Winter Break... a time fast resting, relaxing...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Dec 22, 2015.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2015

And setting up a new classroom. Without pay.

My school is going through renovation. One half of the hall is finished, and they want to start on the other side of the hall, so there are eight of us moving to new classrooms, with more moving at the end of January, and end of March.

It's not the moving that gets me. I understand that. It's not the having to pack up and unpack a room that annoys me (although the head of construction telling teachers "I neither need nor want you help, we will move all of your stuff, if you're that worried about something breaking, keep it in your car" didn't do much to get friends. The part that's getting me is that the building is only going to be open for three days, December 28-30, for 5 hours (frustrating enough, when I live 40 miles from my school...). My administrator was very clear to say that coming in over break was entirely optional for teachers. She was also very clear to say that she will be doing observations the first days back, that room appearance will be factored into those observations, and that she will be coming through each classroom five minutes before kids arrive to take photographs of rooms. So while normally I go to New York with my daughter and significant other, this year I have to stay while they go north. I feel like I can't even enjoy the time off I do have, because I know that after Christmas Day, my break is basically over.

I know it's a little spiteful, but I also resent the fact that most teachers moving are going to have contract time to do it. Both other moving days coincide with teacher workdays (most teachers are moving in January, when we have two teacher workdays). Then on top of everything, we also are going to have to completely pack up everything in June. I'm not moving to my permanent room... just to a room for the rest of the year. I'll move into a permanent room in the fall.

Oh well. Vent over.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2015

I WOULD NOT BE DOING THIS ON BREAK Period.

yellowdaisies, MrsC and mollydoll like this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 22, 2015

Can you ask for a comp personal day?

MrsC likes this.
  5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 22, 2015

I can. I'd get laughed at and told absolutely not, but I could always ask.

One of my teammates asked... we were told that coming in is optional, so if we choose to come in, that's us willingly giving up our own time.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2015

This is ridiculous. I feel indignant on your behalf.

mollydoll likes this.
  7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2015

I would write an email saying that I'm looking forward to setting up my new space, but as I have plans to be out of town over break, I will arrange to do the setup on <insert day/time after break>. I would, under no circumstances, go in over break.

If anybody were ridiculous enough to write you up for such a thing, I'd file a letter explaining circumstances. This scenario is completely unsupportable.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 23, 2015

I agree, go have fun over winter break---either New York or Florida, some where, any where other than there. There will be there. :)

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2015

I'd love to say screw it I'm not doing it... But I'm in a non-Union state, and this is my evaluation year. One of my colleagues was encouraged to reschedule a family vacation to Europe.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 23, 2015

Your principal is being extremely mean-spirited in the attitude towards observations and photographs immediately upon return from break.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 23, 2015

Are you freaking kidding me? It sounds like a cruel joke.

yellowdaisies and MrsC like this.
  12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 23, 2015

I'm so sorry you have "that" principal. I had one of her clones. We had several "optional" assignments that would be reflected on our evaluations so they were never optional.

Power hungry administrators are always a pain. The good thing is they don't seem to last long. I'll cross my fingers that yours leaves soon!

otterpop likes this.
  13. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Dec 23, 2015

Oh yuck. I would not be going in. That's ridiculous and your principal sounds awful.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2015

Are you in a non-union state? In my district, none of the things that were asked of you would ever be considered.

Honestly, I was reading this thread thinking, "You've gotta be kidding me!"

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2015

I guess it may be time for you to make your stand.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2015

This sounds wrong on so many levels. Basing part of your evaluation on work you put in over the break is just unfair. I've moved and set up a classroom on a tight schedule, and I wasn't paid for my own time, but my principal was right beside us, carrying and unpacking boxes!

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 23, 2015

This is very unfair. You P is asking you do to unpaid work, masking it as optional, but in fact your job is riding on it.
    In June I had to completely break down and pack up my classroom, then my new room wasn't ready until October, so I had to temporarily move into the computer lab. My P was ok, in fact she suggested to have student help me break down and set up the classroom, and she was ok with them losing one instructional day. When I set up the computer lab she was right there with me moving furniture and boxes and getting the IT guy in to make sure all my technical gadgets worked.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 29, 2015

Well... my new room is set up. I'm frustrated about the situation... but now I'm back to my regularly scheduled break, and I at least get to know that my students will have an uninterrupted experience. I will be able to get right to work on Monday.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2015

If its what brings you peace, so be it.....my districts union would highly discourage this and would be right in the supes office regarding our contacted work time regarding this issue.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 29, 2015

The joys of being in a non-union state. My rights are basically whatever the district is magnanimous enough to grant us, and district regulations technically give principals the right to require teachers to work at any time, regardless of the day.

mollydoll and teacherintexas like this.
  21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 29, 2015

I know it was frustrating, but I'm glad it's done and you get to enjoy the rest of your break.

teacherintexas likes this.