Will I find another teaching job?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeacherEmily, Jun 20, 2003.

1. TeacherEmily

TeacherEmily Rookie

Jun 20, 2003

Hi all--great board! I need some of your wonderful advice. I just finished my first year of teaching at a charter school. I taught 3rd grade. I loved the kids but the school is a mess! It's so unorganized, the administration is not in-sync at all, and there is at least one open position in each grade level for the upcoming year. What does that tell you?! I just recently got really fed up and decided to look at available positions in public schools. But so far, I haven't had much luck because a) most positions are full by now, or b)I'm not fully certified yet (which is why I got a job at the charter school easily).

Do I realistically have a shot at getting a job for next year or do you think I'm doomed to stay at my current school? I'm trying all I can but I am getting a lot of "Sorry, we're full" and some "Sorry, we can't hire you if you're not certified". A school was just about to hire me yesterday. The principal loved me but didn't realize I wasn't fully certified. So, she said she couldn't give me the job. Agh!

Emily

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 20, 2003

I'm a recent college grad with ECE certification... I would guess (Without knowing for sure) that you're going to have a REALLY hard time getting a job in a public school without an actual teaching certificate; I'm not sure they're allowed to hire you. How close are you to finishing your degree? Can you finish it up taking a few classes at night? That might get you some help, but not sure...

Good luck! Looking for jobs is tough, I'm going through that right now. :)

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 20, 2003

I know that schools around here will hire people who have "provisional" certification. This is a way to continue working on getting certified and still be able to teach. You can't get a job without being certified at all, though. This may vary by state. Check out your state's department of education website.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 20, 2003

I don't know what state you live in, but I'm an elementary education major in California, and in California, you get your provisional teachers credential after you finish student teaching, and then you have five years to meet the requirements to get your actual credential. Public schools can hire someone with their provisional credential, but not before that. Private school can do whatever they want to, and will often hire someone without a credential. I would definetly say your best bet is to stick with your current school until you have finished up your certification. I hope you can do so quickly - for your own sanity!

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 20, 2003

out of field

I am surprised that the Charter will take you back if you are uncertified, you can be out of field only ONE year. I think you have to answer your question based on what you have experienced. the charters are the only ones taking on people in my county while the public school needs to wait til all transfers and surplus positions are dealt with. THEN in july, they will know who can be hired!
    TAKE THE CHARTER! (i cant believe how you describe perfectly my charter i work for! can they ALL be like that?)

7. TeacherEmily

TeacherEmily Rookie

Jun 21, 2003

mommaruthie--Charter Schools?

mommaruthie, I'm starting to think that most charter schools are pretty much the same--disorganized and unstructured!! What is your charter like? What do you like/dislike about it? How long have you been at yours?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2003

Also, Ruth, who runs your charter school? Individuals, parent-board, corporation? Do they pay public school scale? Is it designed to attract specific student interests (like a magnet school)?

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 21, 2003

charter owned by one man

It is owned by one man yet run by Academia who we are hired thru. We ARE NOT teachers of Broward County School Board. We are employees of Academia. school web: www.somersetacademy.com The best advantage to that is I get credit in steps for any private school work i have done. I think you lose that with public school. This charter school is paying me comparable if not Better then dade and broward county public schools- i also get monies for my masters degree. I am getting better pay then public schools in our local counties since their benefits are being pulled. If i DONT use my benefits/insurance I get back several hundred a month! BIG disadvantage is no retirement monies and the 401 k is NOT matched.

I can only sum up my first year there as being a combination of Public school and Private school in ONE. Its attraction (multiage classrooms)is not welcomed by all including teachers. (i love multi age classrooms and have much experience so it wasnt as challenging as it was for many. We have full time assistants and only 26 kids per class. Until this year, the school did not have 'special area teachers'. You were it!

The school is funded by grants written by a super woman/the principal. She is an amazing person whom i can only wish to be half the professional she is. She then has an assistant principal to run the prek-2nd grade. One assistant principal to run the 3-5 (located in a second building behind the first) and another assistant principal to run the 6-9. Next year we add tenth grade. And a third building which is due to open for the Fall. (Thats another entire story which includes hurricane season and inspections etc...)I am certain since we are a PUBLIC school there are government or city FETC (spelling?) monies you get for the number of students enrolled and free/reduced lunches?
    next year would be the schools 4th year open and there are many who have 'stuck it out' starting in a modular (a HUGE portable but a wing with several rooms) until the main building was built.
    Then the main building was built and opened for only grades prek-2. It didnt have the occupancy into the cafeteria which is only an assembly line not a real operating kitchen. The occupancy took place THIS year in August. The building is so new but quite shabby. Needing much work on the safety issue. Cleanliness. It is only four miles from my home and one block from the Everglades where you cant go any further West! (which means NO traffic!) IT IS HOWEVER an awesome environment for me to work in where i can be aggressive with my traditional ALA montessori philosophy. My classroom becomes my platform/stage to be able to take my students far and once my classroom door is shut..... I am HAPPY. I no longer want to know about the 'staff' and socially how are they. I am there to do the best I can do in my room and dont want to hear from the other teachers and their woes. Negativity. We also dont have much of a lounge or breaks for people to have time to just sit and socialize. (other then air filters needing changes- my room isnt the one with water leaking for ten months of the year so me, I am NOT complaining.:D )
    We dont have clerical supplies offered to us monthly. We dont get reimbursements more then the one time one hundred dollars. We DO get parent support who are required to commit to 30 volunteer hours per child. They must have met at least half their hours completed before reregistration deadline. The classroom teacher can provide the volunteer time with projects or materials purchased or sending home stuff to be cut out. We are required to write weekly news letters of the events of the week and what will occur the following week. In order to get anything purchased there needs to be a fundraiser or a grant written. We desperately needed certain things at our school to be dealt with that were not expedited because its not County maintained. (getting rid of an aligator on our campus was not instantaneous)

I cant say charter is for everyone. I love it because of where i have been and what types of administration i have worked for and also I am sick of the EVERY YEAR new adoption of textbooks or changes in academic programs. I am super flexible though to adapt whatever program our school requires based on the grants received. I am a great candidate for charter having the corporate/private school experience, and the understanding of the Business part of education and also coming from inner city and other schools that may not have been well kept and were shabbier too.

10. Laneydickerson

Laneydickerson New Member

Jun 22, 2003

Finding a job

TeacherEmily- Explain what you mean but not fully certified. Have you gotten your bachelors in early childhood or elementary ed? Have you done the 132 hours or whatever it is now, at a college, if so, all you need to do is have your college apply to the capital for your certification, at my school I just went to the "office of Certification" and asked the Dean of the Education college to reccommend me for certification to the state. When you get that done, wait 2-3 months and it should come in the mail. Until then, check out some other charter schools, I know one im my area that is very well ran, but others sometimes aren't. How about private or Catholic schools? If they are not considered a "public" school and funded fully by the state and government they have their own set of rules and don't necessarily need a fully certified teacher. Have you registered yourself in teacher listservs like MOReap (this is the Missouri version, where I am from, but it is in many other states also.) Or Teachersteachers.com is a database schools can access umemployed teachers. Many times the college you graduate from will keep a file on you if you request it, and schools will actually come to them for recent graduates. Another option is the Department of Defense... basically you can opt to stay in the US or go overseas, I have heard many fascinating things about teaching abroad, many are military bases and military camps, but you never know! Because of the budget cuts this year, its a bad time to be looking for a job. Can you hang in there for at least another year? Stay on, but still interview and put your app out. There will most likely be a hiring frenzy at the end of August. Schools will realize they can't put 40 kids in a room, and they will have to hire more even if it means going in debt, otherwise the gov. will not ALLOW them to have that many kids in a classroom. I started looking in DEC. and I just got hired on June 19, but it took 22 interviews and 25 different districts to apply to before I got it. Stay positive, and go bug the people nicely. Go to their building and offer to put a face to a name, I did that at my school and my principal really said that helped show my seriousness about the position. Email them, call them and always send thank you cards whenever you are able to talk with them. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 22, 2003

Back to Charter Schools. The school leader makes all the difference in the world! I've been at my charter school for 2 1/4 yrs. I loved it the first 1 1/4 yrs. Then my school leader retired! She was super organized, got us whatever we needed, when we needed it. She could find money anywhere, stretch a dollar. First one in the building, almost always the last one out. Was always there, unless she had to go to a meeting for the company, which was once a month. The students & parents respected her.

Our new, actually current for this past year, school leader is soo disorganized! If there is a meeting that she has to stay late for, she comes in late. She walks in the door in the morning with the students, if she is in the building she's either behind closed doors or on the phone. She sometimes leaves with the children. She goes to every workshop that she can and takes her "friends" with her. She has hired tutors & male mentors, that we never had money for before, these people are family members or friends of the family. She was given money for the Kindergarten Round-up, but didn't use any of it. It is very difficult to get needed supplies. If a parent doesn't like something that a teacher has done, they go to her & she makes you change whatever you did. She gives in to the parents. The children do not respect teachers anymore.

I never thought I would leave, but I can't stand the way things are now. The focus is on having fun and parties and not the benchmarks. I've interviewed at other charters, but haven't found anything. I won't be able to teach Kinder in public schools as I don't have my early childhood endorsement or at least 9 hours toward it. Public schools are just beginning to look for teachers.

It's been a very stressful year with new administration, but only 3 more staff days & I'm done!!!

12. Laneydickerson

Laneydickerson New Member

Jun 23, 2003

WOW!

That sounds like quite a puzzle. Good luck! Maybe you can get your last nine hours this next semester or year and then be out of there by next year. They say things will be turning around with the budget in a year or two... but then again, who is "they"?

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2003

My husband & I just had this HUGE discussion last night. He doesn't seem to understand that I had to leave, I did not have the option of staying. I left because I needed to, if I didn't she wasn't going to offer me a contract.

Getting the 9 hours I need in a semster or year is not possible for several reasons. Money being at the top of the list. I can barely afford to take 1 class (2 hours) at a time plus, I need to continue working. I wouldn't be able to give my family what they need, work full-time and go to school full-time, even if money wasn't the issue. Why are grad classes soo expensive?!?!:confused:

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2003

Mommaruthie- Only 26 kids in a charter school? What size are the public achool classes? 26 is A LOT!!
    Original poster- Get the certification! Sub if you can, get on tutoring lists (You should be able to do both of these without certification, plus you get your foot in the door for when your cert is met)