Will medical leave look bad on a resume?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 13, 2021

Hi, everyone.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. After speaking with you all this weekend, I told myself I was going to stick it out and stay the year at my current job. However, this morning, I blacked out in the school parking lot after a horrific panic attack. I'm just happy I wasn't driving.

I took the day off to see my doctor, after my father drove me home. I'm thinking about going on medical leave for New Jersey. This way, I can spend time doing an intensive outpatient program that can help me get my anxiety in order.

I just worry because in the event that I do want to get hired for another teaching job, will leaving at the beginning of the school year look horrific on my resume?

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 20, 2021

Step one - PLEASE take care of yourself and your health - health is physical and mental

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that a medical leave while we are still dealing with covid and all of its related stuff, will probably be fine. But honestly, right now, please just take care of you. What comes later is just that: later.
    sending warm thoughts.

Tired Teacher and MrTempest like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2021

We do not view medical leave as an issue because there are all sorts of reasons to need it. I’ve done two in 29 years. One for my own illness and one to care for my mom.

I would think the only reason it would be an issue is if it was a frequent thing.

you definitely need to take care of yourself first.