Wireless

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 1, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

As I have been interviewing, I have been astounded by the fact that most schools do not have wireless in their buildings. One school was so proud that it was being installed this summer. I always ask about technology available- one school listed "overhead projector"! :eek:

My school has had it since I got there in 2007, but most teachers didn't start getting laptops until 2008. By 2009, we all had them. We also all have Promethean boards and iPads. We have 3 laptop carts for student use (we only had 1 until this year- we have spent Title I money on the others). I know I am technologically fortunate.

Anyway, do you have wireless/laptops?

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 1, 2012

We do have wireless and laptop carts, but they are not always all they are cracked up to be. Some of our different hubs 'fight' with each other, making student use of the carts and their own wireless devices challenging.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Our carts have a router on them. We unplug a desktop and plug in the router, so wireless is not an issue.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I did in my previous district. I realized after I visited my new classroom for my new district that I didn't see any of the teachers with laptops- it was the last day of school, so it's possible they were collected or something, but I'm not too hopeful. I didn't really realize it until I left so I couldn't ask. It's going to be hard for to transition to not having one!

The classrooms did have a few desktops each, but they seemed clearly set up for students and there was not one on the teacher's desk or anything like that. I had been kind of thinking that I may just need to suck it up and bring my personal laptop with me each day- it didn't even occur to me until I saw this thread that the school may not even have wireless internet!

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 1, 2012

In my school all teachers are provided a laptop, and wireless has been available for years.. I am surprised to hear that schools do not have wireless. We also have a computer lab for the kids, with desktops and laptops with wireless, and a smartboard.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

We have laptops in our computer lab with a wireless hub just for those laptops. We only have that because of a grant a teacher wrote. It's not funded by the district.

The district is adding a separate wireless hub in each building over the summer. We will be using ipods for assessment and they will connect to that network.

Teachers are not given laptops. We do have access to desktop computers (3 - 6 in each classroom). Many of our classrooms have SMARTboards, but not all.

8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 1, 2012

All of us have desktops. There are two computer lab rooms - one pc/one mac-pc. We have 5 or so carts of laptops which are assigned to class levels. Wireless is new to the building and works better in some rooms than in others. All rooms have projectors - most are ceiling mounted and linked to the teacher desktop. Many teachers bring in their own laptops and there is equipment to allow us to go wireless with those, but it has not been installed. There is a handful of smart boards of several makes/models sprinkled through the building - some mounted/some portable. With the storm that did so damage in the area on Friday, I was really hoping the roof was torn off the building so we could rebuild and modernize. The building survived.

9. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 1, 2012

We all have desktop computers - PCs. I often bring my macbook from home...I suggested purchasing a cart of them to our technology coordinator, and he laughed it off. I guess they are not in the budget. We also have Smartboards in most rooms, although it took a semester before I got mine. There is wireless connection everywhere on campus.

Ipads, really? Wow, must have been nice!

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 1, 2012

We were recently told that there is no money for replacement computers. We were told to make sure we treat our PCs well, keep them dust free. If they break and there is no way to cannibalize parts, we are out out of luck!

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

We have a pc, laptop, smartboard, 4 student computers in our room. We have two computer labs that have at least enough computers for two classes at a time. We are wireless as well. We just got an upgrade on our wireless system. My laptop is needing an overhaul and I would like a new screen for my PC. We shall see what technology brings in the future.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Not really. In theory, yes. However, they claim that they have to buy a copy of each app for each teacher- even if we are not going to use it. So, we basically just have free apps. And many are trials, so they are extremely limited. Plus, they are geared towards PRESCHOOL- I teach 5TH!!! On top of all that, it has Mobicip instead of Safari. I can't even pull up the newspaper. :down: Oh- and I can't even get the free apps I actually want :down: :down: I actually plug my phone in sometimes and use it.

I only use it to do Reading 3D assessments.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

We are 100% Macs at my school.

We are NOT ALLOWED to bring in any personal technology. If we do, it becomes property of the school system and this is enforced. I plug my phone in sometimes when we have a few minutes to play things like Stack the States or Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

We've had wireless for about a year and a half. It isn't without controversy, however--there is a group of parents who are trying to get it taken out of all schools because of health risks.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

We have 1 regular lap with desktops and each classroom has 3 desktops. And a printer. But we never have any ink. I've been out since March, so it is not like the printer does me any good.

We do not have document cameras, though, which drives me nuts!

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 1, 2012

We have 5 student computers and a teacher desktop in our room. There is a laptop cart and iPod cart that can be checked out.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I had wireless laptops back in 2003. I connected my home laptop to it sometimes. It worked within our hallway, and I don't think that most people even realized we had it. We got wireless in the entire district last year, or maybe it was year before last. I can't remember.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

We have an iPod cart, too. But I never use it. A lot of the K-2 teachers use them in reading centers.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

I wish they would give us the password for the wireless. I knew it a few years ago, but things still wouldn't connect unless it was school issued. We have Apple airports, so maybe that is why my PC wouldn't connect. Of course, I was hiding the fact that I had my personal laptop at school :whistle:

20. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 1, 2012

We have wireless in some parts of the school but it's unreliable. I bring my own laptop in most of the time and hope the wifi works because some rooms also don't have working ethernets.

We have computer labs (non wireless) and the are TERRIBLE. Very slow.

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

We do have wireless in our high, middle, and intermediate schools. The elementary schools are getting wireless this summer and the other schools will be getting updated. The district also wants to have 1 to 1 computers within 2 years. They are piloting 1 to 1 in some classrooms this year, so they need wireless.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2012

For the past 4 years, I have worked in VERY low-income urban neighborhood schools (Title I). The admin of the first school did not care about technology, so we had few (I had 3) computers in our classrooms (desktops), no printers, and even fewer of the computers worked, much less had internet access. My current school has wireless throughout, and no one minds if we connect our personal items to it. In my classroom, there are 5 desktops (one is supposed to be the teacher computer), and I have a district issued laptop as well as my personal laptop. I use the "di" laptop to run my smartboard and ELMO, and my personal for grading, paperwork, or correspondence. I have a non-working laserprinter (have to get technology on that one) as well as my own personal printer. Our school has a fully equipped computer lab, but since my kiddos access the classroom computers at least 3 times per week (hoping for twice that next year), we don't use the lab. Our library also has around 20 desktops, plus a smartboard and elmo. There are two laptop carts at the school, but the higher classes generally check them out. Having discussed this with teachers at so-called "good" schools (in high income neighborhoods), I feel very fortunate, because they are just beginning acquire technology in small amounts!

23. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

Are you all in public schools? IDK about other/most private schools but the one I'm in doesn't have the funds for the tech things. What desktop PCs we have are dinos! I take my own laptop to/from but no internet available. If we really must get online during the school day we can use the Director's computer.

24. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 1, 2012

No wireless.

2 laptop carts (but lots of issues with the laptops including most of them not having any kind of word processor which makes them somewhat useless for English).

Computer lab (but it's difficult to get into and that blew up into a huge thing when I brought it up at a PLC meeting and absolutely nothing changed other than me making an enemy)

Smartboards in all the rooms

Teachers have computers (most are desktops). I did have a laptop but it crashed for the 3rd time and getting a decent laptop wasn't in the budget so I bought my own and use it.

Admin has iPads which caused some controversy among the teachers. Frankly, I don't care because our filtering software blocks pretty much everything (for instance msnbc.com and nationalgeographic.com are blocked...then i email the filtering software and they are unblocked for a day or two). I've brought up this issue constantly at curriculum committee and PLC meetings.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

The district I live in issues all 3-12 students a MacBook. I'm pretty sure it is through a grant. They have had this program for at least 4 years. I am super jealous and if I didn't love my administration, I'd definitely jump ship!

(To those of you who may be confused- I have a job here in NC, but I am looking for a job in MI. I'm not resigning until I find new employment)

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 1, 2012

Where to start:

1) Classroom has a Promethean Board, 4 student computers, Audio system, and teacher station.

2) 2 computer labs with 30+ computers each (one on each floor)

3) 4 Ipad carts with 30 Ipads each

4) 1 Ipod cart with 32 Ipod touches

We are supposed to get another Ipad cart for this next year

and yes of course we are wireless.

Our system used to have the same policy as a pp where when you brought in outside tech it became the property of the system.

They now ENCOURAGE students and teachers to BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology).

oh yeah and we also have 4 netbook carts.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  27. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

We have wireless and teacher laptops. We have two carts of student laptops.

28. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

Yes we have it among other technologies. We don't all have smartboards or our own laptops though.

29. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

We have wifi and 30 laptops in a cart that the school shares. We (the teachers) do not have laptops. If we want to bring in our own laptop, we have to get it authorized by the district which can take weeks. Many sites are blocked but it is starting to get better.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 2, 2012

We had wireless, but teachers weren't allowed to use it (I have no idea who it was meant for).

One great thing though, is that youtube was allowed on the network, which it isn't at many districts around where I live.

We had projectors, and elmos as well, and I think we had a laptop cart, but I never used it.

The school I am hoping to go to has even less technology. :unsure:

31. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

We have super wireless because our school is new and our district is moving to BYOD this year.

We have a Promethean board in every room, along with a teacher laptop.

Each classroom has one or two student laptop and two student iPads. (Yes, we are trying to get more laptops for classrooms.) When we had some extra money, I asked for the two iPads over one classroom laptop because the iPads were cheaper, and they can't be taken away at testing time--they will stay in the classroom.

We have two laptop carts for full class use (though they are used mostly for testing, which breaks my heart), and one cart in my lab.

We have three carts of iPod touches and two carts of iPads. The iPad carts only have 15 iPads, because I want the teachers to encourage collaboration in their use when they check them out for classes.

Then we have 3 Activote sets, which I wish were used more often.

My BIG FEAR is that since all of this was bought within the last year, it will all need to be refreshed at the same time. I hope we're in some fat years at that point!

32. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

I wish you worked at my school! We are rolling out iPads this year, and I am working hard to make it super friendly for the classroom teachers. It is true that you must use the Voucher Purchase Program to put apps on machines, but you get a 50% discount when you order 20 or more, so you should pay for some apps that have a broad appeal. There are a lot of great free apps out there that allow for student creativity. Things like Educreations, Doodle Buddy, Toontastic, Scribble Press, StoryBoard, Puppet Pals, Popplet, Idea Sketch, iBrainstorm...all allow students to do projects or plan projects. Of course, these work best if you have Dropbox (FREE) for saving student work and pushing pictures out to the devices.

If you get a Belkin 5-way audio splitter, you can put a group back there with headphones or earbuds to watch a BrainPop or Discovery Ed video.

If your tech person gets the Apple Configurator, it is supposed to make it easy to put the same apps on a certain group of devices. For example, I am making a profile for K-1, 2-3, and 4-5, so that we are not wasting money putting the paid apps that each grade level really wants on all the iPads, only where they will be used. I am going to try to get Configurator this week. In this way, each grade will have to decide what the grade level wants for their 10 classroom iPads (and then the adjacent grade level will automatically get those apps because you get 20 for the same price as 10 with the VPP).

WHY did they remove Safari? How crazy! Do you think if you gave your tech person a list of free apps you want over the summer, she could put them on for the school year?

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

We have a set of Activotes for each K-2 grade level and a set of Expressions for each 3-5 grade level. I wish they'd come out with something a bit more updated. The buttons are hard to push and the last class or two has had a hard time texting on a number keyboard. I few years ago (before all cellphones had QWERTY keyboards), they were amazingly fast!

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2012

I have no idea why they removed Safari. We have begged and pleaded, and we were finally told to quit asking.

We gave them a wish list before we ever got them. They won't even put on free apps like Stack the States or QuickGrader. I literally have apps like "Preschool Games- Farm Animals by Photo Touch", iHandy Level (Gee thanks), Pocket Pond, ABC Tracer (the free version- it only does letters A, B, and C), 123 Tracer Lite, Farm Animals, etc....
    They did pay for Garage Band, iMovie, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote.

35. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

The new ActivExpression2 has a QWERTY keyboard...they look like Blackberries. You can also download an app called ActivEngage, which lets you use iPods and iPads as response devices. While the app is free, the hub costs something like $700 per 32 devices. We won't be getting either any time soon. :(

36. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what to say...there are so many free apps out there that are appropriate for your grade level. I'm frustrated for you! We are upset b/c the district wants us to disable the cameras for CYA reasons, but I guess it could be worse.

37. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 3, 2012

Totally forgot about the ActivVotes and ActivExpressions: I don't know for sure how many sets we have of each. I know it was enough that I had a set of votes for a good while and then when the new expressions came in I was able to trade them in and get a set that I kept for the rest of the year in my classroom. My students loved them. I teach second so I started the year with the votes and then a little after Christmas break I switched to the expressions. It was an easy transition and kept the kids stay engaged because it was something "new".

38. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 3, 2012

I don't even know what half of these things are!! However, we do have wireless.

39. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

we have wifi when it works. It goes down all the time. We just got teacher laptops.

40. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 4, 2012

I actually still use an overhead projector-- it just works well for some things that I can't really do with my Smartboard necessarily. But I had to beg the school to find one for me-- they did locate one collecting dust in the closet of the library :) So they were happy to give it away to me.

At both private schools I've taught at, they had wireless and hook up capability too. At my first school, I had a teacher laptop so those used wireless and my classroom had 4 desktops that were not wireless. At my second school, we use wireless for everything, except the computer lab which has desktops. I have a set of brand new laptops (20 of them) that are wireless that I can use with my 3rd and 4th graders-- 5th and 6th graders have their own laptops with wireless. I also have a document camera for my own classroom, while at my first school I had to fight with the other science teachers to borrow one. (And they didn't like to share with the newbie)

My experience in public schools were different-- no student technology, although teachers had a laptop each and a Smartboard.

41. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

I didn't use an overhead before I got my ActivBoard. I hate the markers, cleaning the transparencies, etc... I have access to one if I need it, but I haven't needed it a single time since I took mine to the Media Center.

I just found it funny that they would even list it as technology!