Will it get better?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsCK, Aug 3, 2011.

1. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 3, 2011

What do you think about whether or not teaching will "turn around"? Will there ever be jobs for teachers yet? Where can I find information about trends?

I was told in my interviews that if the economic situation were normal I would have been hired in a heartbeat. I am knowledgeable and passionate, but principals can find knowledge and passion AND experience all in one. Anyway, I am discouraged and wondering if I will ever be able to find a teaching job.

Any economists out there?

:help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2011

I think it's less about the economy than it is about a systematic deconstruction of the institution of education in our country. I believe that the powers that be have set and are continuing to set policy and impossible goals that will undoubtedly lead to the failure of the system.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

There will be jobs. Teachers will retire, others who will take a break to raise young children at home, and those who will just want out. Keep looking. You might have to be willing to commute or relocate, but I am sure you will find something eventually.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

Look, you just came very close to getting one job. There will be other opportunities yet.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 3, 2011

I do not doubt that the education system is inherently flawed (and thus a large factor). But the economy is in worse shape, and we haven't even anything yet. That's the thing.

I don't know a lot of things. What I'm certain of is that things (as they relate to the economy) will get worse. And not just a little worse. Policies we are taking practically ensure it.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2011

I don't think that it's necessarily true that the education system is flawed. I think that the way it is evaluated and funded is flawed.

And yes, I agree that the economy is going to get a lot worse. My family is getting prepared for an economic and societal meltdown.

8. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 3, 2011

Mine too. My husband doesn't have the rose-colored-glasses syndrome that I have. I hate that it's coming to this...it's really sad.

9. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I think it is about the area that you are looking. In my county we were again hiring over 100 teachers this year, this was after they layed off all teachers that had a Temporary Certificate and then hired them back.

Try looking at a different district.

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 3, 2011

Once the Boomers start retiring expect a bean-bagful of job openings. Until then, what was that minor in..???

11. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

The problem is that with the bad economy, the baby boomers are going to put off retiring. Very unfortunate for young teachers.

12. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

The other problem is that our birthrates aren't great. So the generation of the Boomers funded a ton of jobs in a variety of industries because there were just so many of them.

If they retire and we have fewer children, then their jobs will not be re-filled. Instead, the boom would be in nursing, gerontology, and other fields related to aging.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Some of us boomers are more than a decade away from retiring, thank you.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

Closer to 20 years from retiring! And I don't plan on being able to afford to retire!

I also remember hearing when I went to school eons ago that soon there will be lots of teachers retiring. Umm, when?

15. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

I'm wondering if there isn't going to be a handful of people getting hired AFTER school starts when schools that RIFfed people realize their increased class sizes are unrealistic...

16. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 6, 2011

YES! School has started in my home district, and since then, 20 positions have been posted. I've got 3 interviews! I'm sure this will happen in many places.