Will I Get Stomped?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Fairborn, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

I'm going to begin a long-term substitution for a first grade class. I've never taught first grade; usually I have been in the 3-5 grades. It's a very low-income charter school. Will I get stomped or do first graders still want to please--even for a sub? Ideas?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

go in and state your expectations. Remind them that you're not Mr./Mrs. So-and-so and explain your expectations. They will love you!

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

If you are starting out the school year, just remember that first graders need to be taught procedures. Over and over again until they have it. Lining up. Getting glue. How to ask to go to the bathroom. When it's ok to get a tissue. What to do with the tissue when they are done with it.

1st graders generally want to please and are eager to learn. Enjoy them!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 20, 2009

Remember that on the first day of school, they are kindergartners who have been on an extended vacation, often with little guidance. I have found that it takes several weeks of repeated teaching and reteaching of even the most minuscule of things (how to use a glue stick, cleaning your own mess in the bathroom, etc.), and even then they will need reminding throughout the year.

6. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you! The actual teacher has been there 2 weeks, and I'm going to go observe for a few days before she leaves to have the baby. Keeping my fingers crossed!

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

This happened to one of our kinder classes two years ago. An old grandma came in and took over. She did great! We thought she would get 'stomped' but she did very well.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 21, 2009

First graders sometimes rebel a little with change but through teaching procedures, reminding them you are a different teacher and MOSTLY through building rapport, you will have eager kids wanting to please the teacher. They may not be able to be as independent as the older elementary graders but they tend to love their teachers, want to please, etc. I absolutely adore first grade. I subbed for a first grade class last year for 3 weeks. I talked about their teacher some, reassured them, told them that their teacher left plans that she wants them to do and we want to make her proud. I also let them decorate welcome back cards and make a gift just before she came back. They had fun planning the surprise.

I assumed the teacher started the year first or you wouldn't be as worried about how they handle the sub.

Since it is at the beginning of the year, just know that drilling the procedures is necessary for all teachers, not just the sub.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2009

They can be like little robots.

Little, random, confused, slightly haywire little robots.