Wilson Language (Training, Fundations, ANYTHING)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, Dec 16, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 16, 2011

is anyone familiar with the Wilson method?

Phonics, Fluency, Comprehension, Etc.

Is there anything you can tell me about it?

Reviews? Training? School Curriculum?

I was suggested to be trained in it - and I am looking for any information anyone could give me...THANKS!

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 16, 2011

One of the better reading interventions programs out there, especially for kids who struggle with basic reading skills in the phonics area. A common complaint is that the reading material is boring, and so it loses kids. However, many respond to that complaint by using other interventions/curricula when focusing on comprehension, etc., though it can be tricky because of how "leveled" everything is.

Here's a review from FCRR:

http://www.fcrr.org/fcrrreports/pdf/wilson.pdf

There are some other programs that share similar structural components, such as SPIRE, which some find to be more helpful for various reasons. Here's a link to the FCRR SPIRE review:

http://www.fcrr.org/fcrrreports/PDF/SoundsSensibleSPIRE.pdf

I would also check out other FCRR reviews, and as well as reviews from the What Works Clearinghouse, as well as a few RtI support websites out there that list interventions. It may take you a day or two to get through the reviews, but it will really be worth it to know what's good for what.

One other thing to keep in mind is that many of the programs - such as Wilson - are packages of interventions put together by companies or researchers based on individually researched intervention components. Many programs share similar components, so there is considerable overlap between many of the intervention packages, especially ones based in the OG methodology, though important differences as well. What might be helpful on this forum would be to take any recommendations, continue to research different programs, narrow your list down to 3 or 4, then come back and post for thoughts/experiences on those specific programs.

Good luck, and more training is a good thing!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2011

It works well for the truly dyslexic student, but progress is slow. You really need to implement this program as it is designed for the success to show, but it might take half a year before you really see the program helping.

The program is very systematic and follows a set routine. It's very important to try to follow the program as much as possible.

5. teacher4589

teacher4589 New Member

Oct 10, 2012

New to Fundations

I am a 1st grade teacher and my school just adopted the Fundations program this year. This program is a lot different then what we were doing. At first I was a little hesitant to use it but now that we are actually working it with the kids it has been great. There is some great info on the web to help you get started. I also found someone on TeacherPayTeachers that has some great resources for Fundations and she also anwsered questions I had. her store name is Mrs. G's School Stuff.

Goodluck with the program! Give it a shot and I think you will like it!

6. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Oct 11, 2012

I think Wilson is great for younger kids, especially if you have the committment to work with the kids for several years as it's a 4 year program.

If you work with older kids or need to progress faster, there is the Wilson Just Words program which we're implementing at my high school this year. So many of our kids lack basican phonics and decoding skills so I'm excited to start using it.

I definitely recommend going to the training. It's really the only was to really get a good handle on the program.