Will your district/area be hiring new teachers for 2015/16?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jan 3, 2015.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

How's it looking for next year?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

So far I know of one retiree...that vacancy will be absorbed by a teacher in another grade level as the number of sections in another grade level needs to be downsized for next year due to lower student numbers. So basiically the retirement saves a non tenured teacher's job who could be cut due to a decrease in student numbers.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

Yes, absolutely. They'll likely be unable to fill as many spots as they are hiring for.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2015

My school just posted a job this week! I don't think anyone is retiring anytime soon but people leave for different reasons.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

My district always does some hiring. Furlough days were in effect a few years ago, and because they reduce your annual pay, they also reduce your retirement base pay if you retire within three years. I think people delayed retirement until those furlough years no longer counted in establishing their retirement pay. This is my long way of saying that we may see an increase in retirements this year, so perhaps even more hiring than usual. Additionally, enrollment in credential programs is supposedly way down, so it could actually be tough to fill openings in CA? We'll see.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

Baltimore City always needs teachers, every year, in the middle of the year, whenever. It's a large district, so we always need people but we need them to stay.

My school has many subs teaching key positions at this point of the year because we can't find teachers. Many of these people are not certified and they are not former teachers and thus, many of them are not actually teaching. We need teachers!!!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

There will likely be some hiring to permanent contract positions--mostly French and kindergarten, I suspect. Those hired will almost certainly be currently subbing in long term sub positions. There may be new hires to the sub list; there are usually a couple of rounds of hiring each year.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

I'm sure. We are always looking for someone, at some school.

I expect we'll have three openings in my one department at my one school next year. High school science always sees a huge turnover. Too many other jobs out there needing those skills to consider sticking with low pay and crappy conditions.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2015

I'm hoping a few are nonrenewed so I hope we have a need to hire some new people. This past year we hired every one who applied and took anyone with a pulse.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2015

There are always some openings, but I'm not sure how many. We have a 5th grade teacher retiring. Our numbers are very high so I think they'll definitely have to hire to fill the position. The majority of teachers at my school have too much experience in to go elsewhere so that will likely be the only opening at my school.

12. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Jan 3, 2015

There are 143 available teaching positions in my county at the moment. I think it's safe to say there will be more than that prior to the 2015-16 school year.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 3, 2015

We're a pretty big district so there is always hiring going on.

14. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jan 3, 2015

Yep, there are a few that aren't filled now.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2015

My district hires hundreds of teachers every year, all year round. Don't expect that to change any time soon.

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 3, 2015

My district is facing a deficit for the new school year, and we've already been notified of a possible RIF. Unless a lot of people voluntarily leave or retire, there will be quite a few newbies without positions next year. I like to think that, by me moving on to a new city and a new job, I'm helping to save someone else's job!

17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

It really is crazy how much this varies by region!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

There are currently several openings in my school, mostly for special education, where we tend to experience our largest growth mid-year. Most likely, there will be some hiring over the summer, with our permanent substitutes getting first dibs.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

Yes, we'll be hiring.

If you're looking to relocate, send me a PM and I'll send you the salary schedule (extremely competitive and comparable with some of the best paying districts in Nor & So Cal).

People (teachers and administrators) generally stay in our district until retirement.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

My district is anticipating over 2,500 openings next year.

21. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2015

This is good news. I have a job. Just wondering if there will be some movement. Thanks all.

22. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

I've heard they will be hiring. Don't know how many openings we will have. I know this year they hired A LOT. I'm a first year teacher and hoping I stay put at the same school and grade level.

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2015

At my school we will have at least one opening as a kinder teacher is retiriing. As far as our district goes we still have openings for this year so yes we will be hiriring next year.

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

My district always ends up hiring hundreds (if not thousands) of teachers.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 3, 2015

We need people now! We have hundreds of vacancies.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2015

We have several laid off, so my district won't hire. Others may, but competition is fierce.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 3, 2015

Yes. We have open positions now.

28. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jan 3, 2015

It would be safe to say yes. We still have a couple of position that are unfilled.

29. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jan 4, 2015

I'll be moving to NV at the end of the month and there is a huge teacher shortage. Though I am very hopeful of a job (because there are about 600 open jobs) I'm keep thinking I won't find one. I am waiting for my NV license because I'm from AR, so it will take a few more months. But other than that, I am positive Clark County school district will be hiring.

Though I wonder sometimes. They are about 2 months behind on teacher application processing. But you would think that they would hurry so they can get more teachers in the field. But I think they are backed up because of background checks. And of course you don't want to hire someone who doesn't have a cleared background check.

But the wait and unknown are killing me!!!

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 4, 2015

There usually aren't a lot of openings in Ohio, but with changes to the retirement system, more people will be leaving this year than usual to get a better deal.
    My district has at least 15 people who are known to be leaving.

31. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 4, 2015

Absolutely, my district is one of the few that manages to hire enough teachers to fill spots, but openings start occurring by October. My school needs a middle school ELA and math teacher. Testing is killing us, and this year I'm working with 2 TFA and im not sure one will be back after this break.

32. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jan 4, 2015

Same here.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 4, 2015

Mid-year vacancies would make me nervous! Are these hard-to-fill positions like math/science? Or are people quitting before the school year is over?

Vacancies after the 2nd week of school are unheard of in my area!

34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2015

In the past couple of decades I have seen a tremendous increse in the number of teachers quitting mid year. Exit interviews used to show spousal transfers as the major reason. Now the reasons are more related to job pressures.

35. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 4, 2015

The P is retiring this year. The AP may take his place or she may move into another P position at an elementary school. The superintendent is also retiring and someone else in Central Office as well. Other teachers may leave as well. I'm not going anywhere unless they don't want me back and who knows what will happen with admin changes. ;)

36. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2015

We tend to have openings mid-year because our numbers get so high that we need to open additional sections of grade levels. We've done that twice in the two years that I've been at my school. This year we also had a teacher that decided she didn't want to come back after maternity leave, so we had a new position to start in January. We told my P that she should put a note about why the position was open in the posting, because if we saw an opening in January we would assume that things were so bad at the school that the teacher decided she couldn't come back after Christmas break!

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 4, 2015

Not really... there are a few exceptions in the case of specialty positions, but overall, there are no openings for new teachers, nor have their been in 6 or 7 years.

38. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 5, 2015

Probably not.
    It all depends upon the state budget money we get for next year.
    But the pattern has been a reduction of positions by attrition.

:whistle:

39. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jan 5, 2015

None. I'm hoping I get to keep my job.

40. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 5, 2015

Nothing that I've heard of so far, but it's way too early to say. Most teachers have until the end of May to resign for next year.

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 5, 2015

As of right now, no, my school will not be hiring. One teacher is retiring, but we'll have an extra teacher, due to numbers. I'm sure someone will end up leaving or transferring, though.