Will kids ever learn?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Feb 14, 2007.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I wonder if kids will ever learn to stay OFF of ice. There's been a news helicopter hovering by my condo complex for the last 45 minutes or so and my boyfriend just called to tell me that 2 young boys fell into an ice-covered pond in the development next to mine. At least one of the boys was rushed to the hospital in pretty bad shape.

Its such a shame...I feel like something like this happens every time there is a snow storm! :-(

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 14, 2007

I heard about this while I was driving home this afternoon. Any updates?

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

The one boy was under the ice for 5-7 minutes and they finally resusitated him at the hospital. He's since been transferred to Cooper in Camden. Fox 29 news interviewed the other two boys, one from the same incident and one from an incident on the same lake earlier. I think they all learned their lesson.

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 15, 2007

thats terrible, I guess I"m too over protective of my kids to let them get out of my site.

6. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

ABall, good point, where are these children's parents???

7. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

I'm reminded of an old saying.

"Don't learn from other's mistakes--you may be the one who finally gets it right!"

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

Thinking the same thing. Just because theres snow doesn't mean there's ice!!!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

They had one of the boys' moms on tv and she just said that she always tells them not to play by the pond. There's actually a cargo net fence around the pond, so they had to climb over it to get by there in the first place. Even when I was their age (around 12) my parents had to know where I was at all times.

My cousin, who lives in the neighborhood where it happened, was on tv last night in the background when they were interviewing the sister. My cousin is 12 years old and knows the boys involved. Its just a crazy situation.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

Here's an article from a local news station-

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - February 14, 2007 - Firefighters rescued a 12-year-old boy who fell through the ice in Mount Laurel, New Jersey on Wednesday.

The boy, 12-year-old Mark Turco, is listed in critical but stable condition. The incident happened around 3:00 p.m. at the Stonegate Development.

Fire officials told Action News reporter Chad Pradelli that three boys, all around age 12, had gone out onto the ice near Elbo Lane and Long Bridge Drive.

Two fell into the water. One managed to get out on his own, but the other could not.

"I tried to get back on the ice and it broke," said Gerald Lamina, one of the boys who fell through the ice. "I kept on doing that and then I realized it's going to make a road and I can swim back to the land."

After Gerald made it out of the water, he ran home to get his mother and help for his friend, 12-year-old Mark Turco. Fortunately, the Mount Laurel Fire Department is located right across the street.

As firefighters scrambled to put on protective gear, Turco began to lose consciousness. Moments later, a firefighter got onto the ice.

"As he got two feet away from the child, the ice broke underneath of him. He regained his composure, then reached out for the child. At that point, the child was motionless," said Chief Robert Gallos.

He estimates Turco was in the water from five to seven minutes. Paramedics rushed the boy to the hospital. Gallos said by the time Turco arrived there, he was breathing again.

Turco is expected to remain in intensive care for 24 to 48 hours.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2007

About 3 weeks ago two 8th graders were playing on the ice at a local pond in a park. They kept on running out farther and farther until they heard the ice cracking. Well one ran a little to far out and fell through. By the time the other kid called for help, he did have a cell phone, it was to late and his friend drowned. It was so sad.

12. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 16, 2007

Wow! Yesterday I was driving and saw cops, firetrucks, and ambulances flying down the street. I got scared because there were so many emergency vehicles heading in the same direction that I thought there was a major accident. Turns out that 2 kids were playing on the ice behind the Acme and someone called 911. Luckily both kids were safe.

13. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Feb 23, 2007

It's so scary when you hear about all of these things happening. I just can't imagine letting your child play in an area that you know there is some sort of safety hazard without watching them. I hope that the children involved are ok and the children along with the parents learn a lesson!

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 25, 2007

And adults need to be reminded of the ice too. We live on a pond that is a mile and a half long. You would not believe the people who drive their cars on it! There is no ice fishing on it as it is a reclaimed pond. It drives me nuts, I close the curtains so I don't have to see them, even though I can hear them. I asked the police about it once, and there is no law stating they can't drive on it. Just seems foolish to me.