Wisconsin Education Going Down

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gebakat, Feb 12, 2011.

1. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Feb 12, 2011

Got this from our union today. Apparently teachers are no more than a drain on state budgets and not worth supporting at all!

Governor Scott Walker is proposing to wipe away decades of collective bargaining for you, your colleagues and other public workers in Wisconsin. Your right to organize, your right to bargain health insurance or prep time, your right to have a voice in the profession - all of those things and more are under attack in Walker's budget bill. This is a strike on public workers, unions and the dedicated professionals in classrooms across the state. This is an attack on worker rights.

The Budget Repair Bill will focus on limiting benefits and salaries as well as ending workplace rights:

· Collective Bargaining -The bill also makes changes to limit bargaining to only pay increases and the increase cannot exceed the Consumer Price Index which last year was 1.5% -unless approved by a referendum. You will not get any pay increases based on steps or lanes. By limiting bargaining to only salary, you also will become a probationary employee with no protections against unjust termination or layoff. You can be fired for any reason without any recourse. You can be laid off out of seniority. Your work can be privatized through subcontracting. All working conditions will be controlled by management. Contracts will be limited to one year and wages will be frozen until the new contract is settled.

· Union Strength: Employers will be prohibited from collecting union dues and members will not be required to pay dues-this will effectively kill unions altogether so they can no longer bargain even pay increases. Your union will not have the resources to represent you without dues check-off. Your workplace soon will be non-union because you must vote every year whether to keep a union and who would vote to keep a union that can't represent its members?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2011

Similar bills are going up all over the US. So far, the ones I've heard of are not passing.

With that said, I sympathize with what you are feeling now. It's absolutely crazy and the right to organize is one of our fundamental rights in this country!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2011

The bill in Florida failed last year...it's been resurrected by the new gov.

5. TeacherNiav

TeacherNiav Rookie

Feb 12, 2011

The scary thing with what's happening in WI is that it really looks like it will pass! Plus, it is supported by WEAC, which is difficult to fathom.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2011

That is difficult to fathom.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 12, 2011

This is certainly the trend. It is unfortunate. To be honest, if there were no lanes, I would not have gotten my master's. People generally do get paid more with MAs in the corporate world, so why should education be any different?

8. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Feb 12, 2011

This is definitely not supported by WEAC.

9. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Feb 12, 2011

Could you give me an example of someone in the corporate world immediately getting a raise for obtaining their Master's?

You probably can't.

Because in the corporate world you're paid based on your job.

The corporate world equivalent of a pay increase with a masters would be you being 'promoted' to administration.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 12, 2011

Not true, Pete. There are many corporations that increase salary when you obtain your master's degree or other certifications. It is becoming less and less, but it still exists. Some also give salary increases with every certification. However, more responsibility typically follows which means more work hours or more accountability.

11. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 12, 2011

Gov. Walker wants to do this to all state employees. He tried to do it Milwaukee county, and the courts reversed it. This won't fly.

Gov. Walker believes in privatizing everything, in the name of saving money. It seldom saves any money, and has been disasterous for Milwaukee County.

So if you live in Wisconsin, call your representatives and tell them to vote this thing down! Do it soon, it will be up for a vote in a week or so.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2011

My major concern is how close the officials bring this up to the vote. Almost like people will just vote yes if they don't have time to think about it.

I hope that these bills will stop coming before the different congresses soon! I'm scared that one will actually pass, even though I know that the government cannot take away our right to organize (or have a union!)

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2011

This is not being supported by WEAC.
    Recently WEAC decided to support to work together on merit pay, but not the bargaining. I am still disappointed that we are supporting merit pay.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2011

We will not get paid on steps or lanes.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2011

Unfortuately, it is not all state employees. Some are exempt which I feel is discriminating.

I've been calling and having neighbors and friends do the same.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2011

I pray this won't fly.
    If it passes here, it may become a trend to pass everywhere.

In America, how can it only be for some state employees and not others? The media keeps saying all public employees, but that's not true. Some are exempt. Hopefully that will get better known and draw a stir.

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

Ohio is experiencing the same!

I can't believe the schools closed today!!

So glad to see the support!

Keep us posted!

18. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

19. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Feb 17, 2011

This makes me sick. Six school districts shut down around my city today in support. Milwaukee Public Schools tried but were told they would be fired on the spot. As I subbed today I talked to a few teachers who joked planning a school wide golf outing.

I will do whatever I can because this is just wrong! As a sub I feel a little torn because if something happens and the teachers strike I will get lots of subbing jobs but I want to support the teachers. It is hard.

I do not think WEAC is supporting this. http://www.weac.org/Home.aspx

Front page says everything!

20. rookieteacher:)

Feb 17, 2011

I guess firefighters and cops are safe because they supported Walker so he told them they are safe from cuts. At least that is the rumor around here...

21. rookieteacher:)

Feb 17, 2011

22. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

The same thing is happening in Ohio. Our bill, though, is to eliminate collective bargaining for ALL state employees-teachers, cops, firefighters, etc. The FOP endorsed our new governor. A fact was released today that we could potentially be looking at a $20,000 pay cut if this thing goes through. The unions state they are all sticking together and we are all calling/e-mailing/writing letters/protesting at the statehouse in opposition.

23. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

I'm glad someone figured out how to stop Walker and the rest of the Republicans from shoving this through into law.

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2011

What is the bill in Ohio called? Just curious- I had several family members that are teaching in Ohio and I haven't heard about this yet. I want to ask them about it!

25. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

If this sort of thing was happening in my state, I for one, would not support a walkout/strike of any kind. I'd cross the picket line with my head held high. I'm tired of wasting my time, subbing for complacent, entitled people... Wasting my life and the prime years of my career, subbing for teachers who I know I'm better than.

This is unfortunate, as cops and especially fire are the biggest exploiters of public funds out there IMO.

26. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 17, 2011

It is Senate Bill 5. It is huge, I'm sure your family members know about it!

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

I don't know you from Adam, but I'm not sure I would want you subbing in my room, if that is your impression of the teachers you sub for. I would support a walk out because I work with the most dedicated, inspired, and hard working teachers you will ever find. I don't know any "complacent, entitled people"

28. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

Because I'm able to form opinions about teaching (my chosen profession) based on my own observations of the way a teacher teaches, her/his interactions with students, her/his devotion to their jobs (and especially considering the job climate these days)... not to mention feedback from parents, other teachers (who I consider good), support staff, and the fact that I've spent many years working across the spectrum of grade levels and economic levels... I'm not worthy to sub in your class? I don't understand.

Because I think I'm able to personally form an opinion, you would choose to black-ball me as a sub? For the record, that is a big reason why this sort of assault on teachers is happening. People are tired of the herd mentality when it comes to teachers and how they do business. In a natural environment, the weakest of a herd are culled from the ranks by natural selection. In teaching, these worst are protected. That's the type I'm railing against, and the type that I see every day in my travels. If you choose to be blind to those truths (along with the truth that we have many many young capable people chomping at the bit to go for it), then I don't know how to respond to that.

Am I supposed to ignore seeing a 1st grade teacher in her 30th year berate kids in an inappropriate and unfeeling way? Am I supposed to not form an opinion of a class where the kids routinely keep their desks in disarray, and the teacher's MO is to yell because the kids never stop talking in her class? I don't understand what you are saying?

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2011

And, like you, I have the right to form opinions about others. Personally, I think that your general opinions about teachers does not present the positive attitude that I would like in my class. I am only able to form an opinion based on your posts and they seem pretty negative.
    I will support my fellow teachers...that is my right, not an obligation. I am not part of a herd mentality. It has not been my experience that the worst are protected.
    Of course, there are poor teachers out there, just like in any profession. I just choose not to agree with you that those teachers are in the majority.

30. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2011

I read some of the comments on one of the news articles. They are so negative it is sad. I really wonder about the lack of union history for people.

Doesn't everyone like not having to work more than 8 hours a day and not more than 40 hours in a week? They need to thank the unions!

Doesn't everyone like having a minimum wage? They need to thank the unions!

Doesn't everyone like due process before firing? They need to thank the unions!

Doesn't everyone like pensions and/or social security? They need to thank the unions! My great great grandfather died on his job for union pacific rails due to no social security, medicare, pensions in the 1930's

How about overtime? How about disability insurance? How about no child labor? Safety rules? Not being fired for getting married? The list goes on.

If the US attitude continues we will watch our rights stripped till the workers are back to the 1910s lack of rights.

31. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2011

Yes, I just asked and they told me all about it, haha! Pretty scary stuff!