Wisconsin teachers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Mar 2, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 2, 2011

Are you just feeling wiped? I just find myself questioning whether or not I want to stay in education, if I should even bother to get my master's, what I will do when I get a non-renewal notice eventually (which is what is happening in many districts).

I just feel so depressed. Three weeks ago I had a life plan, and now I just don't know what's going on around here. The mood around my school amongst staff is just so depressing...We're trying to keep our heads held high, but it's so tough. :(

How are things at your school?

P.S: I know we can't have political threads, so I'm trying to keep this about support and future life plans.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

DP~I'm sorry that you're feeling like that. I'm sure many teachers are feeling the same way around the country. What's going on in Wisconsin is horrible, and will probably start a motion throughout the country. I switch back and forth all the time about what I want to do. I already have my masters...though I know now that it probably won't do me any good anyway. I'm now looking at diagnostician programs, and that is probably what I'll stick with. Gets me out of the classroom, but still in education.

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Mar 2, 2011

Well, I got my non-renewal notice on Monday, so yes. I've been stressed since all this started, and with the budget release, things have only gotten worse. I've been sick to my stomach and not sleeping for three days. Morale in my building is pretty low. It's hard to imagine anything good coming from all this. I've stopped watching the news completing...it only upsets me more. I was even verbally attacked in the grocery store this weekend...an elderly woman complaining that her property taxes pay my pension and I deserve to have my pay cut. It was so upsetting, I almost burst into tears right there. I wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As for affect on future plans...big time. Was hoping to finally buy a new car (I've been driving the same car since college), had considered getting a reading certification, and would love to start a family...but not sure if those things are in the plans anymore.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2011

scooter, this is probably a dumb question.......... but does getting a "non-renewal notice" mean that you are definitely fired from your position........ that you will not teach at that school next year?

Major.......:hugs:

6. smalltowngal

Mar 2, 2011

:hugs: scooter...

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2011

I am so sorry! That is horrible. :hugs:

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2011

I am an old SOB so I would have said, "Thank you, and who pays your pension?"
    Remember you can't really do anything about it, so cut back, get your resume out, to quote John Lennon "Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
    This too will pass.
    I put up with it 35 years. I got a non-renewal notice twice, I subbed a year each time until I got the new job.... I just hit the bricks and found another teaching job.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train coming at you!
    I will put you in my prayers

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 3, 2011

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a mess for the entire state, and so unfortunate for our children that good teachers are being let go.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2011

Yep, wiped!
    Going to bed really early and waking worried.
    Worried about my job and my own sons' education in WI.
    Saddened by the cold comments.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2011

Is this correct, "The bill would eliminate collective bargaining rights for most public workers. The unions would still represent those workers but pay increases would be pegged to the Consumer Price Index. Unions could not force employees to pay dues and would have to hold annual votes to stay organized." ?

This is about what we have in Arizona we do ok :rolleyes: ... but we do rank 49th or 50th in education in the 50 states
    and we are a right to work state. We have had about only 3 teacher strikes in the last 50 years

12. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Mar 3, 2011

I don't understand what is happening here.. Doesn't anyone in power understand the importance of EDUCATION? It just dumbfounds me.. :banghead:

Good luck to those teachers who get their non-renewal notices.. :hugs:

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 3, 2011

So sorry Wisconsin is going through this.

14. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Mar 3, 2011

Technically, a non-renewal means they are severing all ties with me and do not have to call me back if the budget improves. Our union is arguing the wording, saying we all should have received layoff notices. I'm waiting to hear on that decision. It's been a really rough week at school, that's for sure.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2011

Sounds like all the teachers in the whole state should get a case of "whiteboard flu" on the same day.(in my day it was called "chalkboard flu")

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 4, 2011

I just think it's really tough to teach in a state where the governor doesn't value education (he is, after all, a college dropout with a 2.0 GPA). He is cutting $850 million in education, and he doesn't think teachers should need a license to teach-he thinks anyone can do it! I just feel like I'm living in the twilight zone...Who is this guy?!

17. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2011

DP~after reading that, I have to think the same thing!! I do feel like I'm in the twilight zone, and that this is just temporary!