Wireless Service Providers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

So...Lauren will be going to school in Ohio beginning in August and we'll need to get her a cell phone to use when she's at school. She has a Blackberry now, but the data, roaming and long distance charges she would incur using the phone out of country are prohibitive, so we'll need to make a change. I need suggestions of service providers to look at, and I need to keep the monthly cost as low as possible (as I'll still be paying on her current contract here). Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

Can you renegotiate with your current provider? We have Verizon, but it's our computers, cable, home phone and several cell phones...

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 20, 2012

Look into some of the pre-paid plans. I'm not sure what's available in Ohio, but I use Virgin Mobile, and unlimited data, text and talk is only $55/mo. Also, if you use a company that also operates in the US, talk to them about spinning off that line to a US phone number. I had a line on my brother-in-law's account for several months, and they were willing to spin mine off into it's own account without charging him anything extra. That might be a possibility for you as well.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 22, 2012

Do verizon, I believe they are the only provider in the US, outside of sprint, who allow both GSM and CDMA (So the phone can be used internationally)

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 22, 2012

I would use Verizon, however it is not the cheapest. I would be wary using the lesser-known providers, often times they don't have much range outside the major hubs.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

The reality is that she will really only need it to be in touch with people on campus. We'll use Skype and email to be in touch with her from home--phone calls either way using wireless would break the bank rather quickly! I think we'll heading down sometime in March or April so I can do some inquiries then.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 22, 2012

Even on campus, the lesser-known providers may not be reliable on campus. It all depends on the campus though, on my sons campus verizon works great, while Spring and others do not work very well.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the information, Brendan. Maybe I'll have her get in touch with some of the girls from the team to ask for their suggestions of what's reliable and not cost-prohibitive.

10. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

11. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 22, 2012

I have Virgin Mobile as well. It's the cheapest thing around by far. I pay $45/month for 1200 minutes, unlimited data and text. I have a nice smart phone. They have a lower tiered plan with $35/month for 300 minutes and unlimited everything else, as well as a higher one for $55 and unlimited minutes. If she doesn't want internet, they have plans called "Paylo" which are even cheaper because they remove the unlimited data and make it something like 30mb. This is what my mom uses these days. The main reason I like Virgin is the lack of contract. My plan was to buy a phone from Best Buy and try it out to see if I liked it, and if not return it and cancel my membership. I ended up sticking with it. I would just check the coverage map over wherever the school is.

If she does need to call Canada, the rate is 10 cents per minute.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 22, 2012

I have Verizon. When we went to Canada last year, we were able to text unlimited back here in Ohio. Calls were still charged, but not outrageous. If Lauren in using this phone to communicate with others on campus, perhaps she could find out what wireless providers are most common there. Most plans include free mobile to mobile texting and calling.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2012

Yeah, it definitely is nice that almost all my friends are also on Verizon--that way I don't use up the limited minutes I have calling them, and can save them for my family!

Being in a rural area sometimes stinks--Verizon is really the only network that has coverage here, so no shopping around for better rates...

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2012

I'm with Verizon, but sometimes it takes 2 weeks for me to get a text or voice message. And my blackberry is a pain. Keeps freezing up. I hear lots of people having bad luck with them.

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2012

PS--Do NOT go with Boost mobile. There's not even a number to call for customer service. And if you google and do find one (their number is a well kept secret) nobody there will help you at all.