Wilson Training?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Aug 3, 2012.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 3, 2012

Has anyone ever been trained in Wilson before? I was just registered for a week long training.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

No, but can you tell me what you learn? :) I just found the curricular materials in my new sped classroom unopened. It looks/sounds useful, but there's quite a bit to dig through. :unsure:

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2012

It's based on Orton Gillingham, and it's apparently good stuff. Hope you enjoy your training. I am an Orton Gillingham tutor and I use it in my classroom. It's made a huge difference in my teaching!!

ETS: It's multisensory language training. :)

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 4, 2012

I had an overview training - 2 days not 1 week. 2 days was not sufficient.

I'm excited for you.

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 4, 2012

Thanks for your replies. I'm also being trained in Fountas & Pinnel's LLI program.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

Which Wilson program are you getting trained in. The Wilson Reading Program is really for students 4th grade and up. So if you are working with K-2, it won't be as helpful as some of the other programs.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2012

There's plenty in Wilson for K-2, the principles can be applied across the board. They have different materials for the younger ones, called "Fundations" but there's a lot of similarity in the program itself as far as I can tell. I never did their official training but I was informally taught by someone who did, and then if you read through the teacher manual it's not that hard to fill in the gaps yourself once you've seen once or twice to get an idea of how a lesson looks. I think it's a great program for many people. I only used it religiously with one student but he made a lot of progress in a short time. Unfortunately his family took off somewhere after a few months and I never got to see it through :(

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

I'd be using Wilson for 3rd-5th grade & the F & P for K-2. We have a lot of old Wilson materials, but no one is currently trained in it.

10. peekawho

peekawho New Member

Aug 30, 2012

I am an Augustine Literacy Project tutor. We have been trained in the Orton-Gillingham approach and use the Wilson Reading method.

This is my first year tutoring a 3rd grade child, and I'm thrilled with the progress she is making. As was mentioned, this is a multisensory approach, and each step builds carefully on previously taught ideas until fluency and comfort with the material is reached.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 30, 2012

I loved the training! It looks like I'll be using it at the upper elementary level this year.