Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jsgirl, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Jan 30, 2010

Any ideas for incorporating Winter Olympics into second grade curriculum? We have done some research, found some good websites, etc. but the more ideas I can get, the better the unit will be! (2nd grade - planning to incoroporate in any/ all curricular areas) Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2010

Bumping this thread up--only 6 more days!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 7, 2010

www.olympicschool.ca has a lot of resources... some of the items are specifically Canadian, but there are also wonderful daily journal ideas that you could use, and I spent Friday organizing an Olympic day for the last day of February, most of my resources came from that site as well.

Each class in our school adopted a sport (we got short track speedskating)... If you go to www.vancouver2010.com, there are video podcasts available online (or basically video clips, though you can also download them free on iTunes) on each of the sports.

We'll be making torches in Art, and everyone will celebrate at an opening ceremony at our school. (I am also trying to see if we can get a REAL Vancouver 2010 torch, as there is apparently a parent that was involved in the torch relay and kept her torch!)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

We've all adopted a sport as well; my class has hockey. Lucky you to get short track, dfleming; it's my favourite! Our yearbook will feature profiles of Olympic athletes (we have Hayley Wickenheiser) and a class fun page featuring our sport. The grade 7/8 hall upstairs has been transformed with a huge Olympic board and all of the upstairs classes chose an athlete to cheer on. We're going "whole hog" and are very excited about the next month.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2010

We're starting this week--my kids will be in pairs researching a country.

What do you mean you "adopted" a sport? Thanks!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

Each class will be responsible for putting up a hall display featuring their sport--rules, athletes, competition schedule, results, pictures, etc. In the yearbook, our class "fun page" will feature the sport--ours, hockey, will have the team picture of the Canadian team with their gold medals, with the student faces instead of the players.

Oh, how could I forget; my students are all creating magazines featuring the Winter Olympic sport of their choice.

9. monsieurteacher

Feb 7, 2010

That's essentially what we did too... though teachers were given freedom with what they wanted to do with their sport. I've been showing video clips of short track speedskating events and showing interviews with some of the Olympians. We also put up the "Paint the Town Red" bulletin board outside of the class, and every student has made a little "We're cheering for" card... I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to post.

MrsC, I'd trade you! I'm happy with short-track speedskating, but I was really wishing for hockey!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

We're doing the same "We're cheering for..." cards. I think that we are going to arrange them into a large Canadian flag in the front hall.

My teaching partner chose hockey for me because she, "figured it was a sport I knew something about". She doesn't know me well at all--I'm a huge Olympic geek! (But, I do have my boys ready to cheer for our women's team!)

11. monsieurteacher

Feb 7, 2010

We did ours by random draw... since no one really wanted Nordic Combined :lol:

The grade five French class will become experts on it though!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

One of my grade 7 boys chose Nordic Combined for his magazine. It will make a nice change from the (I think) 15 magazines on snowboarding and/or freestyle skiing.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2010

This seems like a good time to mention the first time I encountered the biathlon. It was the Salt Lake City games--not too long after Sept. 11. I had it on in the background, and happened to look up just as one of the skiers whipped out a gun! I thought for sure he was a terrorist who had somehow infiltrated the games. I remember (what felt like) several moments of panic until he approached the target and the announcers said something...

14. monsieurteacher

Feb 7, 2010

Oh my... funny and yet not at the same time.

15. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 9, 2010

My ideas need tweeking

I am going to do Olympic activities with my 3rd grade class. I started reading The Magic Tree House book The Hour of the Olympics to introduce the topic. I have several "fun" activities- memory games and puzzles for free time, and am wanting to have them do a newsletter on an athlete or sport (haven't decided which). I may have them work in groups to write about a sport- which could include athletes as well. I also just thought about making a large mural of the Olympic rings, but here is where I get stumped. Does anyone think that since each ring represents a continent, it would be too much to somehow incorporate info about the continent directly on the ring. (I can see it in my head, but can't put it into words :eek:) Maybe just have them type, copy, or draw pictures of specific characteristics- famous sites, landmarks, etc of each country and attach to the ring(with the color showing behind). Should I also have them include particular athletes from the continents, or should I save that for the sports reports? I think I have a place to start, but just need to iron out the details. :confused: :thanks:

16. monsieurteacher

Feb 9, 2010

I think "continents" may be a little big to attempt what you are suggesting... For instance, the Americas are considered one continent by the standards of the IOC... but there is a vast difference between Bolivia and Canada.

I really like the idea, but think it might be trying to accomplish too much.

I just finished reading Hour of the Olympics to my students too!

I think we're going to try writing a big book as a class on the Olympics... maybe going through the Olympic schedule day by day.

17. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 9, 2010

Good thought- I was wondering the same thing. Any other ideas? I want to incorporate the rings in some way, instead of just having them as a decorative item; but I suppose I could have them work together to make them with torn paper or something else- then we could talk about team work and team spirit. Might be a good "opening ceremony" of sorts- followed by a writing activity.

18. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 9, 2010

We are doing a Paragraph of the Week where the kids have to select the one sport that they would watch (if limited to one) if they could go to Vancouver. They will research the sport, tell who has a chance for a medal (favored teams/individuals), and why they selected that sport....research begins Friday - if we get this snow cleared away!!!

19. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

For a 'mural' of the 5 rings, I prepared the 5 rings (extra large!!) all separately cut out and wrote at the top of each ring the specific character trait that each ring symbolizes (passion, victory, sportsmanship, work ethic, faith). Then I had students travel around the room in small groups to brainstorm the meaning of each character trait. The students took turns at each of the 5 rings to write a quick note of their own personal meaning for the trait. For example, students brainstormed "shake your opponents hand", "don't be a sore loser", and "congratulate the winners" for the ring symbolizing Sportsmanship. For Work Ethic, they wrote such things as "Try your best", "Never give up", Try and try again", "Train hard", "Eat healthy" and so on.....

I thought this was a great way to discuss the positive character traits of athletes. The kids really got into this activity and I was surprised at how well they could put their thoughts of each trait into their own words. We have displayed it in the hallway and are getting comments about it each day from parents, staff and students.

(*as a side note, we did also discuss how the 5 rings represented the 5 continents and that the every National flag in the world has at least one of the colours of the Olympic flag*)

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010

That's what I was going to suggest, WestCoast

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

We are going to practice -ing words describing each event.
    Hockey: passing, skating, falling
    gymnastics: jumping, spinning, dancing

I am thinking each will be on a torch with the words going down the 'cone'.

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

Our elementary is having an Olympic Day.
    Each class represents a country.
    There will be openning ceremonies, team events, individual events, and closing ceremonies.
    The whole day!
    For medals, each will get a string of mardee gras type beads for each event they participated. Cheap!
    A local florist is donating a flower per child also as they receive their beads.

Each day on the announcements, we are stating a few facts about our class country as well as playing their 'nathional anthem.'

23. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 10, 2010

I LOVE IT! Thanks so much!!! This is why I :love: this forum!

24. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 10, 2010

Is each color associated with a trait, or are those just generally speaking? I haven't been able to find info to this.

25. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 10, 2010

My team teacher and I are going to have our classes do the writing assignment suggested above by WestCoast Teach. I am going to do it exactly as suggested, with students brainstorming about each of the characteristics, and then we'll have them draw out a small construction paper ring (same colors as the rings) - and they will write a paragraph about that particular trait (color). We'll mount their writing on construction paper the same color as the ring, and post it all in the hallway for our Olympic Tribute display.

Two questions:
    Does it matter which color goes with which trait? (I have also searched and cannot find this info.)
    Can anyone suggest a catchy phrase/title/caption?

Thanks!!

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

27. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Feb 10, 2010

"TEAMING" with good sportsmanship
    Reaching for gold with good sportsmanship

28. monsieurteacher

Feb 10, 2010

No it doesn't matter which colour goes with which trait.

My display is "Grade One has caught Olympic Fever"

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2010

I know it doesn't matter, but I would think red would go well with passion, and yellow (gold) with victory...

30. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

multicultrual games

A few years ago I bought the Multicultural Game Book by Lorraine Barbarash. The book is a great little resource. Children like to know that children in other countries play similar tag or hop scotch games and then we learn a few key words in a language. We talk about competition, hard work and what countries have the resources for certain sports- mountains, ice skating areas, etc.

31. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

Good question! :confused: In my information booklet it lists the colours in order as blue, yellow, black, green and red (obviously :p) and then it lists the traits in order of passion, faith, victory, work ethics, and sportsmanship. I just assigned the traits in order to the order of the colours but I am not sure that each one is specifically tied to the traits. Hope this helps?

32. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 13, 2010

colors/rings

I prefer using the rings for their true meaning. The five rings represent the 5 continents and the 5 colors represents the colors from the flags of every country that participates. Every country has at least one of these colors in their flag. I prefer talking and studying different countries, cultures and how everyone can get along.