Will you cut your personal spending this year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

Every time I go to the grocery store, I feel sick at how high my bill gets when I am doing my best to cut down. With so many prices going up, I feel that I am going to have to cut my spending this year on classroom extras.

There are several projects that I do throughout the year to supplement the curriculum that require me to purchase things out of my own pocket. Some of these projects are going to have to go by the wayside. I also buy fruit snacks and small food snacks to use as classroom prizes/treats for various activities, but I'm cutting these out, too.

Is anyone else feeling the cash crunch and planning to scale down personal spending on their class this year??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I generally don't spend much on my class...my school supplied budget covers most of what we need and my class supply list for students ensures they each have what their own personal supplies. We have supportive parents and great room 'moms' who are good about sending in 'extras' as needed.

4. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Jul 30, 2012

I tend to go to the store and if I see something that my class could use or need I would buy it (especially during the summer). However, this year I can't do that. I had a baby in January and then just got a new car, so I am definitely sticking to a planned budget. Once school starts I will use my classroom funds and any money we get from our Faculty Senate checks.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I drastically cut spending last year and will be keeping it low this year. I really learned to plan in advance and have the school pay for larger projects as well as asking parents to send in the supplies or money to cover the supplies.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

I have been teaching the same thing for 6 years now, and I have such a stash of folders, notebooks, and pencils from previous years, I should be pretty good. I try to buy at least one new novel set each year. And, because I make most things with my Cricut, I go through card stock like nobody's business. Luckily I work at a craft store :lol:

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

I always tell myself that I am going to, but it only seems to get worse! This time of the year, I spend money on getting my room ready (organization, decorative stuff, etc.). During the school year, I spend money on curriculum materials.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

This is the first year I'm really bypassing picking things up for the class because I'm really trying to cut back as well. I bought some borders at the beginning of the summer but I've actually been avoiding places like Wal-Mart and Target because I know I'll find something cute.

9. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I've already spent more than I wanted to this summer but I'm going to try and plan ahead more so that I can have parents help me out with science supplies instead of running out and getting them myself.

Being in third grade will help, too. There were a lot of times in first grade that I ended up buying things myself because I felt like I was already asking so much for event-related things. Since there's not a lot of events in third, it'll be easier for me to ask for help with curriculum supplies. I'm lucky because I work in a school with high parental involvement.

10. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 30, 2012

Since this is only my second year in preschool, I have bought things and plan to buy a few more. I am trying to spread some of it out to when we need it and taking advantage of sales for things I want at the beginning of the year. I get reimbursed for some of my expenses. I also plan to ask parents to send some things this year. I didn't do that last year.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

I haven't spent as much this year or last as I did in years past. It was more that I had already spent so much that I didn't need very many things anymore and the fact that I now have my own kids to buy things more. I have stopped buying as many things through the school year as I used to though.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

I rabidly keep an eye out for super sales for classroom extras and prizes. I look for clearances and dollar deals at WalMart and Target.

I changed the way I gave prizes a few months into the year. The kids were not happy that big prizes were monthly rather than weekly. I explained that since gas and my bills went up I have to spend money very carefully and that I couldn't afford to give a prize every week. (I had thousands of stickers so I still gave daily stickers before they left). They were okay with it. I think they understood because their families were facing the same thing.

13. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I've said that I'm done spending several times already. I put in a lot of money this year, but I also moved classrooms and that added a bit to the expense. Hopefully, next year I won't have to spend as much. I ended up cutting back in other areas this month because of what I had spent for my classroom.

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

I'm making one of those pull/tab type of posters with my computer for parents to choose and take a tab of an item either I need for my classroom or we need for the whole grade level. It'll hopefully be another great "borrowed" idea because I've already spent enough for next year for getting my classroom ready--and I did a LOT of repurposing.

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 30, 2012

I wish, but as a first year teacher I really couldn't. I got a lot (most of what I needed/wanted) through my school. The rest, like classroom library books, book bins, and some decorations, I bought & can take with me if I ever move schools, and all are things I will have for a while.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I will be cutting my spending. I normally spend about 20-40 bucks on random stuff for the classroom. I tend to stock up on items from the penny sales and hit up the dollar store for crafty things and games. This year I don't plan to spend more than like 5 bucks, and that's only if I discover that I'm short on some essential item. There are a few reasons for my spending cutbacks: changes to the penny sales (I just can't afford to pay full price upfront and then get rebates later), lack of storage space in my classroom (I'm moving to a different, smaller room this coming year), and a lack of motivation on my part. I'm sort of sick of funding my students when their own families won't. I feel like if I keep spending money on them, it's just perpetuating the cycle and forcing teachers to keep spending their own pocket money on things that should be supplied elsewhere.