Winter break?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Feb 17, 2016.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2016

The northeast is one of the few remaining areas in the country, I think, that has a February break. My district and neighboring towns have this whole week off, but other area districts have now gone to just Presidents Day and maybe one additional day making a long weekend. Dh and I usually get away this week but we're pretty much home this week DH work schedule is crazy and I'm getting a lot done around home, projects, Drs appointment, etc.

Anyone else off?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2016

Nope - we had the Thursday/Friday off, leading into the three-day weekend. I spent about 90% of it working on math competition work and school prep (or dealing with this darn cold). My poor colleague has had 8 students each of the past two days! My 6 & 3 pales in comparison to that!

Enjoy your week off!

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 17, 2016

I'd like to have a February break... we got Monday off for President's day, but that's it. I'd love to have a Thursday and Friday off for a nice long weekend.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 17, 2016

We're off in Central New York. I think most of the surrounding districts are off too, but I couldn't swear to that. We used to have 2 weeks at Easter way back in the day but maybe a decade or so went to a week now and a week later in the spring. (This week it's not at Easter, I'm guessing because Easter is earlier this year? Not sure.) I've just been hanging out at home, doing a little work but also doing some relaxing, reading, and Netflix/Amazon Prime binging.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 17, 2016

We had Thursday, Friday, and Monday off. It was a really nice break.

About 7-8 years ago, we used to get an entire week off.

otterpop likes this.
  7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Feb 17, 2016

Not right now but our two week spring break begins in 2 weeks!

smalltowngal likes this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 17, 2016

Two weeks! Lucky you!

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2016

(I'm in California), we just had 2 long weekends Sat-Monday, it was nice, and enough for me. We would have a Friday off in March, but the union got 2 days back on the calendar. It's good because we get paid for 2 more days, but most of us would have liked to have that Friday off. And on top of it the other day we got back has to be taken during spring break, so we'll have off Saturday Sunday, then work Monday, then continue with Spring break. Most of us don't like it, but we cant fight for days back on the calendar and take them as days off at the same time. Oh well.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 17, 2016

Nope. We were supposed to have professional development Monday, but we had to make up a snow day. So we had to teach all day, then stay three hours extra for PD. We get to repeat that one more time to finish making up the 6 hour PD day.

11. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

Louisiana gets Mardi Gras but how much you get varies. Where I am gets three days, we had it last week.

NOLATeach likes this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2016

We had Monday off for Family Day, but have to wait until mid-March for our week-long break.

13. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

We get spring break at the end of march this year, Always lines up with Easter for us. Then this year it's 7 long weeks of no breaks till the end of May and school end.

14. NOLATeach

NOLATeach Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

I was just going to post the same thing!

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2016

Haven't had a break since Christmas! Need one! Still two more weeks until Spring Break. Full moon next week, Six weeks testing next week. UGHHHH! Just shoot me now!

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2016

Most of our county has conferences/ winter break... No school for kids Thurs, Fri & Monday. They did it as a money saver since February is usually one of coldest months. They can turn heat way down for the long weekend.

17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2016

We just had two long weekends in a row, and now we have four weeks to go to our spring break. The comes the long haul to Memorial Day... A neighboring district here in Northern CA does have a February break and then a later spring break, but they end up going later into June. I'd rather have the two long weekends and get out earlier!

Linguist92021 likes this.
  18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2016

We have Spring Break in five weeks--which I'm totally excited about (heading to Seattle, Washington for the week). But April and May are loooooooong months because there aren't any breaks (other than Memorial Day in late May). Kids are out on June 2nd this year.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 18, 2016

We were thrilled to get President's Day. Our next holiday is spring break in the middle of March.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2016

No formal winter break here, though last year we had a lot of snow days that felt like a winter break. This year, no snow, no ice. We have two weeks until Spring Break!

21. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Feb 26, 2016

Most schools in Georgia have February/winter break. I am not sure how common this is in other southern states. I am now in California, and while my private school did not have break, most public schools in my area just had ski week off.