Winter has arrived, and all I want to do is eat.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Blue, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I have enjoyed the summer of fresh produce and lost a bit of weight by watching what I eat. But, the weather has turned cold, and all I want to do is eat. If it is food, I will eat. I have to turn this off, and now.

Has the change in weather affected any of you?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2009

It's still hot here where I live.

Maybe you can eat stuff like soup. Water-based, non-creamy soup.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

It's not quite winter on Long Island... fall is just settling in.

But I know what you mean about food. I could live on salads all summer. Once we close up the pool and take out the sweaters, all I want is carbs!!!!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 3, 2009

I bet it has to do with the old Neanderthal phenomenon, where they had to eat like crazy in order to survive the winters. I'm sure it's an innate feature of being human.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 3, 2009

Well, we certainly don't have winter here yet (still about 90 degrees) and I've been the same way-just eat and eat and eat. I thought it was maybe I was exercising daily and my body was craving more calories.

Hoot Owl - I like that explanation a lot better than I just have no impulse control when it comes to food! :lol:

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2009

I have also been craving warm comfort foods too. Been making some heavy cheesey crockpot meals. Made a full turkey dinner with pumpkin pie the other day. I love baking and now that there is less to do outdoors, there will be more baked goods around the house for sure.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 3, 2009

Still really hot here and haven't really had that problem yet.
    Maybe you can stock up on all the fall veggies and make some soups and casseroles. I am going to make a veggie lasagna with wheat pasta later to pack away for lunches to cut down on the processed foods.

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 3, 2009

For some reason, I tend to gain weight in the summer and lose in the winter. Not sure why. Maybe because I'm shivering too much to successfully get food in my mouth, who knows.

I also drink hot green tea more in the cold weather and find that it curbs my appetite.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2009

I had to chuckle--I'm sitting here browsing "fall" recipes--squash soup, casseroles, etc. I was just thinking about how much I miss summer fruit. I love fall and all the great comfort foods, but they obviously aren't as friendly to the waistline as salads and fresh veggies!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2009

No, the weather has never affected my food intake. I do love good food no matter what season it is! :)

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

Are there weather changes in southern California?

hehehehe :whistle:

Come spend the winter in Chicago...THEN you'll know a weather change...and WHY we need those winter foods.

(God bless you folks in Minnesota and the Dakotas!)

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2009

McKennaL, the changes aren't drastic from season to season. The worst it gets in the summers is maybe 100 degrees a few days throughout the summer & in the 90s mmany other days & on the other end of the spectrum, it will rain hard all day in the winter. If I lived in a place like Chicago, I may eat a little more! :)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

It's not even "more"... it's just "different."

When it's hot out, I can't stand the thought of anything too heavy. I could eat salads all summer long.

But give me a good blizzard, and I want to hunker down with those carbs-- bake some bread, maybe make some ziti or lasagna.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2009

This may be a good time to revive the healthy crock-pot recipe thread.

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

I would LOVE that!

I have a chest freezer full of Lean Cuisine's but i would prefer those to be for school lunches ONLY and NOT what i come home to.

(For the moment - I'm an empty nester...and it's lonely. I long to cook/bake for my kids again!)

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 3, 2009

I just put a lamb stew in the crock pot. I also dug out some recipes for other winter soups. I don't drink many hot drinks, but think I will concentrate on learning to like coffee and tea.

I would love to revive the crock pot thread. Shall I be the one to do so? Wait, I have to find a new recipe to put on it. Watch for it.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

Not cold yet but a little chill in the air. I make more soup in the cool weather...and I switch from white to red wine.

19. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

Clearly none have you have ever been to Middlesbrough in the north east of England....like bloody Finland for nine bloody months of the bloody year !!!!!:|

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 3, 2009

(Is bloody allowed on here?) ha!

Yes, I most definitely crave heavier foods when the weather changes and more of it! I try to trick myself - carrots and dip help, but what I really crave are dill pickles! So I eat them all the time - oh the bloat!

I also make lots and lots of soups. Tortilla soup is one of our favorites. I also make chicken soup - make your traditional chicken soup, add a cup of white rice to boil to death and thicken the soup, add Rotelle Tomatoes, and maybe Cr. of Mushroom soup, then frozen noodles. Yummy. And quick if you use boneless chicken, thighs or breasts.

I have a great Alaskan stew also. Again traditional stew, but add one lb. of ground beef to it, also the rice to thicken, and barley, corn, green beans, canned tomatoes, any veggie you can think of. The added ground beef really perks it up. And you flour the stew meat and brown it in olive oil first - helps thicken the stew.

21. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

Er..."bloody" had better be bloody allowed, its the way I talk !

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 3, 2009

Ha! Hartlepool, from one limey to another, it was just joke!

23. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

Hee hee :)

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2009

The word willy is allowed here too, Hartlepool, and for the same reason: neither willy nor bloody is a rude word (in the British sense of the phrase) in common use in the US.

The forum software, in hopes of repelling the nastier sorts of people that prowl the Internet, is set up to block a common American name that has come to refer to the same part of the male anatomy that willy does. The consequence is that one sees asterisks for the second word in Spotted Dick (for Americans who don't know, that's a steamed pudding that's full of raisins).

(What was it that George Bernard Shaw said of us? Two peoples separated by the same language?)

25. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

WILLY , WILLY , WILLY ! Gosh that felt a bit naughty !!!!;)

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2009

On a similar topic:

One of the bridesmaids at my wedding was my good friend Teresa. Teresa was from County Monaghan, in Ireland. We used to laugh a lot about the differences in our common language.

As we were walking up the aisle at church, Teresa passed her brother Patsy in the pew. Patsy realized that Teresa was chewing gum in church, and I heard a LOUD stage whisper directing her to "get rid of the F%^&*&^ gum!!!"

Apparently, to Patsy, the gum was worse than dropping the "f-bomb" in church. I almost cried laughing.

27. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

My accent causes a few sniggers in class. I recall answering some kids question about favourite music by saying "Folk music". The kids thought I said f@#+X music......I was shocked , but humoured by it!