WINTER STORM

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DizneeTeachR, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

Anyone else getting ready for the Winter Storm heading to the Midwest?!?! We are going to go put some bird feeders out today & then sit inside & watch what unfolds...then hopefully be able to play in it!!!

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 8, 2009

We are only supposed to get about 1" of snow and slush here. There was ice on the sidewalk this morning but it is supposed to warm up as the day progresses and the precipitation is supposed to turn to rain. The bird feeders are filled and we have noticed a dramatic increase in traffic on them. The kids and I put apples and corn out for the deer yesterday afternoon and put fresh straw in the dog houses and in the barn for the turkeys. The blade is on the tractor - just in case. I made sure we have ice scrapers in the car and we put a large towel on the windshield today so we don't have to scrape ice before we can go home today. Just north of here, they are supposed to get 4" and have 30-40 mph winds.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

it's supposed to come in mid-afternoon here... i'm hoping it holds off until late tonight 9like after 10)... not because I'm counting on a snow day, but because Ihave to play in a concert tonight which is about 30-45 min. away... it's the second year in a row they're calling for blizzard-like storm the night of our Christmas concert. UGH!!!

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

There is a winter storm coming this way, too. Except that it is basically making a C around my county. Booo. We won't end up getting anything...

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

Yep, we've ensured no snow day tomorrow.. they sent out the calling tree corrections again and had us all update our numbers on the automatic calling system.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I don't know if the storm is supposed to hit Cleveland, but rumor has it that we are supposed to have very strong winds tomorrow (50+mph) and extremely cold temperatures.

8. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

I honestly didn't want a snow day tomorrow, but if my kids are going to behave like they have today, BRING IT ON! Tomorrow also happens to be "jingle bell day!" I'm going to put on "Let it Snow" and have the kids do a snow dance.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

We are suppose to get a mix of snow, freezing rain, sleet tonite. Tomorrow after the "low" moves then the snow begins.They are saying up to a foot of snow & with the winds 2-3 foot drifts... we'll see!!!

Bird feeders are up...corn cobs with shortening & birdseed. I think we hung up about 14 of them!!!

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 8, 2009

Repeat after me - "No snow day, no snow day!" We are supposed to get out on the 18th. DH took a personal day on the 21st. He has been gone so much lately. He is in Austria for two weeks. He was supposed to be home last Saturday. Now he comes home on Saturday and they want him to go to Quebec on Monday until Friday. He was in Quebec in October, but they forgot to ship the equipment he needed so the trip was wasted. I would like to spend a day at home before Christmas Eve and I am sure the kids would like to also. Our first make-up day is December 21st and we have already been told that we will use that day if we miss any days before Christmas break.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

I LOVE storms (psycho, I know :) )

But all we're supposed to get is a wet mess tomorrow.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

It is snowing here right now. Pretty wet flakes thought. There may be a snowman in my future!!!

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

Supposedly we are to get up to 16 inches. It is snowing now, but by midnight it is going to get worse with heavy snow and blowing. We are under a warning til Wed. night.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

Kinder we are under a Warning until Thursday morning!!!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

Oh how I hope I can stay in bed tomorrow morning! :D

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 8, 2009

Total white out here in Nebraska! We have about 8 inches, and it.is.cold. The wind is supposed to pick up any minute now, and temps are plummeting! 20-30 below! They called a 10 start before we even left school yesterday, even though it hadn't even started yet, and at about 7 this morning, we got the call. At this rate, I'd be shocked if we had school tomorrow!

It's funny...a couple weeks ago, they wanted to dismiss school one day this week because we elementary teachers needed to do this workshop thing, and everyone threw a FIT because it was so close to the end of the quarter, yada, yada, yada. So they said fine, we'll do it after the new year. Now we have snow, and we are all praying for another snow day tomorrow! :lol:

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 8, 2009

9-12 inches, started this morning

I hope we DON'T have a snow day, though. Pretty much my entire afternoon tomorrow is prep time. I need that time so badly!!!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

We're only getting sleet here and that hasn't arrived yet.

19. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Dec 8, 2009

This storm did a number on southern California...

for insance...

We had 2.5 inches of rain in San Diego yesterday.. we're lucky if we ever see more then 3/4 of an inch in a day. Top that off with 20-30 mph winds all day and you had for a fun day.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

We've got a chilly wet mess, but I'm pretty far south. A "wintery mix" is forcast for Saturday.

21. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

I LOVE STORMS!!! We went to school this morning and got out at 12:30. Hey...it counted as a day that's all I care about! The bigger schools in my area all cancelled today before anything even started. :lol: :lol: Now they have to make it up! It isn't supposed to get bad until tonight. 8-12 inches, whiteout conditions, blizzard warning...I LOVE IOWA! No school tomorrow for sure!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

I'm jealous, on all counts!

23. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

Why does it always happen on big prep days!!?? They were talking about canceling today and I was praying no because of my preps!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

OK, forgive my ignorance.

But can't you get more prep done at home than in school?

Or is it a case of "I have 3 kids and can't get ANYTHING done at home"???

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

I'm vicariously enjoying your storm as I listen to Josh Groban sing Ave Maria.

Heavenly!!!!

26. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

I concentrate better at school...strange I know!! No kids...I just get lazy when I get home!

I LOVE Josh Groban!!! That song is gorgeous!!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

Now Brian is blasting Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas in Sarajevo-- another huge favorite, though it always makes me so sad for the city that hosted such a wonderful Olympics then erupted into war.

28. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

That song is the ringtone on my phone!!! :p

29. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

When we have snow days teachers still HAVE to go to school or use a sick day if they can't get in. Because we have to be at work, the board can't make us "make up" the day at another point. We are supposed to have snow tonight but I doubt it will be a snow day.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

Same here--our schools are always open, in inclement weather the buses may be cancelled, but walkers still come to school. The staff is to report to their nearest school if they can't make it to their own. Some classes end up with nearly 100% attendance as parents of kids who usually take the bus drop them off at school on their way in to work!

31. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

In high school very few kids show up. Of course, usually just enough kids to make the day unproductive...we are supposed to "run classes" but how you do that when your 2 keeners show up who don't need any extra help.....

Anyway, we haven't had any snow days this year and at the rate we are going I'm not expecting we'll see any at all so for this year it just doesn't appear to be an issue.

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2009

Oy, did I say just sleet? We're under a massive wind advisory with gusts up to 60mph until tomorrow night. Last time we had a wind storm (Hurricane Ike actually hit Ohio), it took out a ton of power lines. Dreading if this happens during the winter.

33. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

Just rain here, along with the wind.

We did have a surprise snow yesterday morning, though, so I can't complain.

I just hope WI stays white until I get home for Christmas...

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

I am pretty confident you will have a white Christmas, amakaye!

35. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

Good :) I'll never understand the people here who, when it's 37 degrees and rainy, say, "Well, at least it isn't snow." Umm...snow is pretty, not miserable to be outside in, and can be shoveled. I'd much rather get snow than a couple rainy days!

36. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 8, 2009

Ohh I am so jealous of all of ya'lls snow. Can you send some over my way?

37. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2009

Diznee over on my side of the state we are going to get a little snow tonight (maybe an inch!) turning to all rain by morning with high winds.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

Here's hoping no one loses their heat!!

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

It's snowing here now...maybe a little sleet. Then they say rain then they say snow & sleet...then back to all snow...We'll see... So far we are in the 3-6 inch range.

40. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 8, 2009

I'm putting an order in for snow for Monday or Tuesday. Those are the days we go all day next week. If we have to do any making up it will be whole days. Wed.-Friday we're on holiday schedule.

41. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2009

AMEN!!!!