Will not subbing this year hurt my chances of a job next year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Exclaimation Po, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 23, 2009

Ok. So, I was non re-elected. I'm getting unemployment. If I don't sub at all this school year, will it be harder for me to get a job next fall?

Knowing that I'm getting a check every two weeks is more reassuring than hoping to get a sub job every school day. It also pays better. I've made the decision to just look for a job and take UI. I want to know that I've made the right choice.

Any thoughts?

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 23, 2009

Considering many districts and/or principals don't look at subbing as "real" experience, I would say that it will not hurt you. I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring so I know what i am doing tomorrow. I sure wish I knew I was getting paid. I say take the unemployment.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 23, 2009

I see you're in S. CA. I know for a FACT that you can sub AND still get UI checks. As long as you're not subbing 40 hrs/ wk or anything, which is rare w/ substitute work, then you can do BOTH.

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 23, 2009

Ms. I You're absoutely sure?? 100% ppositive???

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

I can't imagine it would hurt.

Administrators know the numbers. They know that a LOT of excellent teachers aren't teaching this year, simply because there wasn't money to pay them.

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

Alice That's my general thought. My husband is nervous. However, I won't have any current letters of recommendation. That's the main draw back.

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

I'm sorry, but I COMPLETELY disagree with the comment regarding subbing. It most certainly is looked at as "real' experience.

If you can receive unemployment AND sub I would definitely suggest you do it.

I received a permanent sub position last year after subbing in a district for less than a month. I'm now in the same district where I will finish my first LTS in Nov. and I'm already scheduled to start ANOTHER LTS postion immediately after, until Christmas break. I've been asked to come back next year if a position isn't open for me. I've been told if a position opens it will be offered to me.

This is simply from subbing. Where I'm from, they also consider 120 days of subbing in a year as a full year of experience. This will increase my starting salary. I also have to add that it is very difficult to get a sub job in my area. I know it's not the best scenario, but I definitely think it is worth it.

Good Luck!!!

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 24, 2009

I got a job straight out of college and have never subbed once. It all depends on where you are. Around here, it's not really a way to get your foot in the door, and isn't necessary to get a job, because there are plenty of teaching jobs to go around (we have three new teachers at our school this week!) Find out what the climate is like where you are!

10. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Sep 24, 2009

Do what feels right for you. Every district is different. One idea is to use the year to maybe get a little more schooling in a specialty area. There are tons of online classes. Then, you add a little more to your resume, and sometimes this gets your foot in the door for a new job.

11. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

In California you can work part time and still receive unemployment. They will deduct some of your unemployment. I believe it is under 30 hours or something.

I was non-renewed though I'm not on unemployment because of extra income I make for taking care of my son.

I have not subbed but I am adding another sped credential.

I have to do 10 weeks of student teaching starting Monday. I am feeling awkward about adding a credential after having my own classroom and having to student teach again.
    I thought it will give me a nice back story

In december I'll have my other credential. I thought I would sub until the end of the year and start looking for a job.

I'm also considering relocating to Arizona if I can't find a job!

I would sub day to day or maybe take a week assignment here and there. It will give you the opportunity to maybe get another reference.

Stephanie

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 24, 2009

In regards to the unemployment:

If you work during the week, you have to report it on your form. They subtract ALL your earnings from the amount they would have paid you.

For example, I got $450 a week when I was on unemployment (before taxes). If I subbed and made $90, they would subtract $90 from my check and send me $360 instead. This happened a couple of times before I realized it. I seriously thought about applying at a book store or taking an aide job-just SOMETHING to get out of the house, but that would have eaten up ALL my unemployment money. It doesn't take long for it to add up to $450. So I stayed home and started a business. Since the money that was coming in was not income-I was reinvesting, it wasn't considered income so I didn't have to report it.

It's too bad that the system is set up like this. It discourages people from taking lower paying jobs, because you can make just as much sitting at home and watching tv.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 24, 2009

Yes, because it's happening to me now. Last school year, I subbed about 2, mostly 3 days a week which is about 14-20 hrs a week & I get around $400 or so every 2 weeks in UI checks. When I didn't sub at all, I got a $950 check for 2 wks. This school year, it looks like I'll be subbing only 1 day a week for sure on a regular basis. I'm at the point now where it's time for needing my 1st extension, so I'm waiting to get something from EDD right now as we speak (well, type!)

You do have to write on their form to them what place(s) & the addresses of where you've looked for work, which I assume they verify. They seem to also accept if you register for job fairs, it's not always about physically walking into a place & handing them your resume.

BTW, I am a full-time student too, & they ask if you're in any kind of schooling/training, but you can still collect UI even if just subbing.

True, but that's how the ball bounces.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

ExPo~If you can sub and still collect unemployment, I might do that because it will get you the opportunity to network with teachers and principals and allow for current letters of rec.; however, I would be careful in how many hours you work so you aren't deducted any money from unemployment. Of course, this would make it more difficult to take any long term assignments that might come your way.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 24, 2009

In CA, any hours you work are deducted. I worked a 4 hour birthday party as a Princess Performer, and was deducted.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

Then I would say don't sub, unless subbing can make you more money on a regular basis, but I don't think that is likely to happen with all the influx of subs in many areas.

17. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

I agree with Simba. Well, anyway, it SHOULD count!
    I can say with the utmost confidence that LTS is about five times harder than being the permanent teacher, especially if you come in the middle to the tail end of a semester. LTSubbing is like New York; if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.
    Keep subbing--keep yourself in the classroom as much as possible.

18. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 24, 2009

Why not go in and volunteer? I would do that. I would go into the office of the school or schools where I would like to have a job close to my home. I would explain that I am a certified teacher and took a year off to stay at home with my kids (sounds better than you were not rehired) and that you would just like to stay current on working with children and would like to volunteer. Become a regular in the school and let the people there get to know and trust you. If that does not earn you some brownie points nothing will AND you will be still collecting your unemployment checks. Best of luck!

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2009

I don't think that subbing this year will hurt your chances next year. If I were in your shoes I would probably collect unemployment and like another poster suggested see about adding an additional credential. Good luck!

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2009

You're gonna get paid either way, right. Even if it does come out of your unemployment, you're still going to get paid for the week right? So, if you work or don't work, you'll still get your money AND you can at least answer, in an interview what you were doing for the whole year, you can honestly say that you were still subbing.

Speaking of which, I need to look into if I qualify for unemployment. Mind if I quickly ask????

How long do you need to work in order to qualify? Like, I've been working for four years, but two of them were temp jobs and the other two years were as a probationary teacher. Also, they were at different school districts. Can I still apply?

22. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 24, 2009

:agreed:

I did a maternity leave replacement, starting right before winter break, through the end of the school year. I was supposed to get 2 transition days with the teacher, but she ended up going into labor early, so I was thrown in even earlier than expected. It was the toughest teaching experience, but the one from which I learned the most!

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 24, 2009

I was in your shoes last year. I stayed home and collected the UI. In the end, it just wasn't worth it to sub. When I added in the extra expense in gas, dry cleaning and food, I ended up in the negative. Make sure to take that into account. I was feeding two adults for around $40/week because I made everything from scratch. Now I'm double that $80. I don't think it mattered because I did find a position the next year.

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2009

Jem,
    When you reported the days you subbed, did your check still arrive in a timely manner? I was getting my unempl. checks every other Saturday, and I reported two days of subbing on the last form, and have not received a check since! It is about 6 days late as of now.
    Just wondering if my reported income slows down my checks.
    Thanks!
    ~

25. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2009

Im pretty sure you can file! Here is the link:
    http://www.edd.ca.gov/

26. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

In my area, I do not feel that subbing is taken as "real" experience. I have done 3 long terms in 3 different grades at 2 schools, and yet, during interviews I still get the "have you done anything else?" questions. I KNOW that subbing is "real" and incredible experience, I just do not feel that the districts feel the same way.

27. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

Hi Po,
    I am in the same boat. I was laid off after two years (the increased class size in K-3) and I am only subbing for my partners. I don't enjoy subbing after only having had my own classroom. It feels like babysitting. Are you on a rehire list? I am #1 on ours and am pretty sure I will have a job in the fall.
    Subbing doesn't really make sense when you are on UI, it ends up costing you money......just a thought!
    Mrs. Bran

28. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

Financially subbing may not make sense. However, if you can afford to pay the gas I would do it. I know that at my school we had about 10 subs today (our staff is maybe 35) and that they ALL want a job. No one who isn't subbing will get hired in my district next year!

29. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 30, 2009

I stopped subbing last year and got hired in January, so I don't think it will hurt your chances at all.
    I told the superintendent when I was interviewing that I was focusing on getting a job.

30. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Oct 1, 2009

If you can collect unemployment, and have what you earn subbing deducted, you won't be hurting yourself, IMHO. You have the security of the unemployment behind you if you don't get subbing work, but you can still work and keep you name in front of people who might be hiring next year.