winter-dramatic play

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Jan 4, 2011.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

Our January focus is winter... of course, the snow I can ALWAYS count on in January melted right before New Year's, so I'll likely go more "mittens/hats/etc" until we get some on the ground. (It's COLD, just not snowy)

Anyway... I want to spice up dramatic play to go with it. I have a new class starting next week, so I want to have some of the familiar dress-up/kitchen type items... and I have a box full of mittens, scraves, gloves, and earmuffs... but i'm feeling a need to add something *else...* particularly to make it different for my AM kids who tend to get into the same scheme with the food (pile it all into the sink, then get bored). I have place setting and dishes, menus... but I want something "wintery."

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

When my GS was in PS, the teacher made a skating rink. She used a big piece of heavy plastic.

4. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jan 5, 2011

I jsut took my kitchen set out -- kitchen, food, table and chairs. I put a fire place up on the wall with red construction paper. I made logs out of twisted brown paper bags and fire from red, yellow, and orange tissue paper. I'm lucky enough to have a little couch and chair to put there. So far it's led to a game of the 3 little pigs. A few of them drew the wolf or parts of the wolf and taped the drawings on the wall above the fire.

Somehow yesterday the play there led to a game of deep sea diving -- don't ask, cause I totally missed that transition!

Next week I'll probably add some winter dress ups or other props and see what they do with it.

Ice skating rink sounds like lots of fun!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

We have a book "3 Little Fish" and it is the Three Pigs story with 3 fish and a wolf. Here, that would be a natural switch.......I wonder, perhaps someone read it at home?

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jan 5, 2011

Hey Clarnet...yes, our snow melted, but that Friday weather was SO warm and wonderful. As for dramatic play, I have an igloo tent I bought at IKEA that's in our kitchen area along with fishing (ice fishing?). On a table I've set up a cookie sheet with ice, nets from berry baskets, and craft stick hockey sticks. The pucks are buttons.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I'm looking for easy winter ideas for Dramatic Play, too. I am just putting some winter puzzles and books in the area.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

What a great idea Max. My GS has a mini table hockey game. I think I got it at K-Mart or Fred Meyer.