Will this prevent me from getting a job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher84, Apr 28, 2012.

1. teacher84

teacher84 New Member

Apr 28, 2012

I've always had great evaluations and references until this year. I was not a good fit at my new school, and although I did my best I could do nothing right. On my two evaluations, I am checked as 'satisfactory' and 'very good' but the principal wrote in practically no compliments or feedback whatsoever. I had no idea how the principal really felt towards me until I asked for a letter of recommendation. What I got was a letter that stated that I worked there, was always on time, but nothing about how I performed as a teacher. I feel that I can't use this principal as a reference because now I have no idea what they might say. I can't really go into detail because I don't want to be identified just in case, but this has been an awful and unfair year and I can't believe this might tarnish my otherwise excellent record.

How can I get around this? I have to list my employment there, but I don't want to put this principal as a reference. I have some letters from other teachers there, but that's it. I have great letters from previous principals and colleagues, and copies of all previous evaluations and observations that are a stark contrast to the ones I got here. What should I do? Will I be asked why my most current principal isn't listed as a reference? Will they call anyway? Will anyone even give me a chance for an interview? I just can't believe how this has happened.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2012

How are your previous evaluations so different than the ones this year being that you didn't have any negative marks at your current school? Was it just the lack of compliments/comments/notes?

What else did the letter say besides you worked there and arrived on time?

And most importantly, why were you not a good fit? What went wrong?

As to the impact this will have, it's hard to say. I know NUMEROUS HORRIBLE teachers get job after job. I read here how so many struggle to obtain a position and it makes me furious to know these people I wouldn't trust to dogsit for me (and I'm dead serious) keep getting teaching jobs. Ugh. So, it's just hard to say... :(

4. teacher84

teacher84 New Member

Apr 28, 2012

Yes, it was the lack of compliments and comments. Plus, the principal said I need to be more open to suggestions from peers, which I found strange because I always asked for help and suggestions since they weren't willing to work as a team. Honestly, this was a tiny school and very cliquish. The letter also basically said that I talked about how I did things during my employment at other out of state schools. I was surprised, because during the interview I was asked what I had to bring to the school and what other teachers could learn from me.

I was told "It's not wise to disagree with tenured teachers" so I know it's because I was disliked by his pets. How can you pick and choose what you want to teach? You're supposed to follow the standards, whether you like them or not! Or decide not to teach something because you 'aren't good at it' and you 'know the next teacher will catch them up'?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2012

I think that you can leave your current P off your reference list, but be ready for schools to contact at least to verify employment. I would also type up something about what happened at your old school so that you are ready to answer the question about why you left and why you aren't using your current P as a reference.

I didn't use my previous P as a reference, instead I used an assistant superintendent and assistant principal. My previous P was literally crazy.

6. teacher84

teacher84 New Member

Apr 28, 2012

I can honestly say the commute is the reason I resigned. I am finishing out the year, but told them I was resigning instead of coming back next year.

7. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 28, 2012

Perhaps he's (she's?) lazy; perhaps he's stupid. Many are both. I wouldn't use this person as a reference. I don't think either that you need a letter from your P. Unfortunately, I suspect they can quite easily get his or her name and call him (or..etc.), and mightwell do so. If they get to that point, though, you will already have gained at least a few supporters on the hiring committee, to balance out whatever the P might say. Ditto for any letters you get from DH, colleagues, Speddites, students, etc. Just make a decision, in any case, and move forward. Good luck!

8. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 28, 2012

teacher84, I'm in a similar situation to you where I wasn't a good fit at my new school. It felt like I could do nothing right. Fortunately, my P was more supportive than yours. The good news is that you have a good evaluation on paper at least. Is there an administrator that you can put down as a reference instead of the Principal?

9. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 29, 2012

The reality is perspective employers will call and ask several questions, such as would you be hireable, how was your classroom management, were you able to demonstrate professional growth and development....

Keeping the copy of all those evaluations as part of your portfolio for professional development might be a big help.