Wind Lesson ideas?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by disneyjen0504, Mar 18, 2007.

1. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Hi! We are currently on the weather unit and I would like to do something fun for the lessons on wind. So far, I do plan to do a craft-probably a wind sock. I also have sentence strips for the Wind Blew.
    Any ideas for follow up activities to reading to the class stories such as The Wind Blew, Like a Windy Day, or even Millicent and the Wind? Any suggestions are appreciated!

3. QuigleK

QuigleK Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

We do an experiment called "Does it blow" . We take common objects like paper, pencil, books, crayons, ect, and predict if we can use the "wind" from a hair dryer to make it blow. Then the kids take turns trying to blow the objects. We record on a graph if they blew or not. We try to determine what makes an object blow or not blow and come to the conclusion that the heavier something is the harder it is to blow. It's really alot of fun! Hope this helps.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2007

Make kites and have them fly it outisde. We made the kites on a whim, wasn't even planning on it and they came out really cute. Just took some construction paper, drew a large diamond and then decorated the inside. THen I punched a hole on the bottom and tied a string to it. They went out with their kites during recess and ran around. They had a blast. Some did rbeak their kite though. Not sure how, so I just repunched it and put a new string in.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 18, 2007

I Face The Wind By Vicki Cobb is a great wind book for younger kids. It has a few experiments you can do included in the book too :)

7. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Mar 20, 2007

I like QuigleK's idea!!!

Wind is one of our units in Open Court. Here are some things I did:

Give each child a grocery bag. Have them go outside to "catch" the wind (if it's not windy, have them run and catch the wind). Remind them to hold the bags really tight! You can ask them to predict what will happen when they release the wind out of their bags. We opened our bags inside the classroom. My class predicted that we would start a tornado! Of course, nothing happned. It was fun just the same!

I borrowed ribbon sticks from another teacher. You can also do this with streamer from a party supply store. We went outside to see if the wind was blowing. We had to stand really still. The students got really good at looking for signs of wind. They watched the vertical blinds in the cafeteria, the American flag in the front of our school, our hair blowing in the wind.

We made pinwheels that I bought from Oriental Trading. There were 14 pinwheels per package. We had a parade while we walked to recess. Then, we stood really still to see if the wind would spin them (they didn't really spin very well, because they were handcrafted heavy cardboard). Afterwards, I hung them upside-down from the ceiling as decorations.

It was raining the day we were going to fly a kite :( I couldn't fit in in my schedule. I also brought in my windchimes from home, but I did not have a place to hang them outside. We played with them indoors (I have bamboo and metal ones).

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 20, 2007

We did this for air transportation, but it would fit well with this, too. We predicted whether mini koosh balls and cotton balls would roll farther when we blew them with or without a straw. My kids LOVED it :)

9. AllysonKinder

AllysonKinder Rookie

Mar 20, 2007

If you can connect it to tornados, they haev those tornado tubes that will make a swirling cloud n a 2 liter soda bottle.