmacists think that everyone knows that, but not everyone does.

Happy recovering!