Wiped Out!!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 21, 2002

After only 3 days at my new job (middle school math), I have to say I am totally wiped out. I am hitting the sack every night at 9pm and waking up at 6am. Am I going nuts????????? I have never been this tired in my life before!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 21, 2002

Welcome back to school! :)

This is going on my second week and I don't see things slowing down until ???

What grade do you have?

Lori

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 22, 2002

You are not alone! I go home a zombie at the end of the day. I live on coffee. I have it in the morning, and then I even need it when I get home just so I can function for the evening. This is my second year, but I am still not used to it. It gets a little better, but it still is draining.

5. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 23, 2002

Coffee is a must!:eek: Prepare to be tired until June. Cheer up, June is only 9 months away. I usually get maybe 6 hours a night during the school year, maybe a little more on the weekends. Sleeping tends to get postponed until summer.:eek:

This isn't as bad as it may seem. Sometimes you have to absorb the energy that the kids bring. It is so worth it, trust me!

Have a great year!

Ed

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 24, 2002

My husband doesn't understand! I tell him it is so tiring and overwhelming to be stuck in the same space with 20 6 year olds all day. I never get a complete thought through my mind that it is not interrupted. I wish for 5 minutes of total silence. It's overwhelming. Then there is work to do after school every night. Very tired!

7. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 24, 2002

This is exactly what I needed to hear! It's oddly comforting to know its like this for teachers everywhere. I switched from three years of PreK (which became a 7.5 hour job after the first month of each year) to third grade. After working 12 hour days this week, I now spent 12 hours today (Saturday)- and the kids don't even come until Monday! I haven't been this tired since student teaching, and I really hoped it would be better since I'm experienced.

This is soooo much more work than with the little ones, for me at least. This has got to slow down some for my own sanity. My sleep is all messed up because I can't stop thinking about school at night.

I don't want to burn out in August! A bunch of us were complaining about the long hours yesterday and I said, "I've been at school all evening!". My co-worker said, "Yeah, well, it's a nice place to be, though".

She's right.

But ahhh.. to come home at three o'clock! I'll try to get some sleep tonight so I can dream about it. :)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 24, 2002

I agree with angela. I go to sleep every night thinking about new things to do at school. things to motivate my students and things to do different to my classroom. This is my second year in 2nd grade and i just found this site. I LOVE IT!!!! I am so glad to hear other teachers thoughts and opinions that are so much like my own!!!!!I am also exhausted every night, but it is well worth it!!

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 25, 2002

I am a different person this week as i prepared my room. I have been so 'into my head' with lists of things to do, multi tasking, meetings to attend.... urgh.
    I did not work this summer. I drove my two kids (under 7 years old) to camp every day and picked them up. I made lunch on some days for my work from the home husband. This summer gave me a chance to be a wife again and now love my husband more then the day i married him. I read four novels to keep myself busy. I also made lessons on the computer for my class. I cleaned out my garage.... I went from blood pressure of 0 to head spinning blood boiling from overwhelming first week set up the classroom. My husband harrasses me this week for every cent i spent and also for not leaving school at 2:15. Calling me four times because it was after 2;15... Even my kids are just in my way right now- i still have the weekend to prepare. I feel like I want the summer Ruth back!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 25, 2002

I am exhausted as well. My bedtime hours are as early as my wake up hours. I have to work 6:00 am to 4:00PM. Getting up at 4 am and in bed by 8:30pm. Is it summer yet???
    Ruth I feel like you. Lists and xeroxing,planning, orientation, first day activites and so on. It's like the engizer bunny it just keeps running. All of these meetings and I don't remember a thing. There is a form for everything right down to hair cut notices. I need a a vacation after only the first week back. I can't wait for the Christmas break!!! I hope everyone's year goes quickly by and it calms down a tad. Good luck and have fun. PMTS02@cs.com

11. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 25, 2002

Well, for me this school year has been great so far! I do feel drained by the time I get home each day but nowhere near as bad as last year. I taught Kindergarten last year and even though I really loved it I would stay at school until 6 or 7 and then bring stuff home to do at least 3 nights a week. I don't think I left the school before 5 until after Christmas last year.

Well, this year I am teaching 2nd grade and it just seems like there is less stuff to do each day. I even had an aide last year and I don't this year. I guess the older kids just need less prep time or something. Anyway, we've already finished 2 weeks of school and I've been able to get out of school by 4 on most days so far. I miss Kindergarten, but I can appreciate 2nd grade a little more now.

Nick

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 25, 2002

Teaching is exhausting, isn't it?! Even before school, most people don't realize we are working 12 hour days just to get ready!

However, teachers, PLEASE remember that our work is never done. (I am talking to myself here, too...) We could spend our lives at school and still have more to do. Keep a list of things that need to be done, prioritize, and decide on what time you are going to stop working each day. Don't forget about your family. Try not to take work home. Maybe you can plan to stay later one night per week, or get caught up on things one Saturday each month. If you work, work, work and leave no time for yourself and non-school things, it's inevitable that you will BURN OUT! Then that leaves you finding another job, or not being very happy where you are. Don't forget to take care of yourself :)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 25, 2002

Wiped out

Hi teachers! This is my seventh year teaching for Los Angeles Unified School District. I've had a different grade every year but I think I will now stick with 1st grade. Trying to get your kids quiet? Try these tricks: tell everyone to put their heads down on their desks for 5 min., write names of talkers on board, use a rainstick to get class quiet, use one of those desk bells, send noisiest kid out of classroom.

Pamper yourself when you get home with a hot bath, lights off, use candles and some soothing music. Try playing classical music when kids come in the morning........see if that helps.

Sue

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2002

My goal is to be comfortable with a realistic expectation of what can be achieved in a day. I am so excited about what I teach that I tend to 'over-reach'. Last year I finally told my 8th grade math class (which I teach when my 5th graders are at specials) that I was doing too much teaching and they were not doing enough learning!!! Sometimes I just need to talk a bit less and give them more time to DO. I play music every day while the class is in groups or just working silently. It helps us all.

15. cherryvoliva

cherryvoliva Rookie

Aug 27, 2002

WHEW!
    It makes me tired to just read what all of you have been through (although there are days that I feel exactly the same way!) I am a new teacher, and I feel like my head is constantly spinning and I'm constantly forgetting things! :( Amanda, I really appreciated what you said--I totally agree with the list thing--I don't dare trust my memory (even though I'm only 23) because too many things come up during the day. I make a list and try to get a couple things crossed off each day--it makes me feel like I accomplished something! :) I have post-a-notes everywhere! :) Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone a great year--people that aren't teachers have no idea what it's like! It's nice to know that there are others out there who can relate and empathize with us! Each day is a new start! :)

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 30, 2002

We teachers just need to keep those things to do lists going. The best advice anyone gave me was to have a set time to go home every day & then STICK TO IT! Prioritize & get the important things done. Seek out help; wish I could get someone to clean my house!! Stay organized. Go to bed & get up at the same time each day, it helps me avoid headaches and keeps me rested. Now that I've said this how am I going to do all this, plus my own kids at home, plus a grad class, plus a 3 week workshop at night in OCT.! Our spouses just have to love us!

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I'm doing the same, but I only get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I'm pooped like crazy too. I'm teaching a combo class of 2nd and 3rd graders, and I commute 30 minutes to work, and I just moved into a house. My first year of teaching. I'm going crazy. Thank God it's a 3-day weekend!!!

My name's Aurora, by the way. Good luck to you.

From Stockton, California teaching in Thornton, California