Wilson Reading System Certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Sep 2, 2016.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2016

Has anyone gone through the Level I certification program? Over the summer, I made grand plans to do the program this school year. I had intended to do it this year because a) it would earn me enough credit hours to move up a lane next school year, b) I'm looking at starting a side business doing tutoring after-school/weekends/summers for students with dyslexia or other reading disabilities with the possibility of turning it into a full-time gig a long time down the road, should I ever feel the need to leave teaching, c) my state just passed a new dyslexia law, and this seems like a good certification to have on my resume, and d) I just really want to do it because I'm passionate about it!

Anyway, I also just started a new teaching job this year, and it's a lot of work compared to my job last year. As much as I want to do it, I'm not sure that I can handle the time commitment well enough to do a good job at both tutoring and being a teacher. So, I was wondering if anyone has gone through the program... If so, can you tell me about the time commitment? In addition to the actual tutoring sessions, there's also an online class component.

I have already found a practicum student whose mother is so excited for me to start with her son... If I decide that I can't handle the time commitment right now, I'm not sure how to break the news to her. Because I'm in the process of getting certified and she's helping me out by agreeing to work through the certification program with me, I've offered to provide the tutoring to her son for free (or very inexpensively). If I don't go through with it, she won't be able to afford to hire anyone else. Not sure what to do... Advice?

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

I work closely with someone who just finished level 1 and is now working on level 2. I think it is a big time commitment. She worked with her student after school, did Skype observations, drove quite a distance for face to face meetings. She definitely thinks it's worth it but only you can decide what is right for you. There is a requirement to move the practicum student a certain number of steps and a required number of lessons. You also have to have psych test scores for the practicum student for approval. Sorry if this is a bit disjointed. Off the top of my head and on my phone. I wanted to do it myself, but the expense and commitment put me off...I decided to get my doctorate instead :rolleyes:

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2016

Thanks, karebear. The student I'm intending to work with has recently had testing completed, and he definitely meets the profile. I've already done all of the research looking into the program. I've been on the phone with Wilson, and I have the paperwork filled out. I was just waiting on the mother of the student to get back to me with the results of the testing that she had done over the summer. She received it Thursday. My only hesitation is that I won't be able to handle the workload, along with my new teaching job. Obviously, any teaching position can be a lot of work, but this is my first year at this school, and it's a good school. So, I want to do a good job. Any idea how many hours per week your colleague put into this during level 1? I can't find any solid information on this anywhere online. I'm particularly wondering about the coursework component. I understand that I'll have to lesson plan and meet with the student a few times per week, but I'm wondering how much work I should expect with the online courses that are required? That's the part that I'm just not sure about right now.

I should add that I've thought about another degree, but that just doesn't fit with my long-term plans at the moment. Maybe in the future... Thanks again.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

I will ask her tomorrow, if you have time to wait. I know she met with her student for 1 hour sessions, and I think 2x a week. I really have no idea about the coursework part.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2016

That would be great! I do have at least a few days to wait. Thank you! I am also planning on the tutoring being twice per week for 60-90 minute sessions, assuming I go through with it. I am estimating approximately 20-30 min of lesson planning per session. All of that, in itself, I think I could handle. The coursework is really that unknown that's concerning me. I would greatly appreciate you asking her about that for me. Thanks again!

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 7, 2016

Any chance you were able to ask your colleague about this, karebear? The mother of the student is asking me about getting started... I don't want to string her along, but I'm still just so unsure about this! Thanks!